NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Default Two Major Additions To My Nebraska Indians Collection

Just got these in the mail today....Large size cabinet photos. 1906-1907

George Johnson is in this photo third from left in the back row. I'm trying to figure out if Jack Warhop is in this photo...anyone have a good front facing pic of Warhop without a hat on?

This is the other cabinet - it's cut down off the board, but it's in great condition....and it fit on my scanner.

The interesting thing about this cabinet is that it's obviously from the same sitting as another cabinet photo I picked up in an REA auction a few years back...they put on their warmups for one of the photos, but for the most part they tried to remain in the same position.

here is the REA example
Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Jon Canfield

Cool stuff. Love the "same sitting" photos
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Ricky Anderson

Nice stuff Dan. I always like seeing the new Nebraska related things especially the Nebraska Indians stuff that you post. Do you find it mostly locally or is through Ebay and other sources? What does your Nebraska Indians collection consist of? I know I've seen photos, postcards, books, and pins. Any other stuff relating to them? Are most of the things affordable or do you have a lot of competition on things? Sorry so many questions, I'm just fascinated by this part of collecting.

Last edited by rickybulldog50; 08-05-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Mike H.

Stunning images Dan. Congratulations
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Greg T.

Great stuff Dan. I was thinking the same thing Ricky was thinking...where do you find this stuff?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Dan Bretta

Thanks guys....I find most of it on ebay. They actually rarely played games in Nebraska during the postcard era. Most of their travel was in the Northeast and Central parts of the US...When Guy Green sold the team they started playing most of their games around Nebraska, but the new owners were not as good at marketing the team as Green was so they didn't sell many postcards or other items. These photos originated in Wisconsin...one of them has the name P. Hardeson on the back, but I've never found that name associated with the team.

Ricky, I used to bid on all Nebraska Indians items even if I already had it and since I stopped doing that the prices have come down. Postcards that used to sell for $75-$100 now sell for less than $50. I will only bid now if it's a significant upgrade or it's something I don't have. I still think it's an underrated and virtually unexplored era of baseball collecting...the Nebraska Indians were a big attraction during their era, but have been almost forgotten today. Nobody I ever talk to about them locally had ever heard of them before I told them.

I have my NI collection online here: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...seball%20Team/

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Jimmy

Congrats Dan.
I'm thinking of pre-ordering the McFarland reprint of Guy Green's books.

http://www.amazon.com/Nebraska-India...9575405&sr=1-2
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Dan Bretta

Jimmy, yep....I'm pretty sure this edition includes both of Guy Green's books. I have the originals, and I have the 1991? edition of the McFarland reprint of the Fun and Frolic book...this will be the first time that "The Nebraska Indians: A Complete History" will be reprinted.

I'm still looking for a copy of "Fun and Frolic..." that is NOT a 4th edition.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Jim VB

Great stuff, Dan!

By the way, did anyone mention that O'Keefe was asking for you at the Net 54 dinner? He even offered to buy you a beer sometime.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Dan Bretta

Cool. I've got no problem with O'Keeffe...I think he's doing a good job helping to expose fraud in our hobby. Wish I could have been there...maybe next year, but for sure in Chicago in 2011.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Ricky Anderson

Dan,
That's pretty dang impressive. I liked how you added other things to your display (ball, glove, etc.), it looks really great! I did check your photos, do you own the broadside as well? You mentioned that you stopped bidding on dupes for your collection, are there other collectors/competition in this area of collecting? If so, do they have similar pieces as you? Also, are there pieces that you know exist, but currently don't have?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybulldog50 View Post
Dan,
That's pretty dang impressive. I liked how you added other things to your display (ball, glove, etc.), it looks really great! I did check your photos, do you own the broadside as well? You mentioned that you stopped bidding on dupes for your collection, are there other collectors/competition in this area of collecting? If so, do they have similar pieces as you? Also, are there pieces that you know exist, but currently don't have?
Ricky, I do not own the broadside...I do not know anyone that collects the Nebraska Indians stuff...there never seemed to be any pattern in ebay bids where I could figure out my main competition. Lots of times my competition came from Native American collectors and not baseball collectors.

There are currently four items that I know exist but do not own.
-This postcard - a variation on one I already own, but I want all the variations.

This cabinet photo

This RPPC

And this broadside that was sold in an Oregon Trails auction in the mid 1990s.

There was also a letterhead that I lost out on about 5-6 years ago on ebay..I bid it up to $600 and still came in second. I lost out to someone that collects letterheads, not just baseball related either. The letter's content was about a Japanese team that Guy Green was intending to put together, but it was on NI stationary. I did win an identical envelope just recently though.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Default Nebraska Indians

I love the recent pickups Dan; Your collection is very impressive.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Archive

Nice stuff Dan. A really nice display of items. If I ever come across anything in my searching I'll send you a heads up.

Jantz
Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Clint

Dan, fantastic images. Thanks for sharing your collection.