NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2020, 02:19 PM
Steve

Default 1950's Cards - Why are so many get high grades when they are "Tattered" - Pic Include

I see a Ton of 1950's Cards that are "Tattered" on at least one side.

It seems like this is a 50's thing as I rarely see it in Cards from other Decades.

But my question is why do they grade so high?

I mean it looks terrible and I would never buy one.

But I see people paying big money for PSA 9 Tattered Cards.

To me I don't think they should grade higher than a 2-3.

I mean it is Clearly NOT a Mint Card.

Here is an example I found on ebay of a 1953 Topps Bob Feller.

Seller Claims it is Near Mint (What !!!!!!)

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 03-31-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:36 PM
Richard L.

I find it to be an attractive card. The "rough cut" doesn't bother me one bit. And less likely to be trimmed! I assume you are new to vintage collecting?
Old 03-31-2020, 02:39 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
I find it to be an attractive card. The "rough cut" doesn't bother me one bit. And less likely to be trimmed! I assume you are new to vintage collecting?
Not new new.

I have dabbled in it on and off for a couple decades but I like T206 and Older stuff more so I don't do much with 1950's stuff.

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 03-31-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:42 PM
Steve

How can they get a PSA Mint 9 Grade when the Edges are not Razor Sharp?

If I look at a PSA 9 from any other Decade it will be Razor Sharp but I see a ton of PSA 9 Tattered 1950's Cards.

Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 03-31-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by that T206 Guy View Post
How can they get a PSA Mint 9 Grade when the Edges are not Razor Sharp?

If I look at a PSA 9 from any other Decade it will be Razor Sharp but I see a ton of PSA 9 Tattered 1950's Cards.

Makes no sense to me.
Some cards had rough factory cuts. I like them...
Old 03-31-2020, 03:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Unfortunately the collector must even beware of rough cuts. The card doctors (especially Moser) can replicate these rough cut edges to a tee, and PSA passes them routinely with numerical grades.

Educate yourself, and be careful.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:57 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It's because the cards were cut with wires instead of long blades during many of those year (and especially on OPC). They are referred to as "rough cuts" and are how the cards come straight out of the packs. If the edges are smooth on many of those sets, you can assume that they've been tampered with or "sheet cut."

Although you don't like them, the fact that those are natural to the issue allows them to achieve high grades. And until it was shown that card doctors can also trim cards to look "rough cut", they were thought to be a sign the card wasn't trimmed. But you can see on the Blowout forums that many sets with rough cuts were trimmed and then re-roughed up in order to make the look natural. One the sets this was done to and detected on is the 1952 Topps Look-N-See set.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:38 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes they did. Even the 1979 OPC Ozzie Smith RC is found rough cut about half the time. That doesn't bother most collectors, but centering does bother a lot of them.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Every Duke Snider rookie card has a rough cut on it's left side. This is because he was printed on the left-most edge of the 36-card
sheet. The point is that certain cards were factory cut as such. Just like the right side of the 1953 TOPPS Feller which you posted.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 03-31-2020 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Doesn't matter how they came from the factory.

They are still NOT Mint.

I mean if somebody dropped the cards at the factory and they got dinged PSA are going to grade them accordingly. They are not going to say well its Mint besides the ding but that happened at the factory so we will grade it a 9.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:29 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
Yes they did. Even the 1979 OPC Ozzie Smith RC is found rough cut about half the time. That doesn't bother most collectors, but centering does bother a lot of them.
I don't see how that doesn't bother people.

If I had a card like that it would drive me nuts.

Centering is the most important thing to me unless the picture is out of focus or fadded or something major like that.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:30 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It's because the cards were cut with wires instead of long blades during many of those year (and especially on OPC). They are referred to as "rough cuts" and are how the cards come straight out of the packs. If the edges are smooth on many of those sets, you can assume that they've been tampered with or "sheet cut."

Although you don't like them, the fact that those are natural to the issue allows them to achieve high grades. And until it was shown that card doctors can also trim cards to look "rough cut", they were thought to be a sign the card wasn't trimmed. But you can see on the Blowout forums that many sets with rough cuts were trimmed and then re-roughed up in order to make the look natural. One the sets this was done to and detected on is the 1952 Topps Look-N-See set.
If they were cut differently why do they normally have 3 sharp sides and 1 rough one. Shouldn't they be all straight or all rough.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Default Seems a double standard to me ?

Sorry i would agree with Steve on this one ? People get SO BENT out of shape for a OC card , that , also , come out of the packs looking like that ? So, to say that"s the way they come out , to , me holds NO WATER ....then for a rough cut card , but we take off for a OC card. But not for rough cut card ? I do take off for any rough cut card , including O-Pee- Chee cards & I'v seen them rough cut on ALL 4 sides ?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:35 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Every Duke Snider rookie card has a rough cut on it's left side. This is because he was printed on the left-most edge of the 36-card
sheet. The point is that certain cards were factory cut as such. Just like the right side of the 1953 TOPPS Feller which you posted.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Well if they are all supposed to be the same (for that player) then why do I see Graded Fellers with and without that Rough Edge?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:37 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Sorry i would agree with Steve on this one ? People get SO BENT out of shape for a OC card , that , also , come out of the packs looking like that ? So, to say that"s the way they come out , to , me holds NO WATER ....then for a rough cut card , but we take off for a OC card. But not for rough cut card ? I do take off for any rough cut card , including O-Pee- Chee cards & I'v seen them rough cut on ALL 4 sides ?
That is True.

Also, it cheapens the value of a PSA 9 that is sharp.

So you have two cards with the same grade that are not the same.

Maybe they should add a qualifier like they do with OC Cards?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I don't see how that doesn't bother people.

If I had a card like that it would drive me nuts.

Centering is the most important thing to me unless the picture is out of focus or fadded or something major like that.
I like them, but that is also what I am use to, as that's the way they were when I was young and collected OPC hockey cards.

What's your thoughts on deckle edge cards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobby Orr 70 71 OPC.jpg (57.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Bobby Orr 1970 Deckle edge.jpg (55.2 KB, 193 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Interesting conversation. Objectively the statement is accurate - off centered cuts, print marks and potentially other "original factory issues" are that while the grading companies penalize for all but the rough cut. Interesting point. I guess brings us back to the old adage - buy the card not the holder - If you like the factory defect - whatever it is - great buy it - if not - don't. Remember 3rd party grading at the end of the day is only "an opinion" - you are entitled to your own.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Well if they are all supposed to be the same (for that player) then why do I see Graded Fellers with and without that Rough Edge?
Perhaps you’re giving way too much credit to the viability of the TPGs. There are more discrepancies within their grading systems than you can count on both hands.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:02 AM

Feller was double printed on the sheet, thus two card positions, one presumably with the common rough cut edge, the other without.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Mike

I love the rough cut on some 1950's cards. I'd actually put a premium on it.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecow View Post
I love the rough cut on some 1950's cards. I'd actually put a premium on it.
In many cases--like the Feller above, I would, too.
Rough cuts are like redheads...some people just don't dig 'em.
Others can't get enough of 'em.
Most collectors have no gray area with rough cuts.