NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Exhibit Co. display pieces

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I recently acquired the Exhibit diplays scanned below (they are both blank backed. The second scan has some glare because I left it in the plastic the dealer put it in,) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me when these were made, or anything else about these or similar pieces. The individulal player cards that are shown are extremely thin. The cards and the label are seperately affixed to the black backing. I bought these at Brimfield this morning from a dealer who said she had cleaned out a store back in the 1970s in NY (the store name begins with an M, with sies at the end, but I cannot remember the entire store name) with a ton of Exhibit stuff (machines, displays and cards). She also had several movie star displays that were the same as these, as well as larger movie star displays. She said she had sold nearly all of her sports ones back in the late 1980s, but dug these out recently. Sorry for the long post, but any additional information regarding these displays would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Pretty neat pieces. I don't have too much too add other than that I believe the Irv Comp is among the really tough cards in the 1948-52 Football Exhibits set to aquire.
-Rhett

Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but weren't these displayed in the front of the vending machines? I would assume they are contemporary to the cards on the sign.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Thanks David and Rhett! Rhett, I never knew about Irv Comp being a toughie for this set (I will keep an eye out for his card in the future). David, I thought these went in the front of the machines, but I did want to make sure. I will probably post these on the Memorabilia forum as I would love to see some baseball displays that are similar.
Thanks again,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've seen baseball and movie stars versions and they were the same style as yours, with the black backgrounds. I've usually seen them in the big auctions, like Mastro, so they're probably pretty scarce.

I give a thumbs up on your pickup.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Carl Lamendola

They were in exhibit machines. They're around.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

As front displays. They are found in a wide variety of subjects and are not particularly rare, although depending on who is on the front they can be quite valuable. Some of the displays are made with a glossy paper version of the cards, which are occasionally found separated from or separately from the bases. The slogan and price info is printed on a separate strip of board that is pasted to the main background; I suppose this made sense since many subjects would be using the same info. There are also checklist cards that list that year's issue for a particular subject. These are occasionally found made into actual cards. I have also come across display pieces made from actual cards roughly stapled to the background board.

ESCO originally printed single-piece placards for the machine fronts. They are rare and quite valuable. A good example can be seen on my web site of a 1921 display for the boxing/wrestling issue.

http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com/Exhibit_Boxing_Cards.html

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc