NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2023, 04:53 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default Ebay Question: Tracking shows a "Your item is on its way to authenticator" message??

So I bought a card off of Ebay recently from a reputable seller and paid by Paypal. I believe my funds went through as normal and the seller has shipped the card.

Only question I have is that, when I checked the tracking status of the card, I see this "Your item is on the way to authenticator" message. It appears to still be moving along as normal though from stop to stop on it's way here.

Has anyone seen this before and / or knows what it means?
(screenshot of exactly what I'm seeing is below)

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Authenticator.png

Last edited by shammus; 01-13-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:02 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Yes, this occuring alot recently. Ebay is behind by 12-24 hrs. You could get a more accurate location by plugging the tracking number in the USPS website.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:06 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...gcards-seller/

This is how it works on ebay now. It’s been like this for for almost a year.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:07 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I just noticed the package apparently went from Cincinnati, Ohio to Anaheim, CA....bypassing my address in Kansas City....really odd.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:09 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...gcards-seller/

This is how it works on ebay now. It’s been like this for for almost a year.
Ahhh....ok. Had no idea Ebay was doing this. I typically buy Magic the Gathering cards on Ebay in the $1-$5 dollar range....lol. This is the first card of substantial value I've purchased in a very long time.

Nice that both graded cards and ungraded cards qualify for this service and I suppose it just happens automatically without me needing to sign up for anything. I suppose that also explains the card's sojourn out in California....

Last edited by shammus; 01-13-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:10 PM
Todd Jenkins

It has happened with the last two cards I purchased, a PSA graded Tom Brady RC and a PSA graded Luka Doncic RC. I think it has something to do with sellers and the vault. I really don't get why they send it to get authenticated when it is PSA graded. Both cards I recieved were sent to Santa Ana, CA. It will come in a nice navy blue display box but it will take 4 to 5 days longer. I hope some others elaborate on it becuase truthfully, I don't get it.

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 01-13-2023, 05:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Maybe Yoda can regale us with tales about his great love for the authentication program…

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-13-2023, 05:40 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins View Post
It has happened with the last two cards I purchased, a PSA graded Tom Brady RC and a PSA graded Luka Doncic RC. I think it has something to do with sellers and the vault. I really don't get why they send it to get authenticated when it is PSA graded. Both cards I recieved were sent to Santa Ana, CA. It will come in a nice navy blue display box but it will take 4 to 5 days longer. I hope some others elaborate on it becuase truthfully, I don't get it.
I, Totally misunderstood the OPs question. For the past year, in order to decrease fraud in its platform , eBay has been sending cards to get authenticated. Graded cards go to PSA to have the slabs authenticated. (There have been reports of cards in “fake” slabs. This week there was a ‘86 Jordan card in a fake PSA slab being auctioned off ). Authenticating the slabs is a way to discourage this practice.
Raw cards and cards in CSG slabs go to CSG for authentication. I like this because it provides a “second pair of eyes” on whether the card is legit or not.

Authentication is also a check on sellers who do not mail the cards to the buyer. The seller is on the “hook” when the card is mailed to the authenticator. Ebay takes custody of the card once it gets to the Authenticator. Authentication also acts as a check on unscrupulous buyers. Ebay is responsible for the card’s journey from the Authenticator to the buyer. If the buyer claims he never received the card, then buyer has to settle the dispute directly with Ebay

Last edited by EddieP; 01-13-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:05 PM
Todd Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieP View Post
I, Totally misunderstood the OPs question. For the past year, in order to decrease fraud in its platform , eBay has been sending cards to get authenticated. Graded cards go to PSA to have the slabs authenticated. (There have been reports of cards in “fake” slabs. This week there was a ‘86 Jordan card in a fake PSA slab being auctioned off ). Authenticating the slabs is a way to discourage this practice.
Raw cards and cards in CSG slabs go to CSG for authentication. I like this because it provides a “second pair of eyes” on whether the card is legit or not.

Authentication is also a check on sellers who do not mail the cards to the buyer. The seller is on the “hook” when the card is mailed to the authenticator. Ebay takes custody of the card once it gets to the Authenticator. Authentication also acts as a check on unscrupulous buyers. Ebay is responsible for the card’s journey from the Authenticator to the buyer. If the buyer claims he never received the card, then buyer has to settle the dispute directly with Ebay
Thanks for the clarification. I makes sense.

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 01-14-2023, 11:08 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Wow...so maybe, just maybe, it's safe to take a chance on an ungraded card since Ebay's going to send it along for authentication anyway? Just as long as it's over $250? That's actually fairly significant in my eyes....

Last edited by shammus; 01-14-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:37 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Eddie,

Is that something new about CSG graded cards not going to PSA for slab authentication? Had not heard that before, just that all raw cards went to CSG, and supposedly all already graded cards went to PSA. Makes sense if Ebay did such a change to their authentication program. Who would know a slab better than the company that actually used it, right?
Old 01-14-2023, 01:47 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Eddie,

Is that something new about CSG graded cards not going to PSA for slab authentication? Had not heard that before, just that all raw cards went to CSG, and supposedly all already graded cards went to PSA. Makes sense if Ebay did such a change to their authentication program. Who would know a slab better than the company that actually used it, right?
To the best of my knowledge, it is not mentioned anywhere by eBay. However, every card I bought with a CSG slab was authenticated by CSG.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:12 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Maybe Yoda can regale us with tales about his great love for the authentication program…
Yoda will have to pass. Otherwise, his blood pressure will spike to dangerous levels. He is not as young as he used to be.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, it is not mentioned anywhere by eBay. However, every card I bought with a CSG slab was authenticated by CSG.
Thanks,

Good to know, and makes sense. Just surprised that nothing seems to be said about that in any written instructions/descriptions of the Authentication Program.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Wow...so maybe, just maybe, it's safe to take a chance on an ungraded card since Ebay's going to send it along for authentication anyway? Just as long as it's over $250? That's actually fairly significant in my eyes....
If you trust CSG to verify the card, then yes. Because once it passes authentication from CSG, you're going to have a VERY hard time returning it.
Although, I haven't seen many complaints here or on blowout about them getting it wrong (most recently they authenticated an Orange Shimmer refractor auto /25 as an Orange auto /25 incorrectly, but I think the blame should be shared with Topps for duplicating parallels and the buyer/seller not seeing the difference in the pictures on the listing). The major complaints I've seen on raw cards have centered around delays or cramming oversized cards into Cardsavers not meant to hold them.

One of the recent changes to the process recently is that not all cards get signature required now, usually only for ones listed above $750. I'm wondering if this is to allow people with PO Boxes to be put in the program as well, since they were originally not covered, a loophole that could be exploited by sellers.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-14-2023 at 03:55 PM.