NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 PM
Phil

Default 53 Bowman Color Condition Debate With a Friend

A fellow collector/friend dropped these off at my home a few days ago and being that we are cautious I didn't open the envelope until just a bit ago. He has a group of 53 Bowmans that he'd like to sell to me and these are a representative example. I expressed interest, but we came to a disagreement on the conditioning; I told him that I would grade the Houtteman and Jethroe as being in vg/ex+ condition while the Shantz and Erskine I would grade at vg/ex. Yes, there are centering issues and we collected off-centered cards. I'm fanatical about the corners and since there is some amount of wear I couldn't consider them to be in excellent condition. He disagrees with my assessment, therefore I would like your input. Thank you.53 bowman 3 and 4.jpg

53 bowman 11 and 12.jpg
Old 01-04-2021, 01:30 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Based on what I can see in the photos, I believe your assessment is fair.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-04-2021, 05:07 AM
Bob F.

Ditto.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:22 AM
Howard Chasser

Default opinion

Qualifier - what you are asking is super hard with scans and without the cards in hand. That said:

I would call the Houtteman and Jethroe Ex- and the only thing I can see indicating the "-" is the top right corner on the Jethroe and the bottom left corner on the Houtteman. The other 3 corners appear for sure nicer than the ones on the graded copy Bob posted.

Erskine - VG/EX
Shantz - EX
Old 01-04-2021, 07:27 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Qualifier - what you are asking is super hard with scans and without the cards in hand. That said:

I would call the Houtteman and Jethroe Ex- and the only thing I can see indicating the "-" is the top right corner on the Jethroe and the bottom left corner on the Houtteman. The other 3 corners appear for sure nicer than the ones on the graded copy Bob posted.

Erskine - VG/EX
Shantz - EX
Thank you, Howard. I know it is better to have the cards in plain sight but under the circumstances, this is the best I could muster. The reverse sides of the four cards are free of any wax, gum, or markings.

My friend is somewhat difficult to deal with, I would describe doing business with him as jousting. This is why I sought some third-party input.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Al Stein

I would also say the cards are EX except for Erskine. The PSA 4 card is of course over-graded. Probably trimmed too and maybe a reprint.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Phil

Thank you, Al, I appreciate the input. If I can come to an agreement with my friend I will have another 20 singles. The problem is that my friend separates business from friendship while he expects me to place a premium on friendship. He's a good person, but very hard to deal with when it comes to his cards.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I would call them VG-EX, the Erskine VG+.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
Thank you, Al, I appreciate the input. If I can come to an agreement with my friend I will have another 20 singles. The problem is that my friend separates business from friendship while he expects me to place a premium on friendship. He's a good person, but very hard to deal with when it comes to his cards.
Haha, tell him those cards are borderline EX at best.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2021, 09:16 PM
Phil

He acknowledged that the Erskine was weak. The other 3 cards he's convinced are in ex to ex+ condition. When I sell my upgrades I usually am able to recover my expenses or make a buck or two, remember I purchase almost all of my cards from eBay sellers. There is a lot of price competition for cards below excellent condition. I offered him $30 for the four cards, he turned me down flat.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:20 PM
�tis J�hns�n

In 1977 they would all be NR MT. Today your assessment seems strict but accurate.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
In 1977 they would all be NR MT. Today your assessment seems strict but accurate.
I remember those days well. We all recognized condition, but it wasn't that important; just having the card was the thing. My 53 Bowman Mantle that I had in the late 70s had a number written on the back, but I didn't care- I had a Bowman Mantle! When I see the group that collects pre 1920 vintage cards, it's interesting to see that the card trumps the condition. I know that's due to the scarcity, but even among post WW2 card collectors, it's also great to see that a card doesn't need to be an investment-portfolio item to be enjoyed.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:16 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I remember those days well. We all recognized condition, but it wasn't that important; just having the card was the thing. My 53 Bowman Mantle that I had in the late 70s had a number written on the back, but I didn't care- I had a Bowman Mantle! When I see the group that collects pre 1920 vintage cards, it's interesting to see that the card trumps the condition. I know that's due to the scarcity, but even among post WW2 card collectors, it's also great to see that a card doesn't need to be an investment-portfolio item to be enjoyed.
I agree. One of the reasons I collect raw cards. If they look decent I'm happy especially on the really rare cards. Grading seems to bring about a lot of stress for collectors based on some threads I see. Heck, I'll never sell any cards. That will be someone else's problem. LOL.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:22 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Agree. I collect only pure cards (I detest the term "raw". as if being slabbed makes them "fresh"?)
I have freed many cards from their plastic prisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
I agree. One of the reasons I collect raw cards. If they look decent I'm happy especially on the really rare cards. Grading seems to bring about a lot of stress for collectors based on some threads I see. Heck, I'll never sell any cards. That will be someone else's problem. LOL.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:04 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Agree. I collect only pure cards (I detest the term "raw". as if being slabbed makes them "fresh"?)
I have freed many cards from their plastic prisons
Me too. Both graded cards and action figures.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:48 PM
Phil

As I've chronicled previously, I started assembling my 53 Bowman color set in December of 2019 and completed it by late April of 2020. At first, I was purchasing only unslabbed cards off of eBay and still do, but I ran into situations where I was receiving altered cards. I saw two that were relisted on eBay this evening, the Spahn and the Martin/Rizzuto cards.

Since then I've focused more on slabbed cards in the 5-6 range, which is the condition that I find satisfactory. My major stars, Mantle, Musial, and Reese are in vg/ex and will probably remain so; my Berra is an o/c 5, but most of my set isn't perfectly centered which is okay with me. The only real issues I have with collecting are rounded corners, trimmed cards, and wrinkles/creases. There are three cards with creases in my set and about another thirty with corner issues which I'm seeking to upgrade. As for my slabbed cards, I really don't want to break them out, but instead, trade them for their "natural equivalents" someday.