NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2016, 07:21 AM

Default Payment at card shows?

This weekend I attended my first card show is at least 12 years. I've always bought cards online (AH's, ebay, BST here, etc) so I was excited to get a chance to go to a real show.

Day 1, I just scoped everything out and looked at every vintage table; I'm not into autos, memorabilia, or new stuff. Didn't buy anything but spotted a card I wanted. I went back yesterday with the intent to buy it.

The dealer and I agreed on a price and I'm pumped. Then he tells me he doesn't accept plastic. Huh? He said he would take a personal check though. Does anyone carry a checkbook anymore? I don't, haven't in years. I had to walk away. I wasn't going to drive the 25 miles back home to get my checkbook when the wife and I had several things to do during the day.

This was a $6000+ card and I guess I wrongly assumed large dealer accepted credit/debit cards.

Is this the norm at shows? In your experience, do show dealers usually accept credit/debit cards?

Thanks,

Justus
Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Jason Albregts

Dealers have been slow to embrace technology IMO. I've found that many times they have the ability to take a credit card, but are unwilling to because of the fees.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
Dealers have been slow to embrace technology IMO. I've found that many times they have the ability to take a credit card, but are unwilling to because of the fees.
Or because of the IRS
Old 04-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Shows

In going to shows I take cash, checks, credit cards and PayPal.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-11-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Val Kehl

Assuming that this dealer didn't know you, I'm shocked that he would accept a personal check for $6+K. I always take a checkbook to shows, as dealers who know me will accept my checks. I don't like to carry a large amount of cash. If a dealer doesn't know me and doesn't accept credit cards, I ask the dealer to send the card to me after my check clears, if I believe the dealer to be reputable.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Rich Klein

I take cash checks and pay pal. In fact, at my shows, since I usually have cash from the dealers I will accept checks (made out to my partner in the show no less) to cash for those dealers who don't accept anything but cash or for those collectors ho do not bring enough cash. The hotel does not have an ATM so I offer that to make everyone lives easier.

Granted, we're s show that is between 30-60 tables depending on circumstances but with 3 exceptions (one of which is Leon). the dealers are weekend warriors who work for a living

Rich
Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Sean Costello

I've had dealers tell me that they would take a card, but I would have to pay an extra 5% because of the fee.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Cash is king .
Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I take cash checks and pay pal. In fact, at my shows, since I usually have cash from the dealers I will accept checks (made out to my partner in the show no less) to cash for those dealers who don't accept anything but cash or for those collectors ho do not bring enough cash. The hotel does not have an ATM so I offer that to make everyone lives easier.

Granted, we're s show that is between 30-60 tables depending on circumstances but with 3 exceptions (one of which is Leon). the dealers are weekend warriors who work for a living

Rich
That is very nice of you Rich, not all promoters really give that much help to their table holders.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
This weekend I attended my first card show is at least 12 years. I've always bought cards online (AH's, ebay, BST here, etc) so I was excited to get a chance to go to a real show.

Day 1, I just scoped everything out and looked at every vintage table; I'm not into autos, memorabilia, or new stuff. Didn't buy anything but spotted a card I wanted. I went back yesterday with the intent to buy it.

The dealer and I agreed on a price and I'm pumped. Then he tells me he doesn't accept plastic. Huh? He said he would take a personal check though. Does anyone carry a checkbook anymore? I don't, haven't in years. I had to walk away. I wasn't going to drive the 25 miles back home to get my checkbook when the wife and I had several things to do during the day.

This was a $6000+ card and I guess I wrongly assumed large dealer accepted credit/debit cards.

Is this the norm at shows? In your experience, do show dealers usually accept credit/debit cards?

Thanks,

Justus
Seems rather dumb that a dealer would let $6,000 walk out the door. At the very least he should have tried to work with you. Even if it were to mail you a check. I know if I had a pending sale for $6,000 I would have. I doubt very much the dealer was driving a Rolls Royce.

That said the only thing I've ever seen and paid with was cash. Only two different shows though.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 04-11-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Worrying about chargebacks seems unfounded since nearly every vendor in every industry accepts debit card payments. Also Paypal at a show seems like just as much of a risk since you can't show proof of delivery.

In any case, if you're a serious dealer with serious cards it's worth it to your business to invest in a smartphone and Square. I would never carry around 6K with me on the off chance I might buy something and don't think I'm alone.

Last edited by packs; 04-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Daryl

I never have more than $20 cash on me at any given time. I've paid via PayPal a handful of times at the National with no problems. I'm not going to walk around with a wad of $100 bills and get myself killed.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM

I just had a friendly PM from the dealer. I misunderstood what he said about the Paypal Friends and Family payment. He says I could have done the F&F payment right then (as he's done with other Net54 members) and taken the card with me, no waited until later and had the card mailed. Upfront guy for the way he contacted me, thanks!

The F&F fees would have put my out-of-pocket cost for the card above what I was willing to pay, so guess I wouldn't have ended up with the card anyway.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
I just had a friendly PM from the dealer. I misunderstood what he said about the Paypal Friends and Family payment. He says I could have done the F&F payment right then (as he's done with other Net54 members) and taken the card with me, no waited until later and had the card mailed. Upfront guy for the way he contacted me, thanks!

The F&F fees would have put my out-of-pocket cost for the card above what I was willing to pay, so guess I wouldn't have ended up with the card anyway.
There are NO fees with a f/f payment via paypal
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
It depends on how you fund the purchase. If you send PayPal F&F and use a credit card to pay, you will incur the fees.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
There is a 2.9% on mine.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:24 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
There is a 2.9% on mine.
Yes correct if you use credit card or paypal credit there will be a fee that the sender incurs. If you use your paypal balance or bank account there are no fees
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 04-12-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I'm not going to walk around with a wad of $100 bills and get myself killed.
But how would somebody know how much you have? How do they know if you're carrying $20 or $2000? Whenever I carry large sums of cash, I usually have it in multiple pockets. I try not to 'flash' it in front of other people. If I do have to pull it out in front of others, they only see a portion of what I'm actually carrying because the rest is in other pockets. And it's not distributed equally between pockets. I may have a $500 in my right pocket, $1000 in my left pocket and $2000 in my jacket pocket, etc. Depending on the size of the purchase, I know which pocket to pull from so anybody that's looking sees as little cash as possible. I don't feel any less comfortable carrying large sums of cash than I do if I'm carrying no money at all. I just don't understand the safety concerns.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
But how would somebody know how much you have? How do they know if you're carrying $20 or $2000? Whenever I carry large sums of cash, I usually have it in multiple pockets. I try not to 'flash' it in front of other people. If I do have to pull it out in front of others, they only see a portion of what I'm actually carrying because the rest is in other pockets. And it's not distributed equally between pockets. I may have a $500 in my right pocket, $1000 in my left pocket and $2000 in my jacket pocket, etc. Depending on the size of the purchase, I know which pocket to pull from so anybody that's looking sees as little cash as possible. I don't feel any less comfortable carrying large sums of cash than I do if I'm carrying no money at all. I just don't understand the safety concerns.
I make my wife carry the cash...it's more fun to pull it out of her pocket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg secret-pocket-compartment-panties-underwear.jpg (6.5 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 04-12-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
+1. You wrap your two $100 bills around your wad of $1s if you want to show off your wad. You wrap your $1s around your wad of $100s if you want to hide how much you have.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I never have more than $20 cash on me at any given time. I've paid via PayPal a handful of times at the National with no problems. I'm not going to walk around with a wad of $100 bills and get myself killed.
But you'll walk around with the equivalent in stuff you've bought?
Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Ha! Good point.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Al Richter

Default Cards or money

Can picture myself walking back to hotel after a day at the National, having a guy pull a gun and demand money, and me offering him a selection of cards...unless he is willing to take a credit card, check or PayPal

I do not see a right or wrong here, just different preferences and comfort levels

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-12-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I do not see a right or wrong here, just different preferences and comfort levels
Exactly! So one really can't fault a dealer either for not accepting CCs if that's beyond their comfort level.

If I were a dealer, I would probably accept CCs for smaller purchases, but no way for a $6K purchase.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Though I have no personal experience, I doubt that illegal drugs can be purchased with prewar baseball cards.