NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-28-2020, 08:55 PM
J0hn H@rper

Default A 1952 Topps complete set. Starting "the" ultimate post war project

I have decided to take on the very long-term task of building a '52 Topps set (pretty much out of the blue this evening). Beyond the obvious reasons, this epiphany also hit because:

- Making a slow-paced lifetime project out of it will be a fun challenge

- The set is one of the very few that may actually be cheaper to put together piece by piece. The few complete sets that you see are vastly overpriced, and I don't want to consider a 50 k outlay at once anyway.

- Already have Berra, Feller, Hodges, and about a dozen commons. Almost there eh, so why not finish it off

Will likely attempt doing it low (but no awful beaters) to borderline mid-grade, and just look for the best deal on everything in that range.

Has anyone else here taken this on? How has it gone compared to your expectations?
Old 01-28-2020, 09:40 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I was actually thinking about the same thing with the '52s, but then decided to just go to the beach and count the grains of sand. Figured I'd finish that off sooner.

Good luck.

I've actually have thought about this a couple of times (probably just the low numbers), but haven't gotten to a good stopping point on my other projects.

Maybe your idea of a lifetime project might work for me though. It could sort of just sit in the background and grow slowly without feeling a constant need to feed the fire.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 01-28-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:23 AM
Larry More.y

I first started the 52 set in 2005 with a goal of completing the set with an average condition of PSA 5. I worked on it for about a year and a half and got to about 40% (mainly low # commons) by late 2006. However, outside of the Mays card, I had none of the stars and started feeling like I would never complete this set and began working on other sets. For the next 10 years I worked on completing other sets (sets from 53 on up).

In 2016 I realized that the 52 set was a glaring hole in my collection. I also knew at this point that if I went back to building the 52 set, the distraction of building other sets would not be an issue as I had completed most all of the sets on my "list". So I started again on the 52 set. Over the past four years I have used nearly all of my collecting funds on this set. I picked up the Mantle (lower grade with my desired visual appeal) in 2016 knowing that once I had that card, it was down hill from there. I finished the low # run in early 2018 and have focused on the high #s since. I am now 12 cards shy including the Campy, Mathews and Jackie cards. Based on their costs (now), I have an anticipated finish date of 2022.

Minus the 10 year break, this set (based on my available funds/condition preference) will take almost 8 years to complete. For me, this set has been a journey.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:59 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

a fun set...as you can see from my username...i could never get the right mantle as i have assembled almost all the other cards a few times
Old 01-29-2020, 07:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Yes, quite a few times. I love picking up large lots, and upgrading over time. It's a constantly moving project akin to army ants. The cards ebb and flow with new batches coming in, and new collectors picking them up.

It's also a set where I don't see it losing value anytime soon. The tough part is paying for the high series. It stinks paying 50$ or more for commons, but everyone needs them. Demand outweighs supply.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Tom

I am 7 cards from the set, but I know i will never finish.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
a fun set...as you can see from my username...i could never get the right mantle as i have assembled almost all the other cards a few times
I'd never looked at your set. The condition of those

No wonder it was tough to find the Mantle or Mathews for that one.

Did you really stop pressing on with it in December 2014?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

A quarantined '52 T set builder's thoughts from a typical night on ebay:

- "There's that grade 2.5 Duke Snider for 90 bucks 'ending' again. For the 804th time this week. May wanna second guess the price buddy"

- "How many cards out of that lot do I need? 4 out of 6. Usually 4 of 6"

- "Oooo a Matthews is up today. Maybe I should finally give it a shot. Not what I really expected to get, but they'll never get any easier to find, so maybe I better not be picky about him. Ok I'll bid. Hmm outbid already"

- "Where is Hoyt? His cards dance away more than his knuckleball did"

And, as always for most of us....

- "I've never seen a finish line that seems so far away as getting all the high numbers"
Old 01-29-2020, 08:28 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Default Go Get 'Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
I have decided to take on the very long-term task of building a '52 Topps set (pretty much out of the blue this evening). Beyond the obvious reasons, this epiphany also hit because:

- Making a slow-paced lifetime project out of it will be a fun challenge

- The set is one of the very few that may actually be cheaper to put together piece by piece. The few complete sets that you see are vastly overpriced, and I don't want to consider a 50 k outlay at once anyway.

- Already have Berra, Feller, Hodges, and about a dozen commons. Almost there eh, so why not finish it off

Will likely attempt doing it low (but no awful beaters) to borderline mid-grade, and just look for the best deal on everything in that range.

Has anyone else here taken this on? How has it gone compared to your expectations?
I'm on my 2nd run doing 52's. The first time I built it--it was raw and I did it from 1981-1985. It was actually pretty easy as I could find guys with albums with those 8-card pages and flip through 'em to find centered cards.

This time around, the Mantle will make it nearly impossible for me so I'll use a custom Banty Red Mantle.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can say that cards that PSA would deem a "5" that are centered present beautifully and have a slightly handled, beautiful appearance. I am happy to buy them raw. It seems Greg Morris brings higher prices for raw cards than graded examples--so he's really not a great option on-line. Great seller, but a card that sells routinely for 25 bucks in a holder sells for 40 raw. I'll save the $15 and break out the saw! But he's the only guy I find in that position. Most cards raw are affordable. Long-term you'll want centered cards with clean images. They are much easier to re-sell if you need to.

Question for you...are you a numbers guy? Meaning, are you cool with a set that ranges from "3"s to "8's" ? Some guys (me included) don't like such a wide condition range. I have found it's inevitable with 52's. The high numbers make NM and better cards awfully hard to assemble without selling your house.

I'm excited for you and hope you take it on! Keep us posted. At least one guy is very interested in your progress!
Phil
Old 01-29-2020, 01:29 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
I'm on my 2nd run doing 52's. The first time I built it--it was raw and I did it from 1981-1985. It was actually pretty easy as I could find guys with albums with those 8-card pages and flip through 'em to find centered cards.

This time around, the Mantle will make it nearly impossible for me so I'll use a custom Banty Red Mantle.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can say that cards that PSA would deem a "5" that are centered present beautifully and have a slightly handled, beautiful appearance. I am happy to buy them raw. It seems Greg Morris brings higher prices for raw cards than graded examples--so he's really not a great option on-line. Great seller, but a card that sells routinely for 25 bucks in a holder sells for 40 raw. I'll save the $15 and break out the saw! But he's the only guy I find in that position. Most cards raw are affordable. Long-term you'll want centered cards with clean images. They are much easier to re-sell if you need to.

Question for you...are you a numbers guy? Meaning, are you cool with a set that ranges from "3"s to "8's" ? Some guys (me included) don't like such a wide condition range. I have found it's inevitable with 52's. The high numbers make NM and better cards awfully hard to assemble without selling your house.

I'm excited for you and hope you take it on! Keep us posted. At least one guy is very interested in your progress!
Phil
plus issues now of trimming on the high number cards in the nm rnage
Old 01-29-2020, 02:45 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post

I really appreciate all of the input everyone.

As far as what Phil said here: I'll be looking for low grade (w/o anything horribly damaged, bad stains/tape/writing on front, etc) to borderline mid-grade, so basically grade 1.5 to 4-5. Though my Feller is a slabbed 5.5, so I might have to bang a corner on it to keep things uniform Never plan on selling these parts of my collection or upgrading anything I get, so will be taking advantage of that lack of resale value for 85/15ish type centering when possible to lower cost.

It will all be about getting the best deal on anything within those grades while compiling a set that always looks better than beaters, regardless of raw or graded.

I agree that a lot of the Greg Morris raw cards sell at the top of the market, but I've found that occasionally you can find the commons, semi-stars, and even low demand HOFers/bigger names (Ashburn, Red, Roberts, etc) that you need at a very useable price. That was actually where I bought the Hodges yesterday, and that was just before I'd even decided to build the set (at the time, just liked the idea of getting a clean grade 4-5 '52 T card of someone like that for a big discount). So I will still attempt to find anything that falls through the cracks in his auctions.

But getting good deals anywhere on the top names and high numbers will naturally be very difficult, especially in the current market.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-29-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:47 PM
J0hn H@rper

Also, how much trouble did everyone have with avoiding reprints or fakes? It won't be much of a problem for the grades that I'm looking for, but noticing those is not my strong point (other than when it's fairly obvious from an ebay listing that something is up).
Old 01-29-2020, 03:23 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Hey, that's great that you are going for a '52 set. I am right now in the middle of acquiring '52 Topps as well. Man, that set in my opinion, is baseball cards as art. I don't think I'll every try to get the complete set, since as we know, a number of those cards are priced so high, especially Mickey's famous card. But I'm just going to have fun picking up the ones I can.

I never went for graded cards. I'm just going for the ungraded ones from some of the reputable dealers on ebay, and will keep an eye out for some nice ones here on 54.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Perfect centering in that one, nice pick up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 02-07-2020, 06:40 PM
J0hn H@rper

16 commons added. Hard to resist nice low grade ones for 5-6 bucks each.

105/407
Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 PM
J0hn H@rper

Large order received. Roberts, Runnels, seven commons are being returned. Going to be pickier about this set than any other; all the time in the world to be. Every single card doesn't have to fit ideally, but I want anything that doesn't to be more of an exception.

96/407
Old 02-10-2020, 12:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Large order received. Roberts, Runnels, seven commons are being returned. Going to be pickier about this set than any other; all the time in the world to be. Every single card doesn't have to fit ideally, but I want anything that doesn't to be more of an exception.

96/407
That is one thing I wished I had of done when I decided to start back collecting in 2016.
I read some good posts, where those within said what to look for, what to watch, etc, but for some reason, I ignored that advice for the most part.

Not sure why I was in such a hurry to amass as many 52's as I could, but that is what I did. I had fun but I wish I had of been a little more careful with some of my selections.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Default 1952 Topps Set

Completing the set will be a fun, frustrating run. Many on here have noted some of the particular challenges. I completed the base set with most variations several years ago. I am now trying to complete a run of the mid-series gray backs. I realize I will probably never finish it - as it will be almost impossible to obtain a Yellow Tiger House gray back.

However, along the way, I've discovered a number of variations not listed in the Master Set, met a number of other fellow collectors and had quite a bit of fun. This is what collecting is about

Z
Old 04-15-2020, 05:13 PM
J.O.N

Thanks for the inspiration. Decided to take the plunge. Will be a long project but fun. First pickups. The Fitzgerald Gerald and Brazil’s are pretty solid. Not gonna be overly picky but want them decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:34 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
Thanks for the inspiration. Decided to take the plunge. Will be a long project but fun. First pickups. The Fitzgerald Gerald and Brazil’s are pretty solid. Not gonna be overly picky but want them decent.
If the rest of your set ends up like those cards, the condition and cost will be even more varied than mine.

Fitz Gerald and Brazle: condo $
The other three: shack $
Old 04-17-2020, 05:18 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Was looking on the 'Bay for some 1952 and ran across this Spahn.

In the listing, the seller calls this out as a reprint (twice), but I don't know if I would have caught that just looking at the picture/scan. Pretty good fake - or am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Spahn.JPG (25.6 KB, 336 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-17-2020, 05:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

40 card lot now "absurdly priced" in the auction that wint be outed

Offered on a raw "possible psa 2" oc 60/40 high number, rounded like a freaking playing card corners, sold for 134.50

Slow and steady, and still need mantle and mathews along with Hugh's in sig line

Have a bib kelly f-g fst

Old 12-13-2020, 05:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Thought I'd share, best centered jackie and willie I could find decently priced. Jackie Was a psa 2.5, now a 2. Willie was also a psa 3. Both terribly undergraded, though willie has a little gouge under his chin

I'm about 50% complete, with 50% left to be graded. Missing Mantle and Matthews and unlikely to buy them at current prices.

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-14-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Thought I'd share, best centered jackie and willie I could find decently priced. Jackie Was a psa 2.5, now a 2. Willie was also a psa 3. Both terribly undergraded, though willie has a little gouge under his chin

I'm about 50% complete, with 50% left to be graded. Missing Mantle and Matthews and unlikely to buy them at current prices.

Did you submit these for a possible grade bump, Ted, but they went the other way, or is it something different than that?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:52 PM
Ethan

Beautiful cards!

Quote:

Old 12-13-2020, 06:26 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I cracked them out. They look like no brainers for bumps

Old 12-13-2020, 06:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I cracked them out. They look like no brainers for bumps

I can maybe understand the Mays a little, but that Jackie?? I know a scan/pic doesn't tell the whole story but from here that is likely the nicest looking 2 Jackie I have ever seen!
Old 12-13-2020, 06:36 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Literally imperceptible wrinkle, 3/4 past the Dodgers logo on the far left

Old 12-13-2020, 06:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Literally imperceptible wrinkle, 3/4 past the Dodgers logo on the far left

I think you got a grader who was in a bad mood that day, Ted?

Seeing/reading this makes me even less likely to send any of my cards in as most have some sort of issue here or there.

Spending the money it would cost me to get some of my top/high value cards graded simply wouldn't be worth it.

Sorry to hear that happened, Ted.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:18 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Thanks guys!

I'll even take some scuffing and turds on the fronts in lieu of centering

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-14-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:24 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Thanks guys!

That's some great stuff Ted. I can never keep track of what you need, how, and where
Old 12-13-2020, 08:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

Tonight I just got Dick Groat PSA 2 from everything that was up for auction tonight, a.k.a wheelbarrows of money going to PWCC for high numbers at record levels

It's a rough 2 on the front, but that card can't be had for less than 550-600 anywhere now otherwise (I don't count the one available BIN in a non-big 3 TPGer slab)

375/407

Last edited by cardsagain74; 12-13-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:17 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Thanks guys!

And your Bartirome received the same grade as your Robinson.

That's just not right.

Last edited by irv; 12-13-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:18 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I know Dale, live by the sword, die by the sword

Old 12-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Ethan

Default 1952 Topps

I picked up this beauty today. Closing in slowly on the set. Still looking for: 261, 311, 312, 345, 362, 373, 386, 396, 403, 407.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2541.jpg (74.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Very nice. I have always wondered why did they choose the pick of him with his eyes closed? Wonder how many cards exist with the player having their eyes closed? I bet someone out there collects just that thing haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
I picked up this beauty today. Closing in slowly on the set. Still looking for: 261, 311, 312, 345, 362, 373, 386, 396, 403, 407.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:22 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Always thought he was just looking down.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Always thought he was just looking down.

I did too but I think Campyfan is right, they look closed.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:05 PM
J0hn H@rper

An SGC 2.5 Nuxhall picked up. Threw a modest offer out there (that I never thought would be accepted after last night's auctions), but it was.

Now that I was able to find that one and Groat (which are really getting tougher to snag without paying way up, so I feel fortunate)....if I can get Hoyt, which based on the last few posts, every one else is , then this will finally start to feel close.

376/407
Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM
J0hn H@rper

It's been a long time since I've expressed disappointment with acquiring any of these, but unfortunately that happened today.

The Bartirome package arrived and I'm not happy. Most of the seven cards are worse than the pics, both graded and raw. The Bartirome is one of the worst psa 2.5s I’ve ever seen. The only mid grade one, a psa 4, has a minor bend across the top left quadrant that creases down that part of the back.

It’s almost bad enough to wonder if someone messed the with the cases. But since the raw ones are a disappointment too, he may have had just the worst of everything he was selling left. Plus there wouldn’t be much to gain by removing a legit PSA 4 high # common from a slab and replacing it with the equivalent of a 2.5-3. The cards smelled and felt real so they are likely authentic.

I’m probably not even going to confront him about it though, because replacing them is not worth the very minor value increases I’d have in the end after paying more expensive prices and new shipping/taxes/etc elsewhere. So I still plan on keeping them.

But I should’ve stuck to my instincts. Even though the seller was a veteran for this venue with a great rep, buying '52 highs from him in this spot just didn't feel quite right.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hi John, sorry this happened.

was it someone from the board or via Ebay?

Old 12-16-2020, 01:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The simple fact you pulled a Bartirome away from the hoarder makes me smile. Hope the final 10% goes well

Old 12-16-2020, 01:46 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
The simple fact you pulled a Bartirome away from the hoarder makes me smile. Hope the final 10% goes well

I'm just glad that the majority is done. Still sometimes talk to Dale about how if we hadn't already gotten this far on the '52, there's no way we would now.

Below is a good representation of what you and countless others have seen happen since covid began for the set. First the Mays that 1100 bucks would get in late February, followed by the Mays that it got someone in an auction last night (plus fees for that one, no less):

Old 12-16-2020, 04:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

With the arrival of Pafko and Berra today, and Martin yesterday, I can now say my 52 Topps low number run is now complete!

With 35 highs still needed, and some spendy ones at that, it is going to be extremely tough for me to ever complete the whole set, but I must say, I am pretty happy to have finally completed the low number run!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andy Pafko 52 Topps BB.jpg (78.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg Yogi Berra 52 Topps.jpg (77.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Martin 1952 Topps 175.jpg (78.9 KB, 227 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 04:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
With the arrival of Pafko and Berra today, and Martin yesterday, I can now say my 52 Topps low number run is now complete!

With 35 highs still needed, and some spendy ones at that, it is going to be extremely tough for me to ever complete the whole set, but I must say, I am pretty happy to have finally completed the low number run!
Great stuff, eh, you hoser!! (Did I speak correct Canadian there? )

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:09 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Great stuff, eh, you hoser!! (Did I speak correct Canadian there? )
Yep, that is spot on!

Thanks Jolly!
Old 12-16-2020, 05:28 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:

Nice way to finish it off, congrats!
Old 12-16-2020, 05:36 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:

Old 12-16-2020, 07:32 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:

Dale, congrats on completing the low numbers. Don't give up hope on completing the set.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:28 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Dale, congrats on completing the low numbers. Don't give up hope on completing the set.
Thanks Jay.

I am not entirely giving up but with these last 3 cards I was stung with having to pay duty on, so my chances of looking/obtaining high number cards from south of the border just became way more expensive and that is not a path I am going to continue to go down.

If I can acquire them up here that will be a different story but eliminating cards that come from the U.S., easily cuts my chances of finding/obtaining them by at least 75%, imo.

It was a fun run but like what I have been doing lately is collecting hockey cards from CDN sellers, and that has also been fun (and much cheaper) so that is what I will likely continue to do going forward for the time being anyways.

Last edited by irv; 12-17-2020 at 08:29 AM.