NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2020, 04:08 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I think Vegas would be their biggest Show ever. They are short-sighted and yes... cheap.
I think vegas would attract the most participants who didn't go to the destination specifically for it...if that makes sense?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:12 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I'd go if they ever did it in Las Vegas
Old 03-31-2020, 04:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think vegas would attract the most participants who didn't go to the destination specifically for it...if that makes sense?
Yes, makes complete sense...

They would get a ton of extra foot traffic from tourists who aren't there specifically for the sports convention (but are curious to check it out). God forbid, we get some new blood in this hobby...

In addition to this incremental interest and increased foot traffic, Las Vegas would attract more seasoned collectors as well. As for logistics... there are easy direct flights to Vegas from most markets. Same cannot be said for the painfully dreadful accessibility of Atlantic City.

Too bad they'll never even consider Vegas... just too cheap!

Last edited by perezfan; 03-31-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:50 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Yes, makes complete sense...

They would get a ton of extra foot traffic from tourists who aren't there specifically for the sports convention (but are curious to check it out). God forbid, we get some new blood in this hobby...

In addition to this incremental interest and increased foot traffic, Las Vegas would attract more seasoned collectors as well. As for logistics... there are easy direct flights to Vegas from most markets. Same cannot be said for the painfully dreadful accessibility of Atlantic City.

Too bad they'll never even consider Vegas... just too cheap!
Vegas would be expensive for the dealers...and thats a problem too.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:35 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
I think Vegas would be their biggest Show ever. They are short-sighted and yes... cheap.
Smart, not cheap. You seem to like that word, you must be a true high roller.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Bill Scheffel

Default The National

Another big issue the dealers would have, is the loss of potential collector spending $, due to losses from the gambling tables and slots in Vegas. Much more prevalent and readily accessible, then in Atlantic City.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
Smart, not cheap. You seem to like that word, you must be a true high roller.
I’m not.

I’d just like to see it happen in a fresh place, west of the Mississippi maybe once or twice per decade. Mix it up a tiny bit, for gosh sake. San Diego would be another excellent venue. Great convention center, beautifully sandwiched between the waterfront and the gas lamp district, with a slew of great restaurants and bars.

I say “cheap” because they practically get free “rent” in Cleveland and AC. No attendee would choose those 2 venues, if given even a small multiple choice. No offense to anyone who lives in those great cities, but direct flights are quite difficult, logistics are only good for a scant few, and recreational activities are limited. I have no problem at all with Chicago every other year.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I wasn't going to AC and am still not going to the National. When the committee pulls their heads from where the sun don't shine, I will be back. It has been a clusterfu@! since Mike Berkus passed away. They all need to be fired if you ask me. Start at the top. (I fully realize that can't happen, but it can't hurt to hope.)

Last edited by Leon; 04-01-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I wasn't going to AC and am still not going to the National. When the committee pulls their heads from where the sun don't shine, I will be back. It has been a clusterfu@! since Mike Berkus passed away. They all need to be fired if you ask me. Start at the top. (I fully realize that can't happen, but it can't hurt to hope.)

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Speaking of Mike Berkus, here is a link to the thread he participated in 2012 (I think 8 separate posts total in the thread) about the various reasons behind convention site selection. His comments start on post #14.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114661

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-01-2020 at 11:27 AM.