NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2021, 08:44 AM
Brian K

Default Question for Dealers/Show Vendors

General question for the community. I am currently planning a west coast event, and hoping for it to feature a card show. Is there a standard table fee for larger shows (150+ dealers)? There will be other things going on at the event, so foot traffic would be high, and the venue is a large one. Sorry for the vague terms, still working out the details on this end, targeting 2022.

While I am at it, is there anything that the community would like to see at a new card show? I have bounced around to shows over the last year, and have a running list of things I would like to see but the floor is open for others to chime in.

Any general opinions, thoughts, or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by yanks87; 01-19-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 AM

Can you tease a location?
Old 01-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I’m curious what kind of “event” would have 150 card show tables? That’s fairly large for a “new” show.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 AM
Brian K

I have to keep things close to vest for now, but I can say west coast, to start, and it is a new format, new approach.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Oh, brother, are you in for some pain! I co-promoted three shows in Los Angeles several years ago. It is a ton of work and you are virtually guaranteed to lose money for the first few shows at least.

You have it all backwards. The table fee is the last thing to set. Get your back-end paperwork done first: contracts, business licenses and insurance, etc. if working with partners, draft a comprehensive venture agreement. Find your venue. A good venue will know and will be able to tell you exactly how many tables you can handle in the space. Evaluate parking and load-in/load-out conditions and requirements, whether the venue allows previous day set up, whether the venue supplies tables, cloths, etc., as part of the fee or extra, or whether you will have to purchase materials and/or contract with outside event furnishing vendor(s) to provide them. If the latter, research a vendor list and costs/terms. Decide whether to offer dealers incentives for multiple-table reservations. Determine whether you will need to comp tables to certain vendors, like a TPG, and if so try to negotiate co-promotion activities in return through their platforms. Cost out and then decide whether it makes sense to hold a multiple day event or a single day event. Decide whether you want to offer free admission (hint: for a new show, you do). Determine your marketing strategy and budget. Sit down and do a spreadsheet of all costs and decide how many shows to hold over the lifespan of some of the fixed costs (like insurance, which can be purchased per event or per time period). When you have all of the data then you can back into the table fees.

I would also strongly suggest not having guests. They are hugely expensive and do not really add anything to the admissions rate; people are already starved for card shows anyway.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-19-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:41 PM

And all along I thought you just needed to rent a banquet room and tables at the local Holiday Inn and have everyone bring their own bedsheets to cover the tables. lol
Old 01-19-2021, 01:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
And all along I thought you just needed to rent a banquet room and tables at the local Holiday Inn and have everyone bring their own bedsheets to cover the tables. lol
"You misunderstand me. Business should be conducted in a business-like manner."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-19-2021, 01:23 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Oh, brother, are you in for some pain! I co-promoted three shows in Los Angeles several years ago. It is a ton of work and you are virtually guaranteed to lose money for the first few shows at least.

You have it all backwards. The table fee is the last thing to set. Get your back-end paperwork done first: contracts, business licenses and insurance, etc. if working with partners, draft a comprehensive venture agreement. Find your venue. A good venue will know and will be able to tell you exactly how many tables you can handle in the space. Evaluate parking and load-in/load-out conditions and requirements, whether the venue allows previous day set up, whether the venue supplies tables, cloths, etc., as part of the fee or extra, or whether you will have to purchase materials and/or contract with outside event furnishing vendor(s) to provide them. If the latter, research a vendor list and costs/terms. Decide whether to offer dealers incentives for multiple-table reservations. Determine whether you will need to comp tables to certain vendors, like a TPG, and if so try to negotiate co-promotion activities in return through their platforms. Cost out and then decide whether it makes sense to hold a multiple day event or a single day event. Decide whether you want to offer free admission (hint: for a new show, you do). Determine your marketing strategy and budget. Sit down and do a spreadsheet of all costs and decide how many shows to hold over the lifespan of some of the fixed costs (like insurance, which can be purchased per event or per time period). When you have all of the data then you can back into the table fees.

I would also strongly suggest not having guests. They are hugely expensive and do not really add anything to the admissions rate; people are already starved for card shows anyway.
I hear you, I have been in event design for 20 years now, and we are checking all blindspots on this one. It's been a while since I showed at a card show and I know table prices have changed since the 90's. I just wanted to get a gauge from some of the dealers/auction house guys on the board what the going table rate currently is. We are currently filling out those costing spreadsheets and figuring out where we need to be to not LOSE too much money, but if the concept plays, that might be a win too.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:52 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

A reporter once asked a rancher in Montana who had just won 2 million in the lottery what he was going to do with his new found gains.

The Montana rancher pondered the question for a bit and answered;

"I think I'll just keep ranching until it's all gone..."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-19-2021, 03:02 PM
Scott Russell

I've promoted two shows. One a down and dirty little show at a fire hall that made a little money, the other one a large show at a resort in the Poconos with autograph guests that lost almost $7,000. The dealers and attendees were generally very happy so it wasn't a "failure" but man oh man...

I learned a ton from the one that lost money and think I could fix most of the problems, but it was so much work and would probably take at LEAST as long as the auction to become profitable. It definitely instilled in me a greater respect for the guys who promote really good shows!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-19-2021, 05:56 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I've promoted two shows. One a down and dirty little show at a fire hall that made a little money, the other one a large show at a resort in the Poconos with autograph guests that lost almost $7,000. The dealers and attendees were generally very happy so it wasn't a "failure" but man oh man...

I learned a ton from the one that lost money and think I could fix most of the problems, but it was so much work and would probably take at LEAST as long as the auction to become profitable. It definitely instilled in me a greater respect for the guys who promote really good shows!
Great insights, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:28 PM
Scott Russell

Not sure how insightful I was, just sharing a story. Good luck!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 01-19-2021, 07:58 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Not sure how insightful I was, just sharing a story. Good luck!
Yours and the other post about signers at a show validate a bunch of things that I have been seeing in my research of everything. It certainly makes it easier to not have a show predicated on autographs. I have never enjoyed autographs (Mostly because Jim Eppard, my first pro signature, misspelled my name "To Brain"..... scarred for life), but I didn't want to project my personal feelings on this. I appreciate your candor.

thanks again
Old 01-19-2021, 08:09 PM
Scott Russell

The big lesson I learned on autographs is don't count on sales to make your money, come with inventory to get signed and sell yourself later, that's the only way autograph guests are a money maker. We had a couple hundred photos to sell at the show that we got signed but it wasn't nearly enough to get to even. We simply didn't realize that the money is made on the after market, not at the show.

Now there's some insight!

Old 01-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Brian K

Quote:
The big lesson I learned on autographs is don't count on sales to make your money, come with inventory to get signed and sell yourself later, that's the only way autograph guests are a money maker. We had a couple hundred photos to sell at the show that we got signed but it wasn't nearly enough to get to even. We simply didn't realize that the money is made on the after market, not at the show.

Now there's some insight!
Golden, thank you Scott.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Lighting, lighting, lighting.
Almost every single show I've attended has very poor lighting. I don't know if it's the fluorescent bulbs thing, or the size of these pseudo-gymnasiums, or something else, but I'm constantly having to walk to an open door or a window to be able to examine a card fully in the sunlight. And my eyesight is fine, so it's not just me. It would be great going through the cards at someone's table and being able to see everything perfectly fine. Most larger venues are lit from (way up) above, so that's the origin of the problem. One show I went to was tantamount to being in an office building with light streaming in from everywhere via the windows. That was frickin' beautiful.

Gathering area.
If there's room, consider having an area dedicated to people chatting away and making trades or possibly casual sales. Not as a way to 'compete' with the paying vendors, but as a way to enhance the experience. People love to show off their acquisitions, so it would be a nice break from the show to sit down for a bit and have a good time talking with fellow collectors. (Oh, and make sure this 'Trade Zone' is separate from the dining area.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Almost every single show I've attended has very poor lighting. I don't know if it's the fluorescent bulbs thing, or the size of these pseudo-gymnasiums, or something else, but I'm constantly having to walk to an open door or a window to be able to examine a card fully in the sunlight. And my eyesight is fine, so it's not just me. It would be great going through the cards at someone's table and being able to see everything perfectly fine. Most larger venues are lit from (way up) above, so that's the origin of the problem. One show I went to was tantamount to being in an office building with light streaming in from everywhere via the windows. That was frickin' beautiful.
TOO TRUE. It was the one major complaint with my big show. Never even thought about it when they showed me the room we were using until the day of the show and I kept asking them to turn the lights up!

Old 01-20-2021, 11:51 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

Gathering area.
If there's room, consider having an area dedicated to people chatting away and making trades or possibly casual sales. Not as a way to 'compete' with the paying vendors, but as a way to enhance the experience. People love to show off their acquisitions, so it would be a nice break from the show to sit down for a bit and have a good time talking with fellow collectors. (Oh, and make sure this 'Trade Zone' is separate from the dining area.)
Great call on the trading space. The venue we are locked in with has great lighting, and lots of space, so think we can address both of your call outs. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:54 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
TOO TRUE. It was the one major complaint with my big show. Never even thought about it when they showed me the room we were using until the day of the show and I kept asking them to turn the lights up!
Yes, you cannot underestimate the importance of this. I have bought cards at the National in which the surfaces looked perfect, even upon very close inspection. When I arrived back at the hotel, I could clearly see wrinkles/creases that were not evident at the show. A real pisser!