NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Auction excitement (for some)

I see the usual posts and usual excitement about auctions opening. Yes, before long we will be talking about the familiar thud of the catalog hitting the ground and luxurious smell. But things are different when the mailman is wearing a face mask and you are wiping down the box with clorox wipes before opening. I understand people reaching of for stuff to do for some semblance of normalcy, but personally I'm just not feeling it right now. Maybe because my town in Jersey has more corona case that 25 states do in their entirety, but collecting doesn't seem at all important right now.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 AM
Howard Chasser

Default A thought

I understand Steve. I'm in Long Island NY just 30-40 minutes outside NYC - corona central.
Making prudent decisions and practicing social distancing - things I can control.
I find it helpful to involve myself in my hobby for blocks of time. I find it relaxing and an awesome distraction that I can happily immerse myself in.
Still much that is unknown - but I know I can find people and things to appreciate and enjoy today - It is the only time that is a guarantee.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM
pete ullman

I feel ya, Steve. My sister in manhattan has corona...my mom in bergen county lives in assisted living...they have their first positively tested resident this week.

I listen to the misery in the news like 14 hours a day...every so often putting on music to give myself a break.

Things will never be the same...and baseball cards arent as meaningful to me as they once were...but please let me bid now dammit!!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:53 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I guess just mostly disappointed that I'm having a hard time finding my usual distraction a good distraction these days. But I'm trying.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is a lot of misery going on in our society. Hopefully our hobby and the forum can distract us for a few minutes. I am looking at doing a few projects I have needed to do (cleaning out old boxes of stuff!!)

Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've found the LESS media I take in, the better I am. I try to keep the TV OFF and white noise to a minimum. I search for virus updates once or twice a day just to see what's happening. I also have a 4 year old at home who cant go to the park, library, or even a friends house, and he asks everyday. I'm hoping this goes away faster than it came, and we can find a new normal. In the meantime, cards are a consolation, as well as family and friends.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I see the usual posts and usual excitement about auctions opening. Yes, before long we will be talking about the familiar thud of the catalog hitting the ground and luxurious smell. But things are different when the mailman is wearing a face mask and you are wiping down the box with clorox wipes before opening. I understand people reaching of for stuff to do for some semblance of normalcy, but personally I'm just not feeling it right now. Maybe because my town in Jersey has more corona case that 25 states do in their entirety, but collecting doesn't seem at all important right now.
Stay safe Steve. The unimportant stuff will still be there, the important thing is to make sure as many people as possible are too.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I guess just mostly disappointed that I'm having a hard time finding my usual distraction a good distraction these days. But I'm trying.
Steve, sorry to hear this. I definitely hear you, and it can all get pretty overwhelming. But I agree with others, there's not much one can do besides social distancing, and it is better for my anxiety to tune out and read other things. Cards are exactly what I need right now. I ordered a bunch of boxes of 80s-90s wax off eBay just to rip something open. Very therapeutic!
Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Relaxing with the new George Gibson book!

Looking forward to the start of the REA auction, and I'm enjoying Marty and Richard's new George Gibson book in the meantime!

Patrick
Old 04-03-2020, 10:30 AM

I'm awaiting my REA catalog and an escape from the current situation. I actually am looking forward to it more now than ever.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 AM
Bob Davies

I feel for you Steve, and have always enjoyed your posts.
I cannot imagine what it is like in your state and others. Here in Canada we get the double whammy of Canadian counts and US counts on CNN, etc.
As an older guy this is unprecedented. I’m like others here, where I need to turn it off. I didn’t look at anything are wise for a bit but I made a couple of purchases in the last week.
My father, at 87, lives across (thankfully) from a nursing home that’s had 5 deaths and over 60 positive cases. He doesn’t need assisted living yet and has basically stayed in his apartment for three weeks now.
I pray for the folks whose families are impacted directly.
I’m longing for the days of playing golf and hockey again, going to sporting events, and having a beer with friends.
Thankfully this place is a bit of a sanctuary for me and I assume several others. Thanks To all who participate, and I include those whose views I don’t agree with. It helps make the world go round.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 04-03-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks for the positive thoughts. We all soldier on and try to stay positive. Giving into despair doesn't help the cause. Also a good time to reach out and support board members trying to run a business of just friends and family who might be struggling more than you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I feel for you Steve, and have always enjoyed your posts.
I cannot imagine what it is like in your state and others. Here in Canada we get the double whammy of Canadian counts and US counts on CNN, etc.
As an older guy this is unprecedented. I’m like others here, where I need to turn it off. I didn’t look at anything are wise for a bit but I made a couple of purchases in the last week.
My father, at 87, lives across (thankfully) from a nursing home that’s had 5 deaths and over 60 positive cases. He doesn’t need assisted living yet and has basically stayed in his apartment for three weeks now.
I pray for the folks whose families are impacted directly.
I’m longing for the days of playing golf and hockey again, going to sporting events, and having a beer with friends.
Thankfully this place is a bit of a sanctuary for me and I assume several others. Thanks To all who participate, and I include those whose views I don’t agree with. It helps make the world go round.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:57 PM

Default T206 Cobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is a lot of misery going on in our society. Hopefully our hobby and the forum can distract us for a few minutes. I am looking at doing a few projects I have needed to do (cleaning out old boxes of stuff!!)

The registration on that Cobb is awesome!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:36 AM
Leighton

Default I understand

Steve and the rest of the gang-

I live in Northern NJ and my wife works in Manhattan and takes public transportation every day. She stopped working in the city and started working from home for the past 16 days. We have a son, Crosby, who is 5 with a very rare medical condition...we could have to go the hospital with him at any time, day or night (and of course we are petrified of having to do that with everything going on). We took one day at a time before this and are most certainly doing that now. My suggestion is try to do the same if possible and soak it all in...be appreciative for what we have each and every day, every meal, every laugh, every cry and organize your baseball card collection to your hearts content I try to minimize the amount of media I consume daily and make sure I have plenty of baseball card stuff to do!

We should not feel alone or keep our feelings inside. We all have the collecting bug or we wouldn't be part of this community....use this group as a distraction and let's help out other collectors...like if you never owned a T206 card or a 1952 Topps card be the 1st to message me and I'll send you one from my collection...I'm sure you'll pay it forward in the future...give someone a better deal than usual this weekend on a card and brighten their day....make a trade like I used to do when I was 12 all the time and be ok that the other side got the better end of the deal...but most of all try and stay positive because it really helps

Thank you to all the doctors, nurses, and anyone else who is on the front lines of this trying to protect our society.

Leighton
Old 04-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Great advice. Hang in there. Look at the bright side, at least you didn't sink $100 million into the new amusement park at the Meadowlands, which I think was 10 years in the making and open for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Collect View Post

I live in Northern NJ and my wife works in Manhattan and takes public transportation every day. She stopped working in the city and started working from home for the past 16 days. We have a son, Crosby, who is 5 with a very rare medical condition...we could have to go the hospital with him at any time, day or night (and of course we are petrified of having to do that with everything going on). We took one day at a time before this and are most certainly doing that now. My suggestion is try to do the same if possible and soak it all in...be appreciative for what we have each and every day, every meal, every laugh, every cry and organize your baseball card collection to your hearts content I try to minimize the amount of media I consume daily and make sure I have plenty of baseball card stuff to do!

We should not feel alone or keep our feelings inside. We all have the collecting bug or we wouldn't be part of this community....use this group as a distraction and let's help out other collectors...like if you never owned a T206 card or a 1952 Topps card be the 1st to message me and I'll send you one from my collection...I'm sure you'll pay it forward in the future...give someone a better deal than usual this weekend on a card and brighten their day....make a trade like I used to do when I was 12 all the time and be ok that the other side got the better end of the deal...but most of all try and stay positive because it really helps

Thank you to all the doctors, nurses, and anyone else who is on the front lines of this trying to protect our society.

Leighton
Old 04-04-2020, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Positive thoughts always help, Leighton. Thanks for sharing them and being part of the community.
Well wishes your way till we meet again (hopefully soon).

OBC guys gave me this several years back as they knew I loved the card. I still cherish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Collect View Post

Leighton
Old 04-04-2020, 01:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In 1960 Burdick wrote that a card collection is "a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day—brought to life in vivid picture and prose."

if ever we needed a pleasant diversion from daily cares it is now. Do yourself a favor: once a day pull an album and sit quietly looking through it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-05-2020, 12:38 AM
je.sse @rnot

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-05-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Adam- Did one better than that ... bought an obscure exhibits card on eBay yesterday for a whopping $18! Some non baseball Dude I never heard of.

QUOTE=Exhibitman;1967821]In 1960 Burdick wrote that a card collection is "a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day—brought to life in vivid picture and prose."

if ever we needed a pleasant diversion from daily cares it is now. Do yourself a favor: once a day pull an album and sit quietly looking through it.[/QUOTE]