NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Introducing new addition to M116 Sporting Life checklist...Frank Smith, BOSTON AL

Thought I would share a new addition (as far as I can tell) to the M116 Sporting Life checklist: Frank Smith, Boston AL variation. Not long ago I came across this card, shown on the right of each of the scans, and have been unable to find any mention of it in any of the checklists for the set, nor does it come up on any internet searches I attempted. It appears that Sporting Life updated the Smith card for the 300 subjects back at some point after Frank was traded mid-season of 1910 to the Red Sox.

As a side note, the T206 set has a Frank Smith card with the funky "Chicago and Boston" identification to indicate, without changing the artwork showing a White Sox uniform, that Smith was now a Red Sox player. Fortunately for the Sporting Life folks, the uniform pictured on the M116 card is pretty plain wrap, so all they had to do was change the caption.

Does anyone else have a Frank Smith Boston card or know of one out there? Or perhaps is a Frank Smith CHICAGO card known with the 300 Subjects back?

Disclosure: If this is a new discovery, down the road I plan on sending it off to auction, as I never anticipate going after a master M116 set.

Would love to hear your comments,

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m116smithf322.jpg (81.2 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg m116smithr323.jpg (77.2 KB, 512 views)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Rob

Brian,

I follow this set somewhat and have a few. I have never seen or heard of this card. Looks like quite a find.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:49 AM

Smith, now joins Bates and Seymour(both also previously unknown until the last few years) as players with team changes in the M116 set, and the well known McConnell and McQuillan.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Introducing new addition to M116 Sporting Life checklist...Frank Smith, BOSTON AL

Congratulations Brian. Nice find!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Robert A

Brian,

Unbelievable find in my eyes! The kind of stuff that keeps me collecting and reading the board. Congrats!! You probably own the rarest M116 along with (as scott mentioned) seymour and bates which I think there are only one example each that I'm aware of. Just incredible.

Rob
Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Wow, quite the find. Congrats!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Danny Smith

That's pretty freakin cool. Congrats.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Michael S

Great find. This is what makes the hobby fun.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

very cool, where did you find it???
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Barry Arnold

Default great find

wow!!!
this is truly what makes this hobby most exciting!!!
congrats.
all the best,
barry
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Does anyone else have a Frank Smith Boston card or know of one out there?

Would love to hear your comments,

Brian
Wow!!! Brian this is a HUGE find, congratulations! I have the M116 set (at one time a master set before new variation captions came along of Bates and Seymour) and I have never heard of the Boston card. This card is RARE, an oft-overused term used in our hobby but fitting in this case. I believe it could very well be one of a kind.
The M116 set is so underrated, undervalued and underappreciated. This Find may jump start some collectors beginning to look through Smith cards for a Boston variation.
I'm jealous, but happy for you Brian.
tbob
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Thanks all around, and even to my regular damaged Frank Smith card

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I was just as surprised when I received this card in a small group of M116 cards from dbay (the diminished capacity version of this fast sinking internet marketplace). The other cards in the lot were the ones I was interested in, as I already had a 'F. Smith' card in my collection. Fortunately, I owned this regular F. Smith White Sox card, which is how I discovered the team change while comparing the two. If I hadn't already owned the regular F. Smith card, this variation card undoubtably would have slipped my notice and sunk itself into my collection. Just like it was hiding in plain sight in the lot listing that obviously no one else spotted either.

Of all the 'major' pre-war sets, I believe the M116 set is the one that new additions are most likely to occur. I suggest that everyone check their '300 Subject' backs for team variations...who knows, maybe someone else will get lucky and spot another similiar variation card. I would like to personally thank my regular Frank Smith with the paper loss on the front...thanks for being there for me buddy!

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-06-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added an 'ed' for educational purposes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Robert A

While collecting this set, I often had many dupes and would compare them. For some reason this never happened!

Thanks for sharing it with the community.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Well spotted Brian!

I'm pleased to see it, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy--

My own small achievement in this event is to predict it, sort of.... at the end of my Old Cardboard article on the set, where I commented on three team variations that are listed in the Sporting Life ads but have never been discovered.

I asked "Is it possible that not a single copy survived? Or more likely, are there a few lodged deep in the collections of longtime hobbyists who have never noticed small discrepancies on one or two of their commons?"

I should have added, "or are there even more undiscovered team variations in mixed lots on ebay?"

I'm fairly certain that there are more to come, maybe very soon!

Tim

Last edited by timn1; 07-09-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Robert A

Maybe very soon? Hmm....
Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Josh

Congrats on the find, I would love to make a discovery like that! I wish there was a way to go through the old basements and attics of every old house of every Grandparent/great grandparent/older person that I know haha. You always here about those incredible finds and it always sparks your imagination of possible places to go looking. Again, awesome find Brian, im jealous!

Josh B.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Update

An update on the M116 Sporting Life Frank Smith, Boston card...the M116 checklist on the Old Cardboard website has been updated to include this card, and Lyman H. has a nice write-up about the discovery in their E-Newsletter (I suggest you check out their site and sign up for the newsletter if you haven't already done so).

Thanks again for all your help in helping me determine that this card was indeed a new discovery. To put it mildly, this was a thoroughly enjoyable surprise, but this card is just too big for me (the Smith Boston variation now ranks at the top of the M116 scarcity heap) so it will be in the upcoming REA auction in October.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-30-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Congratulations, pretty impressive!Dave.