NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default cutoff for type card collecting

I'm curious what the type card collectors here use as their year cutoff for collecting an issue and how they decided on that particular year. I can think of at least 4 reasonable candidate years for a "pre-war" date (all covered here http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10007306)
and two others cutoffs that make a little more sense to me (Burdick related), but I'm sure others have cutoff dates other than these 6 years.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I'm curious what the type card collectors here use as their year cutoff for collecting an issue and how they decided on that particular year. I can think of at least 4 reasonable candidate years for a "pre-war" date (all covered here http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10007306)
and two others cutoffs that make a little more sense to me (Burdick related), but I'm sure others have cutoff dates other than these 6 years.
Gee, I sure wasn't expecting that page to be called the Holocaust Encylopedia.

I don't collect/cutoff by year/era, but rather by issue designation (i.e. R, T, E, etc.)
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Good question

I have started a type collection as a way to slowly build back 25 years worth of collecting that I unfortunately sold. It's too much to bite off at once so I've decided to stay between 1900 and 1912. C, E, T and M only. None of my cards stay slabbed and end up in 20 slot sheets so I've also limited them to the "skinny" series for each type.

I started with the more difficult:

E103 and E107
T209-1 and -2
C46 and M116 are about the only two in those years that fit my in my sheets so they were easy.

When I get close to finishing you will see my scans on the pickup thread.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I collect from 1900-1949, mainly. Had some 19th century and sold them...and 1950 seemed like there were a lot of cards put out so I just went to 1949. I go by ACC first then use my own system that parallels the ACC numbering/lettering scheme. Add in tobacco packs, gum containers and ephemera surrounding our cards and there you have it. Crap everywhere!!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Barry Arnold

Default type

I collect from 1900-1939. I use ACC and add a few favs beyond Burdick's
great tome. I also collect baseball photos which illuminate this time period
and move a bit beyond these parameters as I choose favs from most of the great
vintage and modern baseball photographers. I also collect tobacco packs
and game materials which help more clearly portray the 00-39 period.
I have lately dabbled a bit in oil paintings and have picked up a Perez
'clark griffith' and a Houle 'charlie gehringer'.
I should add that my choosing of 00-39 was a bit arbitrary. I basically wanted
to be pre-WWII and felt the 40s didn't seem 'vintage' to someone born in '51.
all the best,
barry
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

My Phillies list cutoff date is 1989...I collect anything and everything Phillies card related from 1880s to 1989....I used that cutoff for two reasons. The original list I compiled, I used three reference guides that stopped at 1989 (started research in 1990). The second reason is the insert/parallel craze started to ramp up at that time and I felt that anything before that was okay.

Joshua
Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 AM

I go mainly from 1900 - 1980... ACC Designation...but I collect only what I like instead of trying to get everything.... mostly the "major" issues and some regionals... great thing about type card collecting is you can do it in so many ways..and you can always change it around to suit your whim...

Ricky Y
Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Mike McGrail

My working definition of pre-war is anything issued before 7 Dec 1941
Old 05-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1980 is my collecting cut-off, which pretty much coincides with the last year of my childhood when I made serious efforts to bust packs and actively collect. I purchased a few packs of 1981 Topps [hated the set], a pack or two of Donruss, and a box or so of Fleer chasing the error cards [remember those?] but my 16 year old heart really wasn't in it. I did not really return to collecting for several years after that.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcgrail View Post
My working definition of pre-war is anything issued before 7 Dec 1941
Ah , but Germany invaded Poland on September 1 1939
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Default The World before the 2

I have always instituted the "up through 1941" cutoff, not just because of the war, but because there is a huge dropoff in the quantity of sets issued (thanks to the war), and those issued are of mediocre quality. So the 1941 date just makes sense to me.

Brian
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Ah , but Germany invaded Poland on September 1 1939
And annexed Austria the year prior (there go the Heads Ups)... If you wanna get even deeper, Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931 and pretty much maintained a state of war until Aug 1945 (there go '33-'34 Goudeys)