NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Default Why is this a PSA 9 (oc) ??

Seems pretty harsh. It’s really not bad at all. Seems like this could have gotten a straight 8 at the very least. I’d resubmit this if it was my card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363131972378
Old 10-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Jason

I would say the back is off center hence the qualifier. I would pay for that qualifier as who cares about the back? A nice discount for such little imperfection.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Yeah. I mean, I've looked at a ton of these the past month or so, and the back is very often off centered. But I guess your right, most of the 9's on ebay have better centering on the back.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

According to PSA, for a "9":
60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front
90/10 or better on the back.

I am guessing it is top/bottom on the front. i have that at 71/29.
the back is 69/31 left to right, so that definitely passes.

Centering is pretty scientific. its easy to measure with precision with the tools PSA has... if you look at other 1976 cards, you will notice the football on the Payton is tad too close to the bottom border.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 10-11-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:24 AM
John

I still don't get it. If it doesn't meet the requirements for a 9, that doesn't mean it should automatically get an OC qualifier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an Auth or in the 7-9 range, but I've never seen a card that looks like that with an OC qualifier before. Unusual, but probably technically correct given the back.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 10-13-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 AM
Dave

Does PSA even care about the back? I once had a 1960 Jim Brown PSA 7 that was like 99/1 on the back. I bought it not seeing a back scan (probably from 4Sharp), and it annoyed me so much I ended up trading it in for a PSA 5 a little while later, that was much more aesthetically pleasing to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JimBrown1960Topps10June16A699.jpg (53.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg JimBrown1960Topps10June16A700.jpg (70.6 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Yeah, I didnt really examine the centering of the back vs the published PSA standards, etc, but after looking at many of these this card just seemed odd. I mean it is ever-so-slightly off center top to bottom on the front, but it's really at least a 9/10 for front centering.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:53 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
I still don't get it. If it doesn't meet the requirements for a 9, that doesn't mean it should automatically get an OC qualifier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an Auth or in the 7-9 range, but I've never seen a card that looks like that with an OC qualifier before. Unusual, but probably technically correct given the back.
It is not the back, its the front. If you elect for a qualifier, they are going to give it you.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 10-13-2020, 04:54 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Yeah, I didnt really examine the centering of the back vs the published PSA standards, etc, but after looking at many of these this card just seemed odd. I mean it is ever-so-slightly off center top to bottom on the front, but it's really at least a 9/10 for front centering.
I love how everyone just passes over my comment on measured centering and simply goes by the eye-test.
Did you measure the front? Zoom in and do it. I did. it is outside the range of a 9.

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 10-13-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Real question is: could it get a straight 8? It is right on the borderline if the 71/29 is accurate. At the time, the grader should have awarded an 8 if the centering met the requirements. Doesn't mean it couldn't get the bump on a review or crack/resubmit.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:16 AM
Scott Russell

No the grader shouldn't have given it an 8 if qualifiers weren't rejected. You always have the opportunity to ask for no qualifiers. If you fail to do so they are going to give the card the highest grade possible regardless of qualifier, and it's always been that way. Pretty simple to check "no qualifiers" in the old days you had to hand write it on your sheet next to every card!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-14-2020, 07:35 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
No the grader shouldn't have given it an 8 if qualifiers weren't rejected. You always have the opportunity to ask for no qualifiers. If you fail to do so they are going to give the card the highest grade possible regardless of qualifier, and it's always been that way. Pretty simple to check "no qualifiers" in the old days you had to hand write it on your sheet next to every card!
Scott, can you please clarify? Are you saying that it could have gotten an 8 if the submitter checked no qualifiers? A 9 OC is equivalent to a 7 in the registry, so with a checkmark, I would think the best non qualifier grade would be a 7 just to make the math work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I love how everyone just passes over my comment on measured centering and simply goes by the eye-test.
Did you measure the front? Zoom in and do it. I did. it is outside the range of a 9.
If the OC designation was used every time a card had 71/29 centering, I think we'd observe a lot more cards on the market where eyeballing them they looked fine, but were graded with an OC qualifier. I look at new cards almost every day from my eBay search results and that's not what I observe. My guess would be the grader was a stickler on the back top/bottom centering which again, I don't see happen much but would be technically correct.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 10-14-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Scott Russell

John, there is no hard and fast rule. Yes typically an O/C card will drop two grades but not always. I have had some luck in getting 9OCs into 8 holders without cracking them. You have to be very picky about which ones you take obviously but the one in this thread would certainly stand a chance.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-15-2020, 09:33 AM
John

Thanks Scott. This is an interesting thread. If I had a grading company, I wouldn't use qualifiers. I'd have sub grades and use a weighted average of them to determine the final grade. I'd probably weight front centering the highest and back centering the lowest. Corners, etc. would be in between.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:04 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Thanks Scott. This is an interesting thread. If I had a grading company, I wouldn't use qualifiers. I'd have sub grades and use a weighted average of them to determine the final grade. I'd probably weight front centering the highest and back centering the lowest. Corners, etc. would be in between.
Absolutely agree, John! Qualifiers are .... stupid. Give it a grade including all of its characteristics and move on.

Or, lets just make ever card a "10" and create qualifiers like: Rounded Corners (RC), Creases (CR), etc. LOL.

jeff