NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-10-2020, 10:22 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default 2020 a devastating year in many ways

We lose Lou Brock, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, and Whitey Ford. For all those who grew up with baseball heroes from 50's, 60's and into the 70's this is so tragic. I cannot stop shedding tears over Whitey. Growing up in SoCal, will never forget Sandy besting Whitey in '63 not once but twice.....including the game four 2-1 W for the sweep - whereby the great Whitey showed up with a TWO hitter. Easy to make a case for Whitey as the best big game P in history - even when he lost. RIP Edward Charles Ford.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:47 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
We lose Lou Brock, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, and Whitey Ford. For all those who grew up with baseball heroes from 50's, 60's and into the 70's this is so tragic. I cannot stop shedding tears over Whitey. Growing up in SoCal, will never forget Sandy besting Whitey in '63 not once but twice.....including the game four 2-1 W for the sweep - whereby the great Whitey showed up with a TWO hitter. Easy to make a case for Whitey as the best big game P in history - even when he lost. RIP Edward Charles Ford.
Maybe I am what used to be called an old fud, but I really and truly believe that was the all-time best era of baseball, before the big money and free agency ruined it forever. Now it appears to be strictly business; even the post-series-clinching pile-on looks like a cliche, just doing what's expected. The players today don't look like they are just having fun, more like the kind of fun that comes with being paid big-time money, so much that they can't even remember or comprehend what it is like to make what it is that real people make out here in reality land. "Does anyone remember laughter?", as Robert Plant used to say. I can't wait until the names become "Dunkin' Donuts Fenway Park" and "Cal-Edison Dodger Stadium", or "Mutual of New York Yankee Stadium". Do players get nicknames anymore? Can you get an autograph without "On-Field VIP Access"? Do players give interviews without seeming as though they are watching the stock report behind the interviewer, or sounding as if they have a corn cob jammed up their you know what? As good as they are, are there any of the so-called "household names" in baseball anymore? Sad that Whitey Ford passed away? You bet it is. For all of his off-the-field exploits with Mickey Mantle and Billy Martin, the big question is, who is going to fill his cleats?

Last edited by jingram058; 10-10-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-12-2020, 10:39 AM
J@mes In.gram

Sadly, we can now add Joe Morgan to this somber list. When I was 15, in 1973 I watched him hit a home run at Wrigley Field that also scored Pete Rose who was on second. The ball never got more than 25 feet off the ground. But the Cubs won the game.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't forget Don Larsen.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Tom S

Yes, it is sad when many of these legends pass away. Most of the ones mentioned in this thread lived long full lives.

The ones that make me sad are the players cut down in the prime of life; guys like Gehrig, Clemente, Hunter to name a few.

On a brighter note, there are still 17 living players from the iconic 1952 Topps set, including Willie Mays.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Curt

15 former Brooklyn Dodgers are still alive too, and if I am counting right, 3 of the 17 living 52 Topps members are Dodgers (Morgan, Erskine and Terwilliger).

That number will naturally dwindle quickly though, with the youngest man age 82. I am not superstitious, but I would like to see the year end without a single Brooklyn player passing in 2020 and I hesitate even mentioning it. Glen Mickens was the last former Brooklyn player to die, back in June 2019, so it has been well over a year but let's take it into 2021 before we have to mourn another! Death is inevitable, but it is nice to see a stretch where we get a break from it.