NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Jamie

Default Philosophical Grading Question - 33 Ruth #144

I said what the hell last weekend and won this last week from the Uncle Jimmy Collection Ruth. I have seen some pretty rough ones being sold, so I figured this had some nice eye appeal. I am not selling it, but figured I would ask some experts.

Without looking at the clubhouse signature, what do you think the card would grade?

1933 Goudey Ruth #144 Club House.jpg
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM
Jamie

1933 Goudey Back.jpg
Old 02-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Pete Sycks

Sorry to bring some bad news, but PSA / BGS / SGC won't grade just the card with the secretarial auto on it. I just tried with one of my higher end cards. They won't slab the card even authentic.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Scott Russell

As Pete noted the reality, for the philosophy of the question I would say a "4" provided that top edge isn't trimmed.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-27-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would've said 4.5, but you'll need to tell us if there are any creases/surface wrinkles. These often don't show up in scans like that, and definitely factor into the grade.

Definitely for the better, that PSA won't grade it... The card won't be absent from your collection for 10+ months, you won't risk damage or loss in shipping, you'll save yourself lots of money, and you won't have to see their negative assessment on the flip every time you look at it.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:18 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Sorry to bring some bad news, but PSA / BGS / SGC won't grade just the card with the secretarial auto on it. I just tried with one of my higher end cards. They won't slab the card even authentic.
I submitted a question regarding this subject to PSA some time ago. I specifically asked if PSA would grade a card with an inauthentic signature as a regular card, albeit with a MK qualifier.
This is the response I received

Thank you for contacting PSA Customer Service. We apologize for our delayed response.

If you submit the card for card authentication/grading only and it has writing on it, it will be graded with the MK qualifier. I would suggest adding notes under the 'Submission Comments/Requests' on your Online Submission form so that our authenticators are aware of the inauthentic autograph on your cards.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:20 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Thanks, I know and understand that. Makes perfect sense.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 02-27-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:46 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I would've said 4.5, but you'll need to tell us if there are any creases/surface wrinkles. These often don't show up in scans like that, and definitely factor into the grade.

Definitely for the better, that PSA won't grade it... The card won't be absent from your collection for 10+ months, you won't risk damage or loss in shipping, you'll save yourself lots of money, and you won't have to see their negative assessment on the flip every time you look at it.
Not that can see with the naked eye. I agree and look forward to enjoying it.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2021, 03:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I submitted a question regarding this subject to PSA some time ago. I specifically asked if PSA would grade a card with an inauthentic signature as a regular card, albeit with a MK qualifier.
This is the response I received

Thank you for contacting PSA Customer Service. We apologize for our delayed response.

If you submit the card for card authentication/grading only and it has writing on it, it will be graded with the MK qualifier. I would suggest adding notes under the 'Submission Comments/Requests' on your Online Submission form so that our authenticators are aware of the inauthentic autograph on your cards.
This is pretty stupid of them. First, they're actually willing to slab it with a MK qualifier. Second, you have to tell them the auto is fake... ;-)

If they are going to slab this card with a number grade, they need to put something on the flip like "AUTOGRAPH NOT AUTHENTIC" or buyers are going to get confused and people are going to try and pawn it off as real.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
This is pretty stupid of them. First, they're actually willing to slab it with a MK qualifier. Second, you have to tell them the auto is fake... ;-)

If they are going to slab this card with a number grade, they need to put something on the flip like "AUTOGRAPH NOT AUTHENTIC" or buyers are going to get confused and people are going to try and pawn it off as real.
Based on communication with Chuck/Stacey PSA would not slab like the others. Not sure if the work around as suggested above was discussed, but I would think if something was marked “Authentic” that would be confusing. An interesting situation in general.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 PM
�tis J�hns�n

The PSA response I quoted in post #6 above came from a Hector Ortega.