NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 11-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Rob

Very nice. Those leader cards are under appreciated, and I especially love the 83/84s, great pick-up.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:00 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Very happy with this pickup.....
Beautiful shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vaschon - Front.jpg (81.2 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg Vaschon - Back.jpg (74.9 KB, 604 views)
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 11-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Rob

That is just beautiful. One of my favorite food/oddball issues, and yeah, that Gretz is in great condition. Congrats.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:52 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
That is just beautiful. One of my favorite food/oddball issues, and yeah, that Gretz is in great condition. Congrats.
thanks, this a really nice set, probably tough to find all the singles. Are there any other key cards other than Gretzky?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 11-15-2020, 08:10 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
thanks, this a really nice set, probably tough to find all the singles. Are there any other key cards other than Gretzky?
Well, obviously KURRI! is the key card in the set But there really aren't any RCs of note or anything, just stars like the other Oilers Mess, Fuhr, Coffey, and then Lafleur, Hawerchuk, maybe a couple of others. 1983 wasn't even big RC year for the regular OPC set, so there isn't something like that. I haven't followed it recently enough to remember if there are some unusually tough ones to find.

Last edited by Kurri17; 11-15-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Peirce Conboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'm not familiar with these cards at all so I am not questioning your knowledge, but what, in your opinion, leads you to believe it is fake?
Both cards exhibit the same front print marks so "my guess" is just the scans are making it look different/unauthentic to you?
Here are a few examples:

https://imgur.com/a/rC99EUW

The first time I looked at the card I saw the print bubbles match up and assumed it was real. But because the seller also sold a fake mantle, baseball card and Roger Staubach, I decided to take a closer look.

You can see a huge difference in the top left corner, a medium difference in the bottom left corner, and a substantial difference in the centering of the bottom right corner.

The seller appears to be buying 3rd party cases, printing his own PSA labels and putting in lower quality (probably real) cards.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:17 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Very happy with this pickup.....
Beautiful shape.
Nice card.

Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgconboy View Post
Here are a few examples:

https://imgur.com/a/rC99EUW

The first time I looked at the card I saw the print bubbles match up and assumed it was real. But because the seller also sold a fake mantle, baseball card and Roger Staubach, I decided to take a closer look.

You can see a huge difference in the top left corner, a medium difference in the bottom left corner, and a substantial difference in the centering of the bottom right corner.

The seller appears to be buying 3rd party cases, printing his own PSA labels and putting in lower quality (probably real) cards.
Good eye and detective work. Definitely a fake/different card than what was once associated with the cert #.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Gordo
Grabbed myself a Gordo as well.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Very nice.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-20-2020, 11:41 AM

Not really a new acquisition. But I have been working on this set for about 7 years. The last piece of the puzzle arrived today.I was so pleased yo fill that last spot in my binder.It is a small set,only 70 cards.It is a how to set with a few cards from many different sports. And as you can see, being a Canadian release it is a bit hockey heavy as compared to many of the other sports involved in the set. These were a hand cut set of cards. So perfect cards are not all that plentiful. But I can say with certainty that I was pleased to fill that last hole in my binder today. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:08 AM
Anson

I don't buy much in the way of boxes or packs. But I always buy a box of new UD to get the latest Sharks cards. I saw a box of Clear Cut on sale and decided to pick it up as well. I thought it was similar to UD Ice and didn't realize you only get one card. Oh well, I'm not complaining.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:09 AM
Anson

Attached Images
File Type: jpg orr.jpg (66.2 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 11-26-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:42 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Very nice, Anson!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

A recent arrival, and I'm glad to report that this Young Guns card of Ty Dellandrea doesn't have any of the issues that many of the new Young Guns cards, and others, currently have with rounded/damaged corners.
(Big thread about it) https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1400635&page=8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ty Dellandrea 20 21 Young Guns RC.jpg (71.8 KB, 494 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 06:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

I forgot to add this one earlier. Not as centered as I thought as the pic/scan was somewhat on an angle from the seller (intentional?) but I guess for the price I paid, I shouldn't be all that disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doug Gilmour 84 OPC RC.jpg (80.6 KB, 499 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I forgot to add this one earlier. Not as centered as I thought as the pic/scan was somewhat on an angle from the seller (intentional?) but I guess for the price I paid, I shouldn't be all that disappointed.
I love 80s hockey cards. Even the commons resonate with me.

This Gilmour (obviously not a common) is no different.

As for the angle, it's probable the seller did this intentionally. In the future, try asking the seller for a straight on picture. I've done it before. Most honest sellers have zero problem doing this. I also request images of the back, if none were provided in the listing.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 11-30-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:32 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I love 80s hockey cards. Even the commons resonate with me.

This Gilmour (obviously not a common) is no different.

As for the angle, it's probable the seller did this intentionally. In the future, try asking the seller for a straight on picture. I've done it before. Most honest sellers have zero problem doing this. I also request images of the back, if none were provided in the listing.
Yeah, you're right, I should have. I thought it might be a bit OC but I didn't anticipate the tilt/lean. I will know better next time.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This just in:

The scan is crap; the card looks much cleaner in hand. I think I need to clean my scanner bed.

Or not...
Old 12-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, I should have. I thought it might be a bit OC but I didn't anticipate the tilt/lean. I will know better next time.
its a sweet card, and I echo the love for 80s hockey...

If a seller is not providing a straight-on pic of the front and back, i usually don't waste my time. I might politely ask for additional pics, but it seems like something so simple and obvious that i assume they are hiding something. Even if i were selling something for the first time, it would be pretty easy to determine this as convention for how to sell a card.

Monster #236
Old 12-01-2020, 04:44 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
its a sweet card, and I echo the love for 80s hockey...

If a seller is not providing a straight-on pic of the front and back, i usually don't waste my time. I might politely ask for additional pics, but it seems like something so simple and obvious that i assume they are hiding something. Even if i were selling something for the first time, it would be pretty easy to determine this as convention for how to sell a card.
I agree as I remember questioning that myself, but I remember thinking at the time, since it was recently graded/slabbed and for only $28 CDN, I thought that was a pretty good deal.
I know if I owned this card myself I wouldn't have sent it in, but knowing what grading from PSA costs, plus the exchange rate, shipping fees, etc, I figured I am basically just paying for the slab. At least that's how I looked at it at the time, plus I knew it was a legit copy as well.

Last edited by irv; 12-01-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

Another 2 new arrivals today.

This Bobby Orr, Sher-Brook promotional Photo, that is 6X9, was listed from the seller as being from the 70's. Is that true, that this card was used/handed out more than 1 year in the 70's or does it have a more specific/single date of issue?

And my first, and future HOF'r, Jumbo Joe Thornton UD RC (96/97)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:10 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card show pick-up today
Larry
Old 12-29-2020, 06:32 PM
Evan

Back in hand from PSA and finally got around to scanning it. Still can't believe it graded an 8. I've never been so ok with getting an email asking for $1000 (from PSA for the higher valuation grading fee).

Old 12-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles93 View Post
Back in hand from PSA and finally got around to scanning it. Still can't believe it graded an 8. I've never been so ok with getting an email asking for $1000 (from PSA for the higher valuation grading fee).
that is awesome.. hopefully i will know that feeling someday.

Monster #236
Old 12-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Or not...
Old 01-01-2021, 03:11 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

$1,000 to slab this one card? I'm so out of touch with this hobby. What does this card sell for PSA 8?
Larry

Quote:
Old 01-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
$1,000 to slab this one card? I'm so out of touch with this hobby. What does this card sell for PSA 8?
Larry
Last one sold at $28k on ebay. A few sold $20-22k a few months ago. Basically any card with a declared value between $10k and $25k after grading is $1000 to grade.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:43 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks Evan and it's a beautiful card.
Larry

Quote:
Last one sold at $28k on ebay. A few sold $20-22k a few months ago. Basically any card with a declared value between $10k and $25k after grading is $1000 to grade.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:14 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Default Alcindor/Jabbar Team Issue

Pretty stoked to find a couple of Alcindor/Jabbar team issue cards. I can honestly say I have never seen any examples these. According to the seller they were sent to collectors who wrote a letter to the team. I would be curious if anyone else has any knowledge of these cards. If you do please share.

The Alcindor card the seller said was from 69 and and Jabbar card from 72. He called them publicity cards and they have been his collection ever since he received them. Would love to find out more about them. Anyway pretty cool action shots of one the the all-time NBA greats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Alcindor Publicity Card.jpg (73.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg 1972 Jabbar Publicity Card.jpg (77.4 KB, 367 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 09:54 PM

Default A Redemption Saga

Back in 2012 I purchased a box of 2012-13 Totally Certified Basketball. To my surprise I pulled one of the best cards.

I quickly submitted my redemption. Couldn't wait to get my prize, but a few years passed and nothing happened. After numerous attempts to contact someone about my situation, I was told it wasn't happening. I requested a replacement repeatedly. Finally a rep told me they would send what they had. I figured something would be better than NOTHING.

They sent me the card, but it was never completed... so it didn't work. What made it worse was the fingernail imprint on the start button, indicating that someone was trying to turn the card on.

I gave up on them. Fast forward to the day before yesterday, 1/13/21. I receive an email that my card was on the way. HOLY SMOKE! Could this be true? I went to the Panini website after an absence of many years. It was true...

They were Fedexing it overnight! Unbelieveable! I should have known better... high hopes crashed. Received this... A Kobe Bryant Redemption Pack!

So I opened the pack... All cards are Prizm.
Jae Crowder, Snakeskin Purple #23/24; Nicholas Batum, Snakeskin Purple #24/24; Cameron Johnson, Snakeskin Purple RC #24/24;Kyrie Irving, Snakeskin Purple & Gold #5/20; Rui Hachimura, Snakeskin Purple & Gold RC #8/20; Kobe Bryant, Gold #1/8. It's finally over... 8+ years.🤯

THE END
Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

These redemptions are so messed up. I hate them. But at least you got something extra out of it.

I had an email this week from Topps. Apparently, I was owed another baseball card from the 2020 Dodgers Topps Now post-season set I purchased. I guess they finally got around to it...in 2021.

Oh, I almost forgot this:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-17-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

It is said this is the very first Jordan card issued.

It sells for about 10 percent of an 86 Fleer in the same grade. Makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan84ck.jpg (74.6 KB, 360 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-17-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:40 PM
Jeff

Felt like bustin' open some old school packs, chose a 1992-93 Upper Deck High Series Box to crack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (75.4 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1.jpg (72.8 KB, 314 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 02-27-2021, 12:37 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

My Vachon , post 762, got a 9!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48313082-6AF5-4472-B82B-391D14CDA821.jpg (15.4 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 76DC87F9-E073-4ED7-8A1D-DCF6CAD93F89.jpg (14.1 KB, 277 views)

Monster #236
Old 03-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Jeff

Here's a sweet RC of Future Hall Of Famer Dwight Howard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004 Topps #221 Dwight Howard BGS 9.5.jpg (78.0 KB, 257 views)

Old 03-14-2021, 02:01 PM

Figured I'd pick one up while they're still affordable:

Old 03-16-2021, 03:52 PM
Jeff

Nice LeBron! Picked up another Dwight Howard card, the "Limited" version of his 2004 SP Authentic Rookie Card and this one is serial numbered out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004 SP Authentic Limited #186 Dwight Howard BGS 9.5.jpg (80.0 KB, 223 views)

Old 03-18-2021, 12:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A few 1975s for me:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-18-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:06 AM
Jeff

Another Future Hall of Famer in the mix, wonder if he'll go in with his brother?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 Topps Chrome #212 Marc Gasol BGS 9.5.jpg (78.4 KB, 195 views)

Old 03-20-2021, 06:25 PM
David M.

I just found a wax box of 1989 Fleer at a local pawn shop. It was a complete box, but they had sold 4 packs out of the box before I got it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Do you think I should get the packs graded? Sell the packs raw? Maybe even open them myself and get the stars graded? What do you think?

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 03-21-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Another HOF RC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucas.jpg (73.9 KB, 183 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:21 AM
Jeff

Nicely centered Reggie RC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1988-89 Fleer #57 Reggie Miller RC BGS 8.5.jpg (79.9 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by jb217676; 03-21-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:45 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I just found a wax box of 1989 Fleer at a local pawn shop. It was a complete box, but they had sold 4 packs out of the box before I got it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Do you think I should get the packs graded? Sell the packs raw? Maybe even open them myself and get the stars graded? What do you think?
Sell the packs here. Look first to see if any have Jordans on top, although my guess is those are the packs they "sold".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2021, 03:41 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Sell the packs here. Look first to see if any have Jordans on top, although my guess is those are the packs they "sold".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You may be right, I'll have to look. I watched a pack break on Youtube of this same box and was tempted to open them, but I know the odds of getting a PSA10 on anything you submit is one in a million.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:59 PM
Jeff

A little boost to the Hoops Collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1994 Topps Stadium Club #195 Grant Hill PSA 10.jpg (80.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 1994 Upper Deck SE Jason Kidd PSA 10.jpg (78.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 1996 Bowmans Best Retro #TB13 Allen Iverson.jpg (83.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Gasol.jpg (81.1 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by jb217676; 03-25-2021 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:16 PM
Eric Pugh

Default Spahn

Spahn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4532C422-D752-4EE4-96E4-FD84029DD6C9.jpg (9.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

I had some before, but since I've now completed the run (such as it is) of Star Bird and Magic base cards I'll just post them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird83.jpg (77.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg bird84.jpg (77.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg bird85.jpg (76.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg magic83.jpg (76.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg magic84.jpg (76.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg magic85.jpg (77.1 KB, 143 views)

Old 03-27-2021, 11:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not new but finally scanned

Or not...
Old 03-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Jason B.

Default PSA apparently still working!

Peter -- You know I'm a big fan of the Magic/Bird run you've put together there -- Outstanding.

Sent in several Subs of Vintage-to-90's raw Basketball to PSA in June-August. The first of it came back, and was kind of a funny mix of stuff.
Some solid-to-great 86F results, and then some one-offs.
I must have bought one single pack of '96 Chrome and '02 Chrome back in the day, only to find these in a box years later.

Most excited for the next few lots coming back from PSA though, with a ton of Vintage basketball in there from '61F to the early 70's. But this was fun, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B_92002.jpg (82.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg B_97002.jpg (79.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg B_200203.jpg (77.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg B_86002.jpg (79.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg B_86010.jpg (80.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg B_86021.jpg (80.6 KB, 94 views)
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 04-01-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Jeff

A few more showed up this week...