NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-29-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I'd pick Brady, if these are the only two choices. As others have mentioned, Football doesn't make a big deal of its history like Baseball does. Every Baseball fan knows Cobb and Wagner and Ruth and Ted Williams and a dozen others, even if they don't much about them. Namath's fanbase will be leaving the hobby in the coming years, Brady's won't.

As for the Mantle and Namath comparison, I think they are quite different. NY stars of the same period, elevated above the peers, similar off-field behavior, even ran a business together. None the less, Mickey Mantle is one of the all time greatest baseball players by any measurement. Namath might be the worst quarterback in the Hall, by the numbers compared to their peers. 173 TD's and 220 Interceptions is not impressive, even for his era. Millenials are much more driven by statistics when they didn't see and don't have an emotional connection to the players of yore.

If I was to invest in cards, which I would not do, I would pick vintage Baseball or modern-era Basketball. I suspect I'm much younger than the average on this forum, in my late 20's. I don't know anyone who collects cards still in real life. My generation grew up collecting Pokemon mostly, and that's where their nostalgia (which, I think, is a big part of adult card collecting) goes. Some very high end items will always have value, as a display of wealth if not love of old cardboard, but who are the generations that had most boys collecting cards to some degree going to sell their collections to in 30 years?

When I go to a card show, there are maybe a handful of people under 40 there. The hobby friends I've made over the years through email and message boards are almost all twice as old as I am. Now I get that many people take their 20's and 30's off from collecting before coming back to the hobby once financially comfortable, but previously this has been driven by nostalgia, I think. Once one has disposable income, some return to the hobby of their youth. I am fortunate that I've been able to participate in the hobby for all but my four college years, but without that nostalgia factor, are we really going to see a spurt of millennials entering the hobby in the 2030's and 2040's? I doubt it.

Of course, there are some younger people collecting, but the primary interest is not collecting. It's making money and gambling. Most of the modern hobby revolves around buying $100 boxes that usually have $20 of cards in them, trying to hit that lottery ticket of [insert hottest prospect in current year]. Most of these lottery tickets are worthless in five years. I've joined a couple groups of primarily modern collectors, and the first question is always "what is it worth?" when I show something older than 2011 that they don't recognize. The gambling driven element of the hobby here doesn't seem to lead to long term value outside of a very small handful of cards like the Update Trout (we'll see if even that one holds, the supply is enormous for an expensive card), as the focus is on pulling a big hit and immediately cashing it out. You need actual collectors to sustain value long term, or the bottom will eventually fall out when you just have speculators selling to other speculators.

All my friends like sports, Football and Basketball are the most popular, but there is little interest in their history. I love vintage football, but nobody I actually know could give a hoot about seeing old cards of Starr and Unitas and they certainly have no clue who Baugh even is. My baseball fan friends don't collect either, but they do have an interest in the big names of the past, and will even take a binder or box down, unprompted, and flip them through when we watch a game at my house. Baseball has always mythologized its past, and has become tied to card collecting in general. Most baseball fans know about cards at least. MLB video games feature baseball cards in them, ballparks show Topps cards on the scoreboards and screens (at least they have in the Bay Area), and the Wagner and 52 Mantle are very well-known. I don't think most football fans today recognize Panini. There may be more Football fans, but a baseball fan is much, much more likely to be a card collector, or to be a person who might one day become a card collector. Basketball is quickly becoming the #1 sport, and some parts of Asia are taking to card collecting, with a preference for modern basketball.

I think another factor here is that, honestly, the hobby is difficult to get into and quite a hostile one. If buying new, a collector dipping their feet in is likely to lose 80% of their money when buying a new box. Or if vintage, they are flooded with a series of mis-represented reprints, altered cards, and outright fraud, even from cards graded by "reputable" companies, who seem mostly to be reputable because many people stand to lose a ton of money on investments if the entire hobby acknowledges the scandals that are, by now, too numerous to even list. It's tough to get started, and many of the early experiences are sure to leave a bad taste. I can't say I think my friends really make a worse choice by just buying PlayStations, taking 5 minutes to learn the controls of a new game, and then just relaxing and enjoying the experience.

I don't think card collecting is a strong long-term investment because most of its user base A) won't be around forever and B) has not passed the hobby down to my generation. If I had to invest in cards, I'd pick shiny modern basketball and hope the Asian market continues to grow as the NBA becomes the biggest and most popular sport, or vintage baseball. The biggest names in baseball history and very, very scarce material (I think we vastly underestimate the quantity of most vintage cards out there, as a general rule) seem the safest bets to me. Baseball fans will continue to know Mays and Mantle and Ruth and Young, and for very rare sets, you only need a handful of collectors to sustain high values.

Just my two cents , or maybe 3 after this essay
Great post. Thanks for a lot of insight. I agree with you. Also, It will be mighty interesting if the Patriots make it to one more Superbowl.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:04 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
Great post. Thanks for a lot of insight. I agree with you. Also, It will be mighty interesting if the Patriots make it to one more Superbowl.
Totally agree as well! A great post and perspective on the hobby. The nostalgia factor is huge and will impact the hobby, no doubt about it.

jeff
Old 01-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Mike Tav.en.ner

I check the total number of sports cards listed on eBay a few times a year to try and determine where the 4 main sports are trending. Baseball is usually 40% to 50% of all the cards listed. Football is usually 25% to 30%. Then Basketball and Hockey combined usually make up that last 25% to 30%. Honestly, It hasn't changed much in the past decade... except that the beginning and ends of sports seasons typically show rises and falls.

Basketball (and surprisingly to me, hockey) have both moved up the most. The past couple of years Basketball seems to have made the biggest increases in popularity, although it's still nowhere near football. As an example, here's today's number of total listings:

Baseball: 12,473,181
Football: 6,228,014
Hockey: 3,485,856
Basketball: 3,290,268

Football and Basketball are both down a little today. Basketball is usually in 3rd place, and football is usually a little over half of baseball.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:50 PM
Curt

One possible explanation to this could be the sheer volume of baseball cards dating back to the 1900s, where as the other sports didn't have anywhere near the volume until much later. While the 50s and 60s were loaded with Topps aseball cards (as well as some others and a variety of oddball/regional sets), basketball only really had 2 major sets of significance, both also relatively small in size. I'm sure there were some regional/oddball sets for basketball too, but nothing in comparison to baseball.

Basketball came back in the 70s, but once more lost traction (aside from Star) until well into the 80s.

Football seemed to have hit it's stride in the 50s and has kept up fairly well.

Hockey was also pumping out sets in the 50s and on, but the US market was probably a sliver of the total market. Hockey is one sport that never captured my interest even at all from a card standpoint until the 90s, although I bought a few packs in 1979 and 1980.

The numbers seem to reflect that pretty closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldabeena10 View Post
I check the total number of sports cards listed on eBay a few times a year to try and determine where the 4 main sports are trending. Baseball is usually 40% to 50% of all the cards listed. Football is usually 25% to 30%. Then Basketball and Hockey combined usually make up that last 25% to 30%. Honestly, It hasn't changed much in the past decade... except that the beginning and ends of sports seasons typically show rises and falls.

Basketball (and surprisingly to me, hockey) have both moved up the most. The past couple of years Basketball seems to have made the biggest increases in popularity, although it's still nowhere near football. As an example, here's today's number of total listings:

Football and Basketball are both down a little today. Basketball is usually in 3rd place, and football is usually a little over half of baseball.
I'm guessing that in another 40+ years, people will be talking about the next GOAT and likely comparing him to that old timer Brady.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldabeena10 View Post

good post and informative.
One thing basketball has going for them is their modern stars are way more popular worldwide than baseball stars.
Also soccer should now be looked at as well. That sport is exploding worldwide!