NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Collector's Conundrum

We all know value (price) is influenced by both condition and scarcity of an item.
With our experience with registries in the hobby, the value increases exponentially secondary to both these factors as well as the grade.

Let's say that there is a hypothetical rare item A worth $20000 in today's market and only two of them are known to exist.

Let's then say there is another very similar hypothetical item B worth $100000 in today's market and it is a true 1 of 1.

Let's also say that you own one of the two existing copies of item A.

Now an auction comes along and lo and behold the second item A has been consigned. The auction is almost over and a bid of $20000 has been made.

The world has been searched for decades and it is very unlikely that any more As or Bs are out there.

What do you do?

A) Go to bed

B) Place a bid of $21000 in the auction and raise it conservatively as needed until you have won the item. When you receive the item, you simply destroy it and consign your only existing item A in the next auction and wait for it to sell for around $100000.

If, my friend, you did not go to bed and answered B, I would suggest that you have turned the Collector's Nightmare into the Collector's Dream.

In other words, you will sleep better if you don't go to bed.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I vote C, buy it and hoard them.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

D Fight the hypothetical.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:59 AM
pete ullman

frank...you neglected to mention that the bid of 21000 is really a bid of @25K with the buyers premium(assuming this is in an auction house)...and what the hell does item b have to do with the price of lemons?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
frank...you neglected to mention that the bid of 21000 is really a bid of @25K with the buyers premium(assuming this is in an auction house)...and what the hell does item b have to do with the price of lemons?
pete... what the hell does the buyer's premium have to do with the general premise of the conundrum .... and if you're talking about a lemon named Bob, nothing.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Rocky Rockwell

One of one or one of two is only valid until the next big find. Thats the fun and the agony of collecting!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Mike

Hypothetically, I would do neither. The other day, while taking my cow to town to sell her, a nice guy, after trading me three magic beans for her, gave me a hot tip. I would take the $21K and buy 1000 Factory sealed '92 Donruss Sets. He told me that that's where all the smart money is going. (Keep it under your hat. Okay fellas?)

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 11-25-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:25 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

If I choose A) Go to bed, would I being going to bed alone, or would Jennifer Aniston be there to take care of my conundrum???
Old 11-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
If I choose A) Go to bed, would I being going to bed alone, or would Jennifer Aniston be there to take care of my conundrum???
That depends ...Is your Conundrum wrapped in an Enigma?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Val Kehl

Frank, yes, "we all know value (price) is influenced by both condition and scarcity of an item." However, you failed to mention that value (price) is also greatly influenced by the DEMAND for an item. If Item A were in a set that has next to no collector demand, I'd go to bed (with or without J.A.) - I have a few such cards, and they aren't worth anything remotely close to $20K. But, if Item A were in a popular set, I'm a +1 to what Leon said.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Frank, yes, "we all know value (price) is influenced by both condition and scarcity of an item." However, you failed to mention that value (price) is also greatly influenced by the DEMAND for an item. If Item A were in a set that has next to no collector demand, I'd go to bed (with or without J.A.) - I have a few such cards, and they aren't worth anything remotely close to $20K. But, if Item A were in a popular set, I'm a +1 to what Leon said.
Demand for A and B at the prices stated is a constant in the Conundrum.

Demand for J. A. is a variable, Val, with no guarantee that either you or she can deliver.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:08 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Where's the conundrum the answer is clearly B.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Hypothetically, I would do neither. The other day, while taking my cow to town to sell her, a nice guy, after trading me three magic beans for her, gave me a hot tip. I would take the $21K and buy 1000 Factory sealed '92 Donruss Sets. He told me that that's where all the smart money is going. (Keep it under your hat. Okay fellas?)
Hey, I met the same guy! He told me 1988 Donruss is where the big money is!

Mike
Old 11-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Default Similar to plot of Flaubert short story

This is essentially the plot dilemma in Flaubert's Bibliomania short story.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 AM
bi11h00d

Whatever became of the blue Old Mill ....
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
This is essentially the plot dilemma in Flaubert's Bibliomania short story.
Indeed Frank had a very sentimental education.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I do not think B is a viable answer to the conundrum. If the market has valued card A with two known copies at $20,000 and an Auction that is live at the moment is verifying the market value then I do not believe that reducing the population by one you would dramatically increase the price. Just like finding 2 more of card A almost certainly not dramatically reduce the current market price.
Demand for the card would remain constant and supply reduced by 50% with constant demand might cause the card to shift slightly higher just as an increase of supply would cause a small downshift in price. So destroying the second known copy would almost certainly result in economic loss. Over Time that might not be true but the immediate impact would be negative.
And no real collector of Baseball cards would rather have one card when he could have two..
JMHO
Jonathan
Old 11-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I do not think B is a viable answer to the conundrum. If the market has valued card A with two known copies at $20,000 and an Auction that is live at the moment is verifying the market value then I do not believe that reducing the population by one you would dramatically increase the price. Just like finding 2 more of card A almost certainly not dramatically reduce the current market price.
Demand for the card would remain constant and supply reduced by 50% with constant demand might cause the card to shift slightly higher just as an increase of supply would cause a small downshift in price. So destroying the second known copy would almost certainly result in economic loss. Over Time that might not be true but the immediate impact would be negative.
And no real collector of Baseball cards would rather have one card when he could have two..
JMHO
Jonathan

If anyone is contemplating destroying a 21,000 dollar card as a result of this thread, I can refer you to get the therapy you need. That's a better deal than Flaubert offered.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Paul

When you bid on the second copy of your card you are also simultaneously setting the value of the first copy -- both of them really. So every dollar you bid is another dollar in your pocket. It's free money. You're literally playing with the house money. No need to destroy the second copy -- you've got two worth half!

Or something like that...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206