NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 08:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Really? All 100 million (or however many) white people have privilege and power? Really???? I can introduce you to some poor people in my community (with white skin color) who expose that to be a blatant lie.

Generally speaking, an intelligent black person has privilege and power over a white idiot. A normal black person has power and privilege over a white dwarf. Young, healthy, active people have privilege and power over old, sick people. And so on.

I've seen far, far too many successful people with darker skin and far, far too many failures with lighter skin to buy into your racist nonsense.

Looking at someone, seeing only their race, and from that tidbit of information declaring them privileged and powerful is outright stupid. And that is what this group think mentality is doing - making idiots out of otherwise intelligent people.

You cannot take a hundred million people and ascribe ANY attribute to each and every one of them. It is absurd, and quite obviously racist.
Thank you! I started to respond to that nonsense, but then just hit delete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107401475_10207566761764560_5237641223588154367_n.jpg (76.9 KB, 196 views)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Really? All 100 million (or however many) white people have privilege and power? Really???? I can introduce you to some poor people in my community (with white skin color) who expose that to be a blatant lie.

Generally speaking, an intelligent black person has privilege and power over a white idiot. A normal black person has power and privilege over a white dwarf. Young, healthy, active people have privilege and power over old, sick people. And so on.

I've seen far, far too many successful people with darker skin and far, far too many failures with lighter skin to buy into your racist nonsense.

Looking at someone, seeing only their race, and from that tidbit of information declaring them privileged and powerful is outright stupid. And that is what this group think mentality is doing - making idiots out of otherwise intelligent people.

You cannot take a hundred million people and ascribe ANY attribute to each and every one of them. It is absurd, and quite obviously racist.
There are countless white people living in poverty. They will be glad to hear, no doubt, how they are the beneficiaries of structural racism against blacks. Is that the same structural racism that gave this country a (deservedly) popular two term Black president? Oh wait, he, and every other successful Black person don't count, because they go against the theory.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-25-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:40 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There are countless white people living in poverty. They will be glad to hear, no doubt, how they are the beneficiaries of structural racism against blacks. Is that the same structural racism that gave this country a (deservedly) popular two term Black president? Oh wait, he, and every other successful Black person don't count, because they go against the theory.
What about the 620,000 white soldiers that gave their life in the Civil War that black slaves might be free?
Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
+1
Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

I must say the smugness and superiority of someone telling me I am REALLY a racist at some deep down level because I'm a white from a suburb is beyond offensive.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What about the 620,000 white soldiers that gave their life in the Civil War that black slaves might be free?
As He died to make men holy, let us fight to make men free.

Or the white cops that go into black neighborhoods every day to try to save black lives. Can you imagine someone having the cojones to tell those folks they are really racist?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-25-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:50 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default A less well known name change

Pekin is a town in Illinois.

A pekin duck is a white duck imported from China and is a recognized breed by that name.

Pekin High School athletic teams formerly identified as the Pekin Ducks. I don't know if there mascot looked like Donald (Duck not Trump).

Apparently the Chinese community became offended because people were eating Peking duck in Chinese restaurants.

As a result of this kerfuffle, the Pekin High School teams abandoned the Duck are now referred to as the Pekin Dragons.

Doesn't that make your hair stand on end. This could have been the start of a World War, but in central Illinois news travels slowly, not too many people really cared.

i still like the Cleveland Eeries, even tho the season is over before Halloween night.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:57 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Pekin is a town in Illinois.

A pekin duck is a white duck imported from China and is a recognized breed by that name.

Pekin High School athletic teams formerly identified as the Pekin Ducks. I don't know if there mascot looked like Donald (Duck not Trump).

Apparently the Chinese community became offended because people were eating Peking duck in Chinese restaurants.

As a result of this kerfuffle, the Pekin High School teams abandoned the Duck are now referred to as the Pekin Dragons.

Doesn't that make your hair stand on end. This could have been the start of a World War, but in central Illinois news travels slowly, not too many people really cared.

i still like the Cleveland Eeries, even tho the season is over before Halloween night.

Frank, the Pekin High "Chinks" not ducks. The Ducks were from Havana. The Pekin team were made famous by playing the Cobden Appleknockers for a state championship in the sixties. They changed the Chinks mascot shortly after that contest.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:59 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default the Cleveland Indians...now the Guardians?

Another pathetic attempt to whitewash history using ignorant rationale as to what is offensive...The true offensiveness is that the name is not being changed because it is a benefit to the team, its just making the team
seem pathetic in that they cannot function in the cancel culture environment without caving in.
All sports teams are of very little importance anyway, they are all greedy hypocrites
Old 07-25-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
That was a joke, champ, and I figured most people had enough neurons bouncing around inside their melon to catch the implication. Obviously, I was wrong. So, even though it doesn't really belong in this section, I'll try to explain. There are two premises here, but I will only address the one that is actually relevant (IMO) to the name change from Indians to Guardians. Also, these are my general observations. It isn't meant to be one size fits all. I am sure many of you do not fit neatly into the narrative:
  1. Cancel culture is just the latest biennial moral panic conjured up by political operatives who needed something new to gin up outrage now that the previous panics have lost their impact.
  2. The name change in Cleveland has nothing to do with "cancel culture." It is an artifact of the usual inter-generational changes that cause the olds to get their backs up and the youngs to roll their eyes at grumpy old Papaw.C
I was born in 1965 and I am part of the first Gen X cohort. I spent the first part of my professional career working with Baby Boomers and the second part with Millennials and (now) Gen Z. It's my observation that the younger generations are more comfortable with differences along ethnic, cultural, faith, and sexual orientation lines. With this comfort level comes a desire to use language that acknowledges the difference without resorting to potentially offensive tropes. It is nothing more than matter of being considerate of other people. And, I think we can all agree that being considerate is a good thing.

This isn't to say that Boomers (and my generation) are inherently racist. But we were able to move through our formative years without being confronted with the increasingly multi-cultural nature of America. Having one minority family in your neighborhood or, in my case, your graduating class doesn't mean that you are the living embodiment of MLK Jr "I have a dream" speech. It does mean that you grew up in an environment where you didn't need to think about how to deal with such issues. It also means being more intentional now in how we deal with those issues.

The Cleveland Indians were under no serious threat of going out of business by retaining the Indians name. However, we all also know that baseball is facing a demographic cliff with a rapidly aging fan base that is not being replaced by younger people. As younger generations become more accepting of differences, it is not surprising that various institutions (be they corporate or public sector) change to reflect the zeitgeist. It isn't a matter of caving to the "woke crowd." It is a matter of following the money and creating brand loyalty. Let's just face up to the hard truth: the only industries that consider our market demographic highly desirable are reverse mortgages and catheters-by-mail. So, if you really must be upset about this, you would do better to criticize Cleveland's ownership from engaging in such a obvious, cynical marketing ploy.

And, since every thread needs a card

I think your neurons are overactive,champ! I don’t think my prior reply to you was an attack on you.But I’ll “play” if you want!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:10 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
What's the saying, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Something like that. There's really no black or white anymore, everything is shades of grey.

You can fool some of the people all of the time....

And all of the people some of the time....

But you can't fool Mom!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Something like that. There's really no black or white anymore, everything is shades of grey.

You can fool some of the people all of the time....

And all of the people some of the time....

But you can't fool Mom!
This is your briefest post ever.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:22 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Thank you! I started to respond to that nonsense, but then just hit delete.
From a conference earlier this month
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAE4E623-F3D8-407C-93B4-094A510AF1D9.jpg (9.3 KB, 178 views)

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)

Last edited by Kidnapped18; 07-25-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:26 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
What's the saying, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Peter, I wish you could’ve seen when my moms side of the family (Catholic) met my dad’s side (Protestant) started discussing Oliver Cromwell.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:30 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
There is nothing anyone could possibly say to defend slavery, but from my study the rift between North and South was more complex than slavery.
Absolutely agree. Truth is, there has been slavery going back thousands of years in the human race, and that involved people of all colors and nationalities. But today you don't really hear anyone still complaining about the Egyptians, Romans, Vikings, or any other dominant groups that had slavery as a given and accepted part of their culture in the past.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:30 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnapped18 View Post
From a conference earlier this month
Power and privilege accrues to the educated. Isn't that interesting.......

Maybe all those woke college kids, regardless of race, should self-flagellate, instead of accusing people based on the color of their skin.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:31 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
This is your briefest post ever.
No it isn't!!!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Absolutely agree. Truth is, there has been slavery going back thousands of years in the human race, and that involved people of all colors and nationalities. But today you don't really hear anyone still complaining about the Egyptians, Romans, Vikings, or any other dominant groups that had slavery as a given and accepted part of their culture in the past.
Or the slavery that still exists today in parts of Africa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...mporary_Africa

The continent of Africa is one of the regions most rife with contemporary slavery. Slavery in Africa has a long history, within Africa since before historical records, but intensifying with the trans-Saharan and Indian Ocean slave trade and again with the trans-Atlantic slave trade; the demand for slaves created an entire series of kingdoms (such as the Ashanti Empire) which existed in a state of perpetual warfare in order to generate the prisoners of war necessary for the lucrative export of slaves. These patterns have persisted into the colonial period during the late 19th and early 20th century. Although the colonial authorities attempted to suppress slavery from about 1900, this had very limited success, and after decolonization, slavery continues in many parts of Africa despite being technically illegal.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimag View Post
I think your neurons are overactive,champ! I don’t think my prior reply to you was an attack on you.
I didn't think it was an attack either. I just figured you didn't understand the point I was making and I took the opportunity to develop the idea in a bit more detail.

Quote:
But I’ll “play” if you want!
Deleted

Last edited by carlsonjok; 07-26-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:45 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Or the slavery that still exists today in parts of Africa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...mporary_Africa

The continent of Africa is one of the regions most rife with contemporary slavery. Slavery in Africa has a long history, within Africa since before historical records, but intensifying with the trans-Saharan and Indian Ocean slave trade and again with the trans-Atlantic slave trade; the demand for slaves created an entire series of kingdoms (such as the Ashanti Empire) which existed in a state of perpetual warfare in order to generate the prisoners of war necessary for the lucrative export of slaves. These patterns have persisted into the colonial period during the late 19th and early 20th century. Although the colonial authorities attempted to suppress slavery from about 1900, this had very limited success, and after decolonization, slavery continues in many parts of Africa despite being technically illegal.
Am aware of that, and it is surprising that doesn't get a much larger audience or vocal protest in the world today, at least not as much as there still seems to be for similar issues from 160 years ago. Also today, this modern slavery is not considered as normal and accepted by any of the major nations of today's world.

Last edited by BobC; 07-25-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:55 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Am aware of that, and it is surprising that doesn't get a much larger audience or vocal protest in the world today, at least not as much as there still seems to be for similar issues from 160 years ago.
Agree. To me, the most startling omission is the role black African slave owners played in selling their slaves to the traders who brought them to this country.

The slaves that were brought here weren't captured by a bunch of white guys running around Africa. They were captured and sold by other (black) African people. So how is it all white people are somehow held responsible, while all black people are granted victim status?

There were a lot of white people who vehemently opposed slavery, and a lot of black people who trafficked in it (and still do today according to the Wikipedia article I linked.)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:57 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
This brings up a good point. Were Paul Brown and/or Jim Brown offended by the name "Browns?"
Don't think you or many here get it.

The Indian nation consider themselves a 'people', a descendant race and heritage that would choose to not allow people to simply use the label for their own edification.

So, just like there won't be a Chicago Jews, or San Fransisco Negroes, or Manhattan Muslims, Toronto Asians, New Orleans Africans or other such ridiculous and improper titling, it is reasonable IMO for others not to be able to appropriate and use however they like the naming label Indians - with whatever associations or marketing selling out they choose and with little care for the very proud nation of human beings inhabiting this land pre Western discovery.
Would seem very easy to understand looking at what the Cleveland BBC did previously in creating the Chief Wahoo mascot.

I don't get what people feel is such a hardship to give up, when you are offending people on the one hand, but could so easily remedy with having care over the language one uses.

BTW, my vote would have been for Spiders too.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 07-25-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Whither the Notre Dame Fighting Irish?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-25-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:15 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Don't think you or many here get it.

Well that’s very apparent since Indians are in India and Native Americans are labeled as Indians because some chucklehead got his navigation all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2021, 10:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
No it isn't!!!

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-25-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:24 PM
Bill Cauley

“Cancel culture” is the people that stormed the Capitol on January 6th right? To void an election in service to one person who doesn’t care about them one way or the other?

Just want to make sure I understand what “cancel culture” is on here.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Interesting piece on the evolution/different meanings of the phrase.

https://www.vox.com/22384308/cancel-...ability-debate

Old 07-25-2021, 10:32 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

I need to stick to the cards.
People are A holes.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:52 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
From the perspective of Great Britain, the Founding Fathers were traitors.
Which is probably why there's no statues of George Washington in London.

"Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason."

When you win, it's not treason

Last edited by Tabe; 07-25-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:59 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
Well that’s very apparent since Indians are in India and Native Americans are labeled as Indians because some chucklehead got his navigation all wrong.

Maybe what the Cleveland BBC could have done was to check with people from India then to see if they had an issue with their nationality being used as the name for a professional sports team, and if not, just dump any association with the Chief Wahoo mascot or anything related to native Americans and simply declare from now on the Cleveland Indians moniker had nothing to do with native Americans anymore. As someone else pointed out, not all ethnic or other groups have an objection to the use of their name like that. At least I've never heard of anyone complaing about the Fighting Irish, Celtics, or the Vikings, among others.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:01 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Most years, it's over by June 1st.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip the waitstaff!
Old 07-25-2021, 11:04 PM

The cleveland hugs
Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 PM
J Stone

Quote:
I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target.
Maybe it's active spellcheck at work but if you were indeed top of your class I would assume that you'd spell guerilla correctly...
Old 07-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Maybe what the Cleveland BBC could have done was to check with people from India then to see if they had an issue with their nationality being used as the name for a professional sports team, and if not, just dump any association with the Chief Wahoo mascot or anything related to native Americans and simply declare from now on the Cleveland Indians moniker had nothing to do with native Americans anymore. As someone else pointed out, not all ethnic or other groups have an objection to the use of their name like that. At least I've never heard of anyone complaing about the Fighting Irish, Celtics, or the Vikings, among others.

Well, the Cleveland BBC can do as they see fit. Free market and all. They also dumped Chief Wahoo ~3 years ago.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 PM

Wokeism Demolition Night at "Progressive" Field please
Old 07-25-2021, 11:36 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Maybe it's active spellcheck at work but if you were indeed top of your class I would assume that you'd spell guerilla correctly...
You should probably avail yourself of the link I helpfully put at the beginning of that paragraph.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
You must be thinking of the “normal tourist visit” in January 6th that “cancel culture” doesn’t talk about.

The people the bases are named after rebelled against the US. That's what they DID. Why should that be celebrated? Do you celebrate the people who stormed the Capitol on January 6th?

You still haven't answered any of my questions though. Specifically, and now I can't see my comment so it's not word for word, wht should they name a base after them? What did they do to accomplish such an honor since they rebelled against the country? Additionally, should those on the 6th of January be celebrated as well?

"Cancel culture" is the people who stormed the Capitol on January 6th right? To void an election in service to one person who doesn't care about them one way or the other? Just want to make sure I understand what "cancel culture" is on here.

Anybody have a guess on the over/under for the duration of this thread?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmolive View Post
Wokeism Demolition Night at "Progressive" Field please
Now THAT I would pay tickets for and attend.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:39 AM

+1

Quote:
That was a joke, champ, and I figured most people had enough neurons bouncing around inside their melon to catch the implication. Obviously, I was wrong. So, even though it doesn't really belong in this section, I'll try to explain. There are two premises here, but I will only address the one that is actually relevant (IMO) to the name change from Indians to Guardians. Also, these are my general observations. It isn't meant to be one size fits all. I am sure many of you do not fit neatly into the narrative:
  1. Cancel culture is just the latest biennial moral panic conjured up by political operatives who needed something new to gin up outrage now that the previous panics have lost their impact.
  2. The name change in Cleveland has nothing to do with "cancel culture." It is an artifact of the usual inter-generational changes that cause the olds to get their backs up and the youngs to roll their eyes at grumpy old Papaw.C
I was born in 1965 and I am part of the first Gen X cohort. I spent the first part of my professional career working with Baby Boomers and the second part with Millennials and (now) Gen Z. It's my observation that the younger generations are more comfortable with differences along ethnic, cultural, faith, and sexual orientation lines. With this comfort level comes a desire to use language that acknowledges the difference without resorting to potentially offensive tropes. It is nothing more than matter of being considerate of other people. And, I think we can all agree that being considerate is a good thing.

This isn't to say that Boomers (and my generation) are inherently racist. But we were able to move through our formative years without being confronted with the increasingly multi-cultural nature of America. Having one minority family in your neighborhood or, in my case, your graduating class doesn't mean that you are the living embodiment of MLK Jr "I have a dream" speech. It does mean that you grew up in an environment where you didn't need to think about how to deal with such issues. It also means being more intentional now in how we deal with those issues.

The Cleveland Indians were under no serious threat of going out of business by retaining the Indians name. However, we all also know that baseball is facing a demographic cliff with a rapidly aging fan base that is not being replaced by younger people. As younger generations become more accepting of differences, it is not surprising that various institutions (be they corporate or public sector) change to reflect the zeitgeist. It isn't a matter of caving to the "woke crowd." It is a matter of following the money and creating brand loyalty. Let's just face up to the hard truth: the only industries that consider our market demographic highly desirable are reverse mortgages and catheters-by-mail. So, if you really must be upset about this, you would do better to criticize Cleveland's ownership from engaging in such a obvious, cynical marketing ploy.

And, since every thread needs a card

Old 07-26-2021, 04:57 AM

Saying that white people have privilege doesn't mean that they don't suffer, or that they can't be oppressed for other characteristics like sexuality, sex, being transgender, etc. It just means that they have privilege relative to people who aren't white.

For example, African-Americans have "the talk" with their kids, no matter how privileged they might be in other ways. Barack Obama had it with his kids. If you are black, the criminal justice system is biased against you, all the way from being profiled to the death penalty. There's lots of evidence to support this. The fact that I am at virtually no risk of being killed in an interaction with the police is a form of privilege.

Or, on a more trivial note, swim caps designed for natural black hair were banned for the Olympics because FINA ruled that no athletes need “caps of such size” and the caps don’t follow “the natural form of the head”. This doesn't happen if you're white, because the decision about what kind of swim caps are appropriately sized or what "the natural form of the head" is are made by white people.

Also it turns out that there's research on racism in baseball card collecting:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...90952401000286

I just want to be clear that I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, I'm just trying to provide an explanation. This has sort of become a political thread, since the question of the extent of racism in America has always been a political one, but I am trying to be civil and I think it's an important discussion to have.

Ted Clayton

Quote:

Old 07-26-2021, 05:11 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
I just want to be clear that I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, I'm just trying to provide an explanation. This has sort of become a political thread, since the question of the extent of racism in America has always been a political one, but I am trying to be civil and I think it's an important discussion to have.

Ted Clayton
Ted, the example I come back to is an NBER study on the affect that ethnic names has on job interview callbacks, when controlled for other issues.

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination
Old 07-26-2021, 05:11 AM

Here's a recent discussion that might be interesting:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/07/17/pr...k-lives-matter

"Baseball is an expensive sport: Many play year-round, spending as much as $4,000 to play in the winter. They return to their high school teams more polished—and more likely to get playing time—than the kids who can’t afford the extra coaching. According to the Brookings Institution, the average net worth of a white family in 2016 was $171,000. The average net worth of a Black family was $17,150. That alone puts young Black players at a disadvantage."

Does this mean that all white people have more money than all Black people? It does not. Does it mean that the system is full of white people actively working to keep Black people out of the sport? It does not. Does it mean that, overall, white people have an advantage that Black people don't because wealth in this country is tied to race? Yes. It's systemic, not based on intentionally racist actions by individuals.

Also, there's research on whether race affects rookie card values for Hall of Fame players. Google "Race, performance, and baseball card values" and you should get it.

Ted Clayton
Old 07-26-2021, 05:14 AM

Also a good one. Or we could look at how likely people are to get mortgages, or many (too many) other things. Thanks for bringing this in.

Ted Clayton

Quote:
Ted, the example I come back to is an NBER study on the affect that ethnic names has on job interview callbacks, when controlled for other issues.

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination
Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Power and privilege accrues to the educated. Isn't that interesting.......

Maybe all those woke college kids, regardless of race, should self-flagellate, instead of accusing people based on the color of their skin.
Education was one of two variables illustrated in the chart.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:36 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I guess there were IP issues with the name Spiders.
Or a small bunch of arachnophobes threatened the club

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-26-2021, 05:40 AM
Joe

Not a fan of name changes. Once all the so called offensive names have been changed the woke crowd will find something else to be offended by. The Orioles are offensive to bird lovers, etc. But a franchise is not defined by its name, it’s defined by its history. So change away.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So before you are reprimanded for this, WTF? Do you really think you can threaten someone's life on this forum and not have any repercussions?

Quote:
I didn't think it was an attack either. I just figured you didn't understand the point I was making and I took the opportunity to develop the idea in a bit more detail.

I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f--- out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f---ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, f---er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:02 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
Does it mean that, overall, white people have an advantage that Black people don't because wealth in this country is tied to race? Yes. It's systemic, not based on intentionally racist actions by individuals.

Ted Clayton
First of all, what evidence do you have to back this claim? Blacks were doing better in the 1950's in most measurable ways, despite the rampant racism of the period, than they are today. Why has poverty among black increased so much since the 1960's? Could it be tied to government?

Watch this from the 16:49 mark and please comment.

https://www.hoover.org/research/thom...mic-inequality
Old 07-26-2021, 06:59 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So before you are reprimanded for this, WTF? Do you really think you can threaten someone's life on this forum and not have any repercussions?
It is an excerpt from Navy Seal Copypasta, a satirical Internet meme. It is an over-the-top parody of someone acting tough on the internet. To quote the Wikipedia article:
The Navy Seal copypasta is a lengthy, comically written, aggressive attack paragraph against a "kiddo", written in the voice of the stereotypical "tough guy", listing absurd accomplishments such as having "over 300 confirmed kills" and being "trained in gorilla [sic] warfare". This copypasta is often reposted as a humorous overreaction to an insult and is thought to have originated in a post on a 4chan message board from 11 November 2010.
When sdimag offered to "play", I figured he wasn't inviting me to his Friday night poker game and it amused me. Since the meme often comes up in these contexts, I used it it figuring that it was so comically over-exaggerated that it wouldn't confuse it for a real threat. But, being a belt and suspenders kinda guy, I added the link to the site that specifically identifies it as satirical.

If you want me to edit it out or add a disclaimer, I will.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Which is probably why there's no statues of George Washington in London.

"Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason."

When you win, it's not treason
There is, along with a handful of other US presidents. The article below also has some interesting remarks from Washington’s British contemporaries about him. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...-soil.html/amp