NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Snow, very much appreciate the time you took. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play.

This should put a stop to all the lofty talk we've heard from people about how AI is going to be a game changer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-11-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:27 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Snow, very much appreciate the time you took.
+1 Great job and great detail. Better understanding now. Long way to go

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-11-2021, 03:04 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Snow, very much appreciate the time you took. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play.

This should put a stop to all the lofty talk we've heard from people about how AI is going to be a game changer.
I'd be a poor data scientist if I didn't also point out this this is just my opinion. I could be wrong, and if so, it wouldn't be the first time I was proven wrong by someone more creative and intelligent than myself who found a new method of solving a difficult problem that changes the game for everyone. That said, I'd gladly wager a lot of money against it.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I'd be a poor data scientist if I didn't also point out this this is just my opinion. I could be wrong, and if so, it wouldn't be the first time I was proven wrong by someone more creative and intelligent than myself who found a new method of solving a difficult problem that changes the game for everyone. That said, I'd gladly wager a lot of money against it.
Well, the GenaMint guy has posted here, let's see if he has a rebuttal. I'm very impressed though with the force of your arguments and the clarity with which you made them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-11-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:05 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
I think you are right. It technically can be done but the insane cost and resources to develop are not worth the ROI like Self Driving cars.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I think you are right. It technically can be done but the insane cost and resources to develop are not worth the ROI like Self Driving cars.
Yes, you could definitely write algorithms that could assign grades to cards and detect alterations. I just don't think the output of such models would be even remotely accurate enough to be all that helpful or useful in the real world. Would be happy to engage in a discussion with the genamint guys if they wanted to offer a rebuttal though. Also worth noting is that there are other ML approaches that could be used, but they'd all be subject to the same challenges.

There's a reason why PSA isn't currently using this technology to grade cards though despite having made a significant investment in it several months ago.

My suspicion is that they're simply taking scans in high def and with other light spectrums like UV and writing software to detect card stock that glows in blacklight, and that fingerprints cards and runs them against their database of existing cards to see if they have a match. Then those cards can be flagged for further investigation by the grading team. But this isn't machine learning, and it's certainly not "AI". I suspect they're just being rather liberal with the term "AI grading" because it's a big buzzword these days and it sounds good in a marketing campaign.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:53 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I nominate Snowman to be the Official AI Representative of Net54baseball Forum!!!

Anyone want to 2nd the nomination

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-17-2021, 06:48 AM
Howard Chasser

Default WOW! Thank you snowman

I was guilty of loving and getting excited about the concept so much that I hadn't taken the time to understand it (nor would I have known even where to begin if I wanted to). Your explanation was an incredible, sad and necessary reality check. I suppose we'll see where things go from here.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:06 AM
Casey

Delete

Last edited by Case12; 08-17-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I nominate Snowman to be the Official AI Representative of Net54baseball Forum!!!

Anyone want to 2nd the nomination
Second.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Agree with you. As you pointed out in your detailed narrative, there will always be a need for human involvement and input in regards to AI and ML, and that is the biggest problem with just turning everything over to machines and computers. The next generations don't bother learning about the actual details of how to do things without the machines/computers, so when something happens and you can't use them, the younger generations may not have the ability to maintain or fix things going forward because they've learned to just let the computers/machines do everything. As more and more baby boomers retire every day, we are losing experience and knowledge in many areas that the younger people aren't taking up. So say they do end up using AI/ML to eventually grade cards, after some time all the experienced human card graders who had been helping to maintain those automated gradings systems will have retired or passed. So what happens then if problems or issues occur requiring more human involvement, and there aren't really any experienced graders around?

And this is for everything when it comes to the younger generations, not just the grading of cards by machines. Just think how many times you've gone to a store and given a young cashier money, and if it wasn't for the register doing the calculation for them, they can't really figure out the proper change.

Last edited by BobC; 08-11-2021 at 04:52 PM.