NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Steve Freedman

Default What to do when a player you like ends up on a team you don't?

What do you do when a player you like and respect and have rooted for years for ends up on a team that you despise. I'm a Payton Manning fan, but, I'm an Oakland Raiders fan. Because I'm a Raiders fan, I, naturally, hate the Broncos! I'd love to see Manning do well, but I'd like to see the Bronco's go 0-16. What do you do in this case? Hope that your player does well, but his team doesn't? Root for the player and team because you like him? Stick by your original loyalties and damn the player and his team? I'm hoping Payton does well, but that the Broncos stink and end up missing the playoffs.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Team sports

Steve,
I hear you man!
My favorite teams/players are Mike Schmidt, Steve Yzerman and Dan Marino.
Those guys all share a unique feat by only playing with one team, my favorite team.
And those aren't "recent players", which means that i've had trouble picking favorites in the era that sees free agents and many player movements.

I like Hunter Pence quite a bit and he was moved 2 weeks ago. I cannot really cheer for the Giants, although they are on the "Familytoad Less-Loathed List".
If Pence can hit well and put up good personal numbers without making the team win too much, I'd be rather happy
He was pretty deft at that already so far in 2012 with my beloved Phils, so I think he can do it again!
That's the beauty of team sports I guess

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Alan U

I usually lose interest in that player if they go to a team I really don't like.

On the other hand, I didn't know what to do when Iverson played for the Nuggets a few years back, I like the Nuggets, but really disliked "Mr. Practice" Iverson.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:35 PM
$teve O.

I was a huge Larry Bowa fan.When he was traded to the Cubs,I would follow
the box scores.When the Phillies played the Cubs,I wanted him to go have a big game,and I wanted the Cubs to lose!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Steve Freedman

When Pete Rose signed with the Phillies, I was such a huge fan that I switched allegiances to the Phillies. When he was traded to the Expos, I switched back to the reds.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Tim Sanders

Default I refuse to acknowledge they exist anymore..

I am currently trying to convince my 8 yr old son that there are only 49 states - simply because Zach Parise signed with Minnesota. Luckily he was number 4 on the depth chart of favorites... so his loss did not hurt as much!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Very interesting - I had sort of the opposite happen. I have always been both a Cowboys and a Broncos fan. I couldn't stand Craig Morton and was thrilled to see him get traded to the hated NY Giants. But then they traded him to the Broncos. I had to pull for my team, as that comes before the player. So I would say, you have to continue to hate the Broncos, but hope Manning does well - nothing wrong with respecting a good player. I respect Eli, even though I still hate the Giants.

PS - Cowboys come before Broncos, so I doubly enjoyed seeing the Cowboys spank the Broncos (and Morton) in the '77 Superbowl.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Dave

As a Yankee fan I always rooted for my favorites like Willie Randolph, Mickey Rivers, Dave Winfield, Craig Nettles, Don Baylor, etc.., to do well after they left the team, regardless of where they went.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I love the Cubs. I love Ryne Sandberg. Dislike the Phillies and...annoyed...that he's in the Phils org.

I'll root for the Cubs to beat the Phillies, but I absolutely hope Sandberg has a great career outside the Cubs org.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I was a huge Larry Bowa fan.When he was traded to the Cubs,I would follow
the box scores.When the Phillies played the Cubs,I wanted him to go have a big game,and I wanted the Cubs to lose!
I feel the same way -- just need to swap out the player name and team name.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM

I consider myself to be an open-minded sports fan who loves the games more than specific teams...and even though I am not really a fan of his, it took some getting used to when Pete Rose was no longer wearing a "C" on his helmet!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

As a Cleveland fan, I find it hard to not love a player that you cherished over the years, despite their new allegiances. When Albert Belle went to the ChiSox, I still liked and respected Albert. I understood the move. Same when Thome went to the Phillies/White Sox/Twins/etc..Still liked the guy. Omar in Chicago, no problem. Same for Lofton. V-mart in Boston and Detroit(two teams that I despise), again no problem. CC to the Yankees(ughh), still no problem...I still respect what these players have done for the Indians and other organizations. Hell, I still love Manny...

However, and I know this is a broken record(and different sport), but when Lebron went to Miami(which I will note as a team I always liked). I suddenly hate them both...And no, this isn't about 'the decision" or any of that mess. Something just doesn't seem right about it to me.. and it may just be that the current Heat and the way the team was assembled, seems to circumvent all that we know and love about sports and competition. It's kinda like finding out that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Pam Anderson's tits weren't real all at once...I still can't watch the NBA because I think that professionally, the competitive nature of the sport is ruined..
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Brian T.

I know that Rose played in Philly and Montreal and did well in Philly, but he will always be a Red to me.

Some things just don't look right - like Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform.

Provided that the departure isn't ugly, I generally wish for them to do well, but only maintain a passing interest in actively following them.

As an aside, as a Cleveland Cavs fan how they feel about Lebron James.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
As a Cleveland fan, I find it hard to not love a player that you cherished over the years, despite their new allegiances. When Albert Belle went to the ChiSox, I still liked and respected Albert. I understood the move. Same when Thome went to the Phillies/White Sox/Twins/etc..Still liked the guy. Omar in Chicago, no problem. Same for Lofton. V-mart in Boston and Detroit(two teams that I despise), again no problem. CC to the Yankees(ughh), still no problem...I still respect what these players have done for the Indians and other organizations. Hell, I still love Manny...
What? No Carlos Baerga reference? or Sandy Alomar? or Paul Assenmacher?

(I was right there with you rooting for them if you couldn't tell)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
What? No Carlos Baerga reference? or Sandy Alomar? or Paul Assenmacher?

(I was right there with you rooting for them if you couldn't tell)
Why not just include Glenallen Hill, Candy Maldanado Alvaro Espinosa and "Hard Hittin" Mark Whitten? I'd have included them too, but those guys were pretty much irrelevant by the time they left.. I probably could've included Colon, Lee, Sexton, Giles, Casey, Burnitz, Jeff Kent, Julio Franco, Matt Williams, Dave Justice and Grady Sizemore....Oh Wait! Grady's still an Indian, I think...At this point, I'd be happy to see him in "any" uniform...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

when favre went to the vikings, not one packer fan wanted him to do well, but for the vikings to lose, they all wanted him to break both legs.