NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-06-2021, 05:05 PM
Wayne V

Default 1962 Jell-o PTP (player to product)

While I am here, I thought I should mention, Ken is definitely still looking for information on what players appeared on what boxes. That is not just for pudding boxes, but gelatin boxes. Many players are still unknown.
I'm sure Ken would appreciate any help that anyone can give on this.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:48 AM
John

Default 1962 Jell-O Romano

I know it's a bit off topic, but Ebay currently has two 1962 Jell-O Romano's listed and one is listed as "A" and the other is listed as "B". I can't see any difference between the two.

Can anyone explain the difference between the "A" and "B" variant?

Thanks, John
Old 03-15-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid714 View Post
I know it's a bit off topic, but Ebay currently has two 1962 Jell-O Romano's listed and one is listed as "A" and the other is listed as "B". I can't see any difference between the two.

Can anyone explain the difference between the "A" and "B" variant?

Thanks, John
I think it is just to differentiate the two separate 1962 Jell-O Romano cards that the seller has listed, I have seen other eBay sellers do that.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:12 PM
Ken Marks

Default 1962 Jell-O Romano

The two Romano cards do seem to be the same to me. Will say I have looked at a lot of cards in this set trying to find players who appeared on two or more different flavor boxes. And for the 1962 Jell-O issue, it is much tougher to determine this than doing it for the Post Cereal cards ... and really the 63 Jell-O cards also. Normally in making this determination, one compares the cropping of the picture, colors of the card (including the shade of the yellow of the stat background) of these Jell-O cards. Some other Post/Jell-O card issues have differences in the narrative portion of the card that indicates multiple box appearances by a player. However for the 62 Jell-Os cards, I am not aware of any of these narrative differences. And that is about all you have beyond the shininess of the overall card coming from cards from pudding flavors. One of the factors that increases difficulty in looking at these Jell-O cards is certainly that the picture cropping is much tougher to spot than in other card promotions. Cropping differences in this set tend to be pretty minimal. Since there is no historical information on which players were on which flavor boxes, that only makes things tougher.

Related to Romano card specifically, he did appear on at least two different Jell-O boxes ... a 3 oz. Orange-Pineapple box and a 6 oz. Black Cherry box. This is known as there are examples in the hobby of these two Romano boxes that have been seen, primarily on eBay or other auctions.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Wayne V

Default Not mine, but I wish

These 2 boxes were from the recent Memory Lane Auction. The Aaron went for over $4000, the Maris went for around $2000.
The Aaron/Orange box was not yet on Ken's list.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:02 PM
Wayne V

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
These 2 boxes were from the recent Memory Lane Auction. The Aaron went for over $4000, the Maris went for around $2000.
Another picture of the Maris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2021-07-29-17-32-20-1-1.jpg (19.7 KB, 346 views)
Old 08-25-2021, 09:09 AM
Mike Reid

This Cash is on eBay now. Looks like chocolate.
1A4E0B88-3C07-4371-9268-938EC040D887.jpg
Old 08-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Michael Skiles

Default New ID

I have added the Aaron-Orange Box to my list. I also have found that card number 88 Bill Tuttle may be from Lemon Flavor Jell-O. I am trying to get a good scan to come out. I can see Yellow outside the border at the bottom of the end of the statistics.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:00 PM
Ken Marks

Default Pudding Cards

Just checking in to see if anyone else has found more 62 Jell-O pudding cards.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:22 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Hail Mary

There was a 1962 Harmon Killebrew box used to illustrate an article on Sports Collectors Daily (https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ey-mantle-box/). I am trying to 1) locate the box and 2) try to arrange to purchase if possible. Anyone know where it is? Thanks.

Howard

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

Last edited by hcv123; 10-21-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:30 AM
Wayne V

Default Tuttle Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post

I have added the Aaron-Orange Box to my list. I also have found that card number 88 Bill Tuttle may be from Lemon Flavor Jell-O. I am trying to get a good scan to come out. I can see Yellow outside the border at the bottom of the end of the statistics.
This is a Tuttle box (orange gelatin) that I once owned, since traded away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-05-18-18-26-37-1.jpg (20.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-07-15-15-06-01-1.jpg (11.7 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-07-15-15-05-19-1.jpg (17.1 KB, 238 views)
Old 11-10-2021, 07:52 PM

My first post, and with it, a request for the estimated value of the pictured 1962 Jello boxes. I submitted these for an auction, and they ended up 'missing'. Needless to say, I was not pleased with a $100 offer of restitution.

Ken Marks, was kind enough to offer his thoughts, and I wanted to get some other opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1313 (1).jpg (46.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1314 (1).jpg (45.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėăšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedudeabides View Post
My first post, and with it, a request for the estimated value of the pictured 1962 Jello boxes. I submitted these for an auction, and they ended up 'missing'. Needless to say, I was not pleased with a $100 offer of restitution.

Ken Marks, was kind enough to offer his thoughts, and I wanted to get some other opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Based on prices listed by previous posts in this thread that is terrible compensation. If a Roger Maris went for $2000 I would expect Ernie Banks to match that or come close.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 11-11-2021, 01:18 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedudeabides View Post

Whatever Ken Marks tells you you can take to the bank ( or auction house in this case)!

Are you willing to say which auction house? Or PM me with this info if you don't want to make it public
Old 11-11-2021, 11:57 AM

Hey, THEDUDEABIDES, I am so very, very sorry to hear about your loss. That is downright lousy. Their crumbum restitution is robbery, and I think you could take the matter to court. Straight-up honest, bro, I feel just horrible for you. It had to be brutal giving those up in the first place. Ouch X 10 to the 3rd power!!!!!

I hope Ken and some others come to your aid and support.

A strong, brotherly hug to you, bud. That does not make my day. That auction house better look around A WHOLE LOT CLOSER, 'CAUSE I THINK THEY KNOW WHERE THEY ARE!!!!!!! I know things can get lost, but any auction house knows that's one of the paramount rules----YOU DON'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LOSE TRACK OF YOUR CONSIGNORS' GEMS!!!!!!!

--- Brian Powell
Old 11-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Really curious which auction house as well

In the first place to "lose" them and in the second place to only offer you $100 is despicable - as the other post suggested - either privately or publicly - really would love to know which auction house this is. Pricing is really hard as they surface and sell so rarely. I would say a floor value of $800-$1K on the Banks and $500-$750 on the Santo with the possibility with the right competitive bidding on them that they could go considerably higher.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:52 PM

Many thanks to those who've responded so far, and for the PM's. Ken Marks has been of great assistance. Harder to find a nicer guy. Mark
Old 11-13-2021, 10:12 AM

Tell that contemptible auction house to begin a fresh search and scour their joint top to bottom. Tell them expert Ken Marks has been informed of this slip-up, and he will inform all of his fellow 1962 JELL-O buddies to be on the look-out for these 2 precious boxes. With the clear scan you showed us, they will be possible to identify them.

My metamessage for you to convey to that auction house is that steps are being taken to notice them on the market, and should anyone at the auction dare to sell them "out the back door" it will be found out!!!!!

This all sounds rather neurotic, but look what has happened?

EXACTLY. We're all pulling for you on here, bro. --- Brian Powell
Old 11-17-2021, 11:24 PM
Ken Marks

Default Great idea.

Wonderful thought Brian. Totally agree that if collectors who are interested in this situation keep there eyes open, even if it is just a handful of us, it would be tough to put it up for sale on eBay or in an auction. It is likely that Santo only appeared on the Orange Pineapple gelatin. Same with Banks although he was also on at least two pudding flavors. At least that is all we have tracked to date. Not sure how many of those boxes exist, but can't be many (I have a Santo--opened on the other side Mark ) Not sure if you have any other pictures from different angles that might be helpful. There should be traits of your box that help identify them down the road (location of price stamp, general condition of box, side box was opened, and how much of the open end of the box is gone/left.

We talked value on the phone and I would continue to seek input from Wayne as he is the most knowledgeable collector I know with current values of 1962 Jell-O (and research tools to help). My view is that we likely are not talking thousands of dollars here. Back about three years ago, at an REA auction I bought three 1962 Jell-O flats (so never had product inside them) and seems it might have cost me maybe $800. Players were Fox, T. Davis, and Malzone. Flats were in top shape. Then maybe a little before the pandemic, bought a full unopened box of 1962 Jell-O Coconut Cream Pudding with Roger Maris on it. Am pretty certain that price was short of a $1000. So as we have talked, I don't believe these boxes are worth thousands. I would be more at like $1000 max and probably less. But again, absolutely defer to Wayne and his research as bidding wars can escalate prices amazingly.

Brian-why don't you make everyone drool a little bit and post your top-tier 62 Jell-O item on this thread.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:39 PM

Thanks Ken, here are a few more pictures, with higher resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1318 (2).jpg (74.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1319 (2).jpg (73.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1320 (1).jpg (74.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 11-21-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
Wonderful thought Brian. Totally agree that if collectors who are interested in this situation keep there eyes open, even if it is just a handful of us, it would be tough to put it up for sale on eBay or in an auction. It is likely that Santo only appeared on the Orange Pineapple gelatin. Same with Banks although he was also on at least two pudding flavors. At least that is all we have tracked to date. Not sure how many of those boxes exist, but can't be many (I have a Santo--opened on the other side Mark ) Not sure if you have any other pictures from different angles that might be helpful. There should be traits of your box that help identify them down the road (location of price stamp, general condition of box, side box was opened, and how much of the open end of the box is gone/left.

We talked value on the phone and I would continue to seek input from Wayne as he is the most knowledgeable collector I know with current values of 1962 Jell-O (and research tools to help). My view is that we likely are not talking thousands of dollars here. Back about three years ago, at an REA auction I bought three 1962 Jell-O flats (so never had product inside them) and seems it might have cost me maybe $800. Players were Fox, T. Davis, and Malzone. Flats were in top shape. Then maybe a little before the pandemic, bought a full unopened box of 1962 Jell-O Coconut Cream Pudding with Roger Maris on it. Am pretty certain that price was short of a $1000. So as we have talked, I don't believe these boxes are worth thousands. I would be more at like $1000 max and probably less. But again, absolutely defer to Wayne and his research as bidding wars can escalate prices amazingly.

Brian-why don't you make everyone drool a little bit and post your top-tier 62 Jell-O item on this thread.
Thanks to my dear son, he was able to load 'er up, straight out of Never Cheaper By the Dozen. A genuine, unique, 1 of 1. Ken Marks will vouch for the fact that all these unfolded boxes, or "flats" as he terms them, all trace to the find of approximately 85 of these during the mid-1980s, and were each offered for sale in the November 8, 1985 issue of Sports Collectors Digest, page 215, by Lew Lipset. I rate these the best of the best among the 1962 JELL-Os. --- Brian Powell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-14-2021, 04:01 PM

I wanted to thank Ken Marks and Mike Reid for their help in getting me a final, and fair restitution, for the 'missing' Jell-O boxes that I had consigned. The auction house agreed to my valuation, and I was paid today.

I learned a great deal about the Jell-O issue along the way, and how fortunate I was to not only find those boxes over 30 years ago, but to find two stand up guys whom helped me get an equitable, and fair payout.

I wish them the best of luck in their collecting endeavors, and to all a Merry Christmas.

Thanks again, The Dude. (Mark)