NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-11-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Outdoor Generator

We are looking install a Kohler natural gas generator

We lose power 2 to 3 times a year . Average out time is about 8 hrs

Looking for comments ( pro and con) if anybody here has a generator

Thanks
Old 04-11-2021, 11:01 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalpha7 View Post
We are looking install a Kohler natural gas generator

We lose power 2 to 3 times a year . Average out time is about 8 hrs

Looking for comments ( pro and con) if anybody here has a generator

Thanks
I don't have one yet. Only a small 5000 watt portable I can run my well off of, but my farrier recently got one and he did a lot of research before buying. He swears by the Kohler. He said that the Kohler has much heavier duty components than the equivalent Generac. He also liked that it can be programmed with priorities for each individual circuit.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Dave

Smart getting a natural gas generator if you have access. When we moved to a rural area a couple years ago we realized right away we would be losing power a lot.

I went out and bought our first generator, that plugged right into the main fuse box. Last summer we lost power for over a week after a big windstorm knocked down a bunch of trees in the neighborhood.

What a pain in the ass it was to run the house on 3-5 gallons at a time from out of a gas can, while changing out the oil every couple of fillups during the break in period. Wish I'd had the foresight to get a generator to plug into our 80 gallon propane tank instead.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:20 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I don't have one yet. Only a small 5000 watt portable I can run my well off of, but my farrier recently got one and he did a lot of research before buying. He swears by the Kohler. He said that the Kohler has much heavier duty components than the equivalent Generac. He also liked that it can be programmed with priorities for each individual circuit.

Yeah, we have a 7500 watt Champion portable and we basically ran the well and the lights during the summer outage. Thankfully we haven't had too much of a winter emergency yet, but we'd probably have to use it for the water heater (radiant heating) and well, and have to mostly forgo the lights.

Hoping to invest in a stronger whole house generator someday.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I have a Portable Duro Max Duel Fuel XP13000 EH Press Button Start and it has a Recoil start too ,that I run it off a 100 Lb propane Tank (24.5 gallons) both my panels have built in Transfer Switches

Last edited by rgpete; 04-11-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Jeff H

I have installed, I'm guessing over a thousand emergency generators over my career. The company that worked for, installed Generac for residential. We installed both Kolher and Generac on the commercial side. Both are good units. There are several options available with the transfer switches.
I don't think you will disappointed with either choice.
I would go with a 15Kw with automatic start. I would not go smaller than 12.5Kw.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:10 PM
Ronald Glenn

The Duro Max Generator XP 13000EH $1399, 100 lb Propane Tank empty $155 I had my house built with the Electric Panel with the built in transfer switch to accommodate a portable generator Just remember an electrical panel will have to be replaced with one that has a transfer switch built in
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM
Dave

Definitely helps to have a transfer switch. When I said earlier I plugged right into the main box, it was by way of a transfer switch, which was already built into the house when we bought it.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:55 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Definitely helps to have a transfer switch. When I said earlier I plugged right into the main box, it was by way of a transfer switch, which was already built into the house when we bought it.
Propane is the way to go in Rural Areas, it doesn't screw with the carb as the gas does and I know you get less KW with propane then gas but less maintenance then gas
Old 04-13-2021, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the input on the generator
Old 04-13-2021, 06:05 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Propane is the way to go in Rural Areas, it doesn't screw with the carb as the gas does and I know you get less KW with propane then gas but less maintenance then gas

Good to know. Thanks.