NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-17-2020, 08:59 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default Did Johnny Bench Ruin My 68 Topps Rookie of His

Recently got some Bench autos from a private signing a few months ago (2 68’s and 2 69’s). The others turned out pretty good but this one just looks totally off. I know they’re real and plan on keeping it for my PC, but still a little frustrating because I doubt it would pass PSA if I did want to sell it one day. Was slabbed in an SGC 70 and the other that he signed came out perfect but was raw and probably GD+ or maybe VG at best. What do you guys think? IMO, the B and h are totally different than normal. Also a little disappointed because I asked for a thin sharpie but he signed them with a regular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAADC396-BDD9-4E42-87C6-24FA734761B3.jpg (12.2 KB, 234 views)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Here’s one of the 69’s he signed. Much better looking but still has changed from others I have of his. Have noticed that his signature has changed a lot over the last 10 years... still much better than modern players but definitely looking more grungy than it was during the 90’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA618B03-7876-4FDE-8FFE-B8C5C28F2AB8.jpg (11.4 KB, 233 views)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:24 PM
Bobw

Maybe he didn't want to sign on Tompkins so he had to squeeze.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:52 PM

These are very odd and very ugly for him. Bench is usually a much more careful signer. Unlike the Ryan RC, I've always advocated for having Bench and Tompkins sign at the top of this card for a cleaner aesthetic.

I'm sure you're already aware, but Mr. Tompkins signs this one for $10 which he donates to charity. All other autographs are free of charge. He has a tendency to stack his signature at the top left of his photo. If you want something different in this regard, be sure to specify. He's a very nice person, so chances are he'll comply with whatever your preference may be.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I've seen more than just these two sloppy efforts from Bench as of late, so it's a very safe bet that any TPA has encountered even more of them and will be familiar, especially if you give it a little more time before submitting. It truly does appear that Bench has gotten less careful, but it can't possibly be that. Considering how exacting he has been in signing his name for so long, you have to wonder if maybe it's something like arthritis. He was always a perfectionist with his autograph.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-17-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

looks fine to me, a typical bench signature these days. the sharpie started out thin but after signing a couple sigs that's how it ended up...just be glad it wasn't dying.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:11 AM
Brad Jerome

I do remember reading a post a while back on SCN about Bench indicating that he had been having some problems with his hands and worried about his writing being affected. This was back in 2014 regarding an appearance on WFAN.

Last edited by bjerome; 12-18-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
These are very odd and very ugly for him. Bench is usually a much more careful signer. Unlike the Ryan RC, I've always advocated for having Bench and Tompkins sign at the top of this card for a cleaner aesthetic.

I'm sure you're already aware, but Mr. Tompkins signs this one for $10 which he donates to charity. All other autographs are free of charge. He has a tendency to stack his signature at the top left of his photo. If you want something different in this regard, be sure to specify. He's a very nice person, so chances are he'll comply with whatever your preference may be.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I've seen more than just these two sloppy efforts from Bench as of late, so it's a very safe bet that any TPA has encountered even more of them and will be familiar, especially if you give it a little more time before submitting. It truly does appear that Bench has gotten less careful, but it can't possibly be that. Considering how exacting he has been in signing his name for so long, you have to wonder if maybe it's something like arthritis. He was always a perfectionist with his autograph.
But he uses Blue Emu and it doesn't stink!
Old 12-18-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Recently got some Bench autos from a private signing a few months ago (2 68’s and 2 69’s). The others turned out pretty good but this one just looks totally off. I know they’re real and plan on keeping it for my PC, but still a little frustrating because I doubt it would pass PSA if I did want to sell it one day. Was slabbed in an SGC 70 and the other that he signed came out perfect but was raw and probably GD+ or maybe VG at best. What do you guys think? IMO, the B and h are totally different than normal. Also a little disappointed because I asked for a thin sharpie but he signed them with a regular.
I just got back my 70 Topps Bench from Tom Orr's private signing and it looks about the same as yours.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:48 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
But he uses Blue Emu and it doesn't stink!
That comment made me laugh out loud!
Old 12-19-2020, 12:56 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post

Agreed. Bench has always had a strong, heavy, signature. He just turned 73 years of age and the hands of catchers take a beating. Given his position and age, I would expect his signature to get a tad loose/sloppy. I have a Yogi Berra lithograph, I had him sign and he really looped the bottom of the Y. Given that I witnessed the signing, I know the signature is legit, but it is much different from every other Berra signature in the collection.

To answer your question, no, I don't think Bench ruined the card. I have always taken the way the person signs with a grain of salt. Once the item is in front of them it is theirs to autograph in a way they think best (I am not a location freak). That is what their signature was at that point in time. If it is not clear where to sign, most ask. When signing a Perez-Steele postcard Lou Brock asked "Do you want the Yogi Berra, Lou Brock autograph or the regular autograph?" I have had players start, stop and restart. Start on part of a post card and then realize that the area where they were signing was not ideal and start at another location. I have a Charlie Brown piece where I ask pitchers to inscribe the # of home runs they gave up lifetime. It is a fun piece. Most pitchers don't know how many home runs they gave up over their career. Whitey Ford said "Hmm, I thought the number would have been higher." I asked Steve Carlton to inscribe 414 HRs, I even had the number written down on a piece of paper. Carlton inscribed 415 HRs. When he realized his error, he made a mathematical equation subtracting 1 and wrote "Sorry with a sad face". Did he ruin the poster? I don't think so. I think it is awesome!

Last edited by Huck; 12-19-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Recently got some Bench autos from a private signing ... frustrating because I doubt it would pass PSA.
Am I the only one who finds that kind of funny?

I assume you have paperwork from the private signing, how could they NOT pass it?

And if it's possible that they wouldn't, well... that's kind of a commentary on the whole opinion selling business, isn't it?

Doug "I doubt I would pass either" Goodman