NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-13-2022, 06:12 PM
Ben North

Here is my card picture contribution. One of 2 known rack packs with the Clemens Blue Streak showing, Not sure if it still is but it is/was the highest PSA graded Clemens Blue Streak, and a super cool cut card artwork Clemens Blue Streak I recently received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbs3.jpg (80.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-14-2022, 07:41 AM
Tony Baldwin

When the PED era was happening, everyone knew it was going on. There were many conversations about it going on at that time, but nobody cared. Everyone enjoyed the results, accepted it, and benefitted from it while it was going on. Heck, even fans and collectors were enjoying it because fans knew their favorite players/teams were playing better, while auction houses, memorabilia dealers, baseball card shops, and collectors all knew the better they played, the more their cards and memorabilia would go up in value. Yes, including myself. I remember all the talk going on about PED use then; watching all of the HR’s being hit; watching the HR races going on. Heck, before 1996, the most HR’s Brady Anderson hit in a season was 21 in 1992. He hit 50 HR’s in 1996. After 1996, the most HR’s he hit was 24 in 1999. Everyone knew it was going on! Everyone knew it was going on! Everyone knew it was going on and had no issues with it.

So where are we today? It happened…many knew it was happening…many benefitted from it…and then when it became a problem, many went silent; MLB, media, etc. They all got on their self-righteous, high-horses, playing stupid, and deciding to let the players take the blame and punishment for that era. Bud Selig is in the Hall of Fame. He knew it was going on, yet, when it became an issue, he played stupid and acted as if he was going to save Major League Baseball.

Reading all of the recent articles about voting for players during that era; expressing which PED users should or should not get in, is frustrating. People can justify it however they want, but for me, they are all either in or they are out. And we all know there are some PED users already in, so that’s where I stand and struggle with the continued picking and choosing who gets in or not.

As I stated before, I don’t know what the resolve is, but the above can’t be ignored. It happened, it was accepted, and that’s reality. You can’t only punish some of the players for it. Put them in, put an asterisk next to their name, and call it a day. That is how that era will be remembered.

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-14-2022, 11:34 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Thanks for the link to this site. I usually read Jay Jaffe's HoF coverage on FanGraphs, but I was not aware of this site which has a lot of in depth analysis of the HoF eligible players.