NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 AM

Default I'm in financial trouble-what would you do?

All:
I am 52 years old. I was all set for early retirement when my cancer bills depleted us. Now I just lost my job due to "down-sizing". Anyway - what would you do? I have complete Plyaball sets-but it is hard to part with them. My uncle started them in 1939. I finished them in 1982. I am parting with my T206 Cobb. I loved the card, but he sat in the safe. Waste of money. Then there is my 1955 Clemente. My Dad just died. And the story of the Clemente is I had to have it when I saw it at the card show. My Dad was with me. We pooled all our $ together and I bought it for $40. It was also a coin show. My Dad collected coins. Many years later he told me he gave me all his money from his wallet and did not buy the coin. He lent me his money and I have a PSA 8 Clemente. Nice $ that I need now. Please convince me to sell this card. But it is a card I bought with some of the $ that Dad wanted to use for himself. Stu[id piece of cardboard. A lot of $ involved. I need the $. Memories attached.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomman1961 View Post
All:
I am 52 years old. I was all set for early retirement when my cancer bills depleted us. Now I just lost my job due to "down-sizing". Anyway - what would you do? I have complete Plyaball sets-but it is hard to part with them. My uncle started them in 1939. I finished them in 1982. I am parting with my T206 Cobb. I loved the card, but he sat in the safe. Waste of money. Then there is my 1955 Clemente. My Dad just died. And the story of the Clemente is I had to have it when I saw it at the card show. My Dad was with me. We pooled all our $ together and I bought it for $40. It was also a coin show. My Dad collected coins. Many years later he told me he gave me all his money from his wallet and did not buy the coin. He lent me his money and I have a PSA 8 Clemente. Nice $ that I need now. Please convince me to sell this card. But it is a card I bought with some of the $ that Dad wanted to use for himself. Stu[id piece of cardboard. A lot of $ involved. I need the $. Memories attached.
Your health, family and bills come first. Sell the cards, don't even think twice about it. You're still young. Maybe you can re-purchase them again someday.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Chris

If you have an emotional attachment to the Playball sets, have you considered just selling the cards that you purchased and holding on to the ones your uncle bought? Sets are typically worth less than the original cards. This would give you an opportunity to raise some money while still holding on to the cards with special meaning.

For the Clemente, maybe try to work out a deal for someone where you traded for an absolute beater copy plus cash? That way, you would still have a Clemente that your dad's money went to, but nothing that is tying up any potentially significant source of funds.

If you have to get rid of them, you will always have the memories. Think of it this way, you helped your uncle complete some sets--likely what his ultimate goal was anyway--and you have a great memory of your time with your father. At the end of the day, those memories are what is most important anyway.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM
J.O.N

Hold onto the memories and sell the cards. When you get back on your feet you can pick them up again.

I once had several cards stolen from me that had memories attached to them I still have the memories and now I have the cards again but in much better condition.

My prayers are with you.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM
qualitycards

Tomman, my situation was/is very similar. And I sold a bunch of stuff to help pay the medical bills.
Hated to part w/ some but hated moreso the thought of losing the house.
You may miss the cards, but you'll always have the memories of obtaining them & collecting them.
I suggest you scan a bunch that mean a lot to you and keep the scans as a reminder of your collection.

"We don't own these cards (& collectibles) we just hold them for awhile"
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Sell your cards. Your health is more important. Keep the cards that mean most to you, and sell those last. However, if you need to sell them, sell them also. When your financial situation improves, you can probably buy back a lot of the cards. Think about what your dad would say to you if you asked him these same questions. The answers would probably be similar.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I don't mean to get off topic here, but does anybody remember when PSA used to loan money on PSA graded cards? It was several years ago. I think they loaned up to half SMR (or something like that) and the minimum loan was like $5K. I think they quit doing that because I haven't seen them advertise that service in many years.

It seems like it would be a good businees venture for someone that knew cards. As long as the individual (or comapny) loaning the money is holding collateral, what could you lose?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Sell the cards. Think about like this, your Dad is really somewhat still helping you now because he was instrumental in their purchase/accumulation. If you feel you need to keep something keep the Clemente but get rid of the rest and dont give it a second thought.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Tomman

Agreed, I would sell them and get them back later(if possible). Think also of losing my collection that has taken years. But I believe that is why I have it, that I will part with it when necesary, for health, kids, etc.

Will pray for you also.

I agree with Jay. Excellently said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
"We don't own these cards (& collectibles) we just hold them for awhile"
In the long run, we do just hold onto them for awhile, as everything else, including our lives. It is what we do with what we have that matters.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Ben Morton

Well, sorry to hear of your financial difficulties. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. My newly-wed wife destroyed most of my top cards (50's-60's HOF'ers) after an argument. But we are still married 20 years later. They are just a hobby - life is higher priority.

2. It hurts to let em go sometimes, but it is really fun to try and chase them down again.

3. IMO, it is not worth keeping the stuff while being stressed out and worried about finances.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Always

There is always more cardboard to find when things are better. Prioritize and sell accordingly but certainly sell if you need too.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post

1. My newly-wed wife destroyed most of my top cards (50's-60's HOF'ers) after an argument. But we are still married 20 years later. They are just a hobby - life is higher priority.
Another benefit to slabbing. Angry spouse-proof.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-23-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Another benefit to slabbing. Angry spouse-proof.
Not if she has a hammer
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM

On some of the more memorable cards, try to get a high quality image - you can blow it up to a color 8x10 and frame it for the memories. I know a guy who does this with his autographed magazines and such, so he can store the actual items of value safely, yet display an image in the office. Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Barry Arnold

Default frank,jay, OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Tomman

Agreed, I would sell them and get them back later(if possible). Think also of losing my collection that has taken years. But I believe that is why I have it, that I will part with it when necesary, for health, kids, etc.

Will pray for you also.

I agree with Jay. Excellently said.

In the long run, we do just hold onto them for awhile, as everything else, including our lives. It is what we do with what we have that matters.
very well said, Frank and Jay.
My prayers for the OP are offered now and will continue.
all the best,
barry
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Paul

The cardboard may be for sale, but the memories will stay with you forever. They are not inseparable, and the memories are holding all of the true value.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-23-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:12 PM

Dear Tomman 1961,

A man must do what he must. Close your eyes and contemplate what will happen if you sell, and if you do not sell. If you see disaster ahead, do not wait to sell. Plan it carefully. Yes, it will be very hard, and you will miss them. However, refer to my first sentence, a quote of Sir Winston Churchill.

As Jay Wolt and some others advised, make high quality scans; this is something that could not be done years ago. For some cards, high quality reprints abound that offer 90% of the eye candy, with no strings attached.

We love you, collecting bro. This is a tough situation. I know I miss my 52 Topps Mickey Mantle, but I had to raise money for a down payment on a house. My situation was not life-threatening though, and I certainly acknowledge that.

But most of all I just want to say I'm very, very sorry about what has happened to you. A brotherly hug to you from my wife and I. --Brian Powell
Old 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM
pete ullman

I echo the sentiment of the others...they're just cards...and in the grand scheme of things are inconsequential compared to health, family and livelihood.

The memories will live...and you can keep and enjoy the scans forever.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Maybe you could hang onto a couple of the lower value cards that still have great sentimental value? That way you get the money and still have a few cards (albeit lower value but who cares) for the memories. We (me too) are all passionate about our cardboard but it's just that, cardboard. I have already sold some that meant a lot to me because of financial issues several years ago. Had I not sold them I would have had to sell my house and declare bankruptcy. I kept my favorite one from that focus and have 0 sellers remorse. In the not too distant future I will be selling some more to pay for my daughters college. And there are currently 5 guys outside my house working on it for some greatly needed cosmetic repairs. I sold my T206 back run recently (again minus a few I really like the most) to finance it. I use my cards for my benefit and am not shy about it. Life is too important to stress when there are ways around it. Good luck and I hope the best for you. We'll still be here for ya' and you are still a part of our community, cards or not.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Daryl

It breaks my heart to read this Tomman. As has been previously said, faith, family, and health come way before cards. I'll be praying that you find another (good paying) job quickly.

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time. Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. -- 1 Peter 5:6-7

Last edited by 4815162342; 04-23-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I echo that as well. You can sell your cards but not your fond memories. In the last 1&1/2 years I sold stuff I've had since fifteen that I thought I would keep forever: It didn't hurt as much as I thought. Also, worrying about finances would not be good for your health.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Default this is a very sad thread....

Tomman....I am very sad to see read this.....my heart goes out to all of you....

sell the best ones last....if you have to

Last edited by mrvster; 04-23-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Barry Sloate

I'm sorry to hear about your issues, especially regarding your health. I would not allow yourself to get sentimental about any of your baseball cards. It's just stuff, and stuff is replaceable. In better times we all have enjoyed collecting cards and other things. When life gets tough you have to prioritize, and take care of the more important things first. Maybe sometime down the road you will feel flush again and you can restart your collection. I know the cards you bought with your dad mean a lot to you, but I am sure he would tell you it's okay to sell them.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:15 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sell the Clemente and Cobb, those will give you a good chunk of cash. Maybe things will turn around and you can get them in a more affordable grade down the line

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post
Not if she has a hammer
oR She gives em a bath... ohhh the thought of it...
Okay... Open Your Eyes... That was 20 years ago and She's much wiser now
Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Ron Rice

Default Selling

Sorry to hear of your situation. Wishing you all the best for your health and for your family whatever you decide.

I'd take pictures of the cards, or scans, and then sell them. You should get a good price this year, and cashing in after all this time is part of the good memories of the collecting experience you had. When things get better you can make some new memories...
Old 04-23-2014, 04:08 PM

But Sincerely Tom,

My prayers go out to You & Yours, during these times of difficulty!
All these fine fellas encouraging You along Your way...
I know that You'll do what is necessary to keep Marchin' oN!

"God Bless You...!"

As Always...

Last edited by irishdenny; 04-23-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Take nice scans and sell the cards. I am sure your dad and uncle wouldn't be happy if they knew you were stressing over this. They would likely say "SELL" and don't give it a second thought.

You will always have the memories. You and your family are in my prayers.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I sincerely feel for you...you are in my prayers. What is your profession, by the way?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Definitely sell the cards - and don't even give it a moment's thought. Your dad would tell you the same thing. "Kid, it's a no-brainer. Sell the cards, support your family".
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Wow. 29 responses and all the same opinion. So, here I go. Cobb is almost gone. Deal will be done in under a week. Clemente at Grade 8 leaves tomorrow morning-that was fast. And at a price I am happy with. Heck, my complete 1955 set was about a "5" so maybe I'll re-buy him someday. everyone is right. I love the quotes. Dad would want me to take care of financials. Should i loose the house and live in a refrigetaor box with my collection in binders and slabs to keep me warm? No. Time to part with some. I am 52 years old. I have a Bachelors in Industrial Engineering from NJIT in Newark. What do I do? I run a manufacturing plant that just closed. 2 kids in college, medical bills........
Thanks guys. I love the suggestions of high quality 8 x 10 scans.
Tom (The Tomman)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM
J Stone

Though I'm a little late to the party, I'm with the others. Sell the cards, if your financial situation improves you can certainly re-buy any "things" and if it doesn't, you will have at least taken some of the financial pressure off for the time being.

I'm in a similar situation lost two long-time contract gigs in 2011, couldn't find any full time work so I started a business (I've pretty much been self-employed all my life but at a lot of different things). Long story short, the business is a bust, I'm way over my head in debt, and pretty much temporarily shot my credit.

I'm at the point that you are at - have some very nice things I'm reluctant to part with but as one poster said, a man's gotta do...

For me trying to deal with things in the NOW keeps everything in perspective. All of us collectors love to live in the past, it's just our nature, but times like this you have to let go of some of that. The things can be replaced, the memories will always be there.

Best of luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Dave

My wife is disabled with MS. I told my wife I would sell all of my cards if it was needed to pay for her hospital bills. She said no, because they mean too much to me. I would sell my cards and my soul if it would do any good. It's a hard thing to deal with when we already lost most of our life savings to qualify for Medicaid. Cards are replaceable.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomman1961 View Post
Wow. 29 responses and all the same opinion.
(The Tomman)
Not a good calling card for this board in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Dave Ba.lu.ta

Best of luck Tom - I concur with everyone else about the path laid out for you. I was told I needed to find another job last year and one of the first things I did was make a quick list of my card assets and estimated how much that would help. I was extremely fortunate - even lucky - to have things work out and be able to stay with my company, but that scare has certainly changed my perspective going forward.
Another suggestion along with taking hi-res scans of everything is to make a photo book of your complete set(s) or special cards. Maybe even write some stories about the special memories you have of the cards in the book so they'll always be with you.
Best Regards,
Dave
Old 04-24-2014, 01:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Tooman, I, too, am very sorry to read this. But I agree with everybody else. Though they have sentimental value, for sure, if I were in the same position, I'd sell them. It's the memories you have, like when you and your dad together bought the Clemente rookie, that are important. And you'll still have those.

If things do turn around, and I pray that they do, you can always start buying the cards again.

Good luck, and God Bless!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 04-24-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 AM
Alex

Tonman,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I understand how valuable sentimental items can be. The memories make the items very valuable. The good news is that you always get to keep the memories.

Ask yourself this - would your dad or uncle want you to be financially stressed? I would guess the answer is no.

Remember that the cards are just old pieces of cardboard. Financial stability for your family is more important.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
My wife is disabled with MS. I told my wife I would sell all of my cards if it was needed to pay for her hospital bills. She said no, because they mean too much to me. I would sell my cards and my soul if it would do any good. It's a hard thing to deal with when we already lost most of our life savings to qualify for Medicaid. Cards are replaceable.
Sorry
I will pray also for you and your wife
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Many of you have asked about the Clemente through personal messages. I do not know why, but as I answer your messages, I get an error of not sent. Sorry-but I have - and will continue to reply. Months ago when the Clemente was still mine, someone made an offer. Shortly after my post, I started to see the replies. Sell. I sold the Clemente that day for a nice sum.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Jimmy

Default I'm in financial trouble-what would you do? Reply to Thread

you may need to understand that cards can be replaced and I understand it can be hard. Maybe down the road your health gets better and you are in a better situation. I pray for you and your family and anyone else that has had to deal with tough situations. Collecting, buying and selling makes me happy as well and that is good for your health too! but do it at a time that you can enjoy it and sell everything you can to get back on track

Good Luck!

Jimmy
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 AM

I wish you the best with your financials, and with your health especially.

Good luck!

Last edited by CW; 04-24-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Dave

Sorry
I will pray also for you and your wife
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Well, sorry to hear of your financial difficulties. Here are some of my thoughts:

This reminds me of the guy who had arguably the best collection of Zeenuts east of Mark Macrae and beautiful sets of most pre-war caramel and tobacco cards with a collection which ultimately sold over for a million dollars about 15 years ago. He kept his cards in an air-conditioned basement in his house and his wife became furious at him about something and threatened to open the windows, insert the garden hose and flood the basement. Yikes!!! True story. He no longer has the cards, don't know about the wife :-)