NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-29-2020, 12:48 PM
John Donovan

Default 1952 Bowman Salesman Sample vs Partial Production Sheet

Picked up this partial sheet of uncut 1952 Bowman cards from ebay recently. The seller had them listed as a "salesman sample". And as I did my research, I confirmed that Bowman did use six card panels as salesman samples.

I had a brief exchange with the seller (who was top notch, a good communicator, and I would purchase from again), and I asked if they knew the provenance of the panel, and whether they could confirm it was a salesman sample, or just a partial production sheet. They said they got it in a large vintage purchase with several other uncut six card panels (a couple of them being duplicates) and since it was unlikely they would have duplicate partial production sheets, their best guess was that they were salesman samples.

So my question is do any of you know if there is a way to know if a panel of six uncut 1952 Bowman cards are salesman sample vs just a partial production sheet? Or maybe 1952 salesman samples really are just panels of a production sheet?

Either way it's a cool piece that I'm glad to add to my collection.

Interested to know if any of you have any thoughts or experience with 1952 Bowman salesman samples.

uncut.jpg

Uncutback.jpg
Old 07-29-2020, 01:03 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I know with the 52 topps 1st series, the back has an ad printed. Regardless what people will say

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-29-2020, 02:26 PM
John Donovan

The best info I could find on early Bowman salesman strips were from this Topps Archives blog post:

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2010...les-force.html

There is a similar post regarding early Topps salesman strips (the Topps salesman strips definitely have characteristics unique from production cards).

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2010...p-show_07.html
Old 07-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I know with the 52 topps 1st series, the back has an ad printed. Regardless what people will say
Ted-- are you referring to printed adverting backs versus ad stickers placed over the backs. I have a complete but cut 52 Salesman Sample with a printed back ( Olson/Hansen/Werle)

John-- will ask Dave Hornish, whose blog link you posted above, and Anthony Nex, my go to guy on Salesman Samples, to see if they can offer you any input. Both post here on 54

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-29-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:24 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Bowman did not utilize salesman samples until 1954
There are 53 Bowman strips listed as salesman samples, but they are not.
I can post more later when I’m at a computer, but Bowman issues them in 54-55, Topps ‘52-‘67, and Fleer in 59. Playball backstamped individual cards in ‘39 and those would fit the criteria for salesman samples as well
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ted-- are you referring to printed adverting backs versus ad stickers placed over the backs. I have a complete but cut 52 Salesman Sample with a printed back ( Olson/Hansen/Werle)

John-- will ask Dave Hornish, whose blog link you posted above, and Anthony Nex, my go to guy on Salesman Samples, to see if they can offer you any input. Both post here on 54
Al, I appreciate that, thanks!
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

Hi Al, does your have what looks like a torn address label on the back? I had seen one 3rd series and scoffed at SGC labeling it as a sample. It just looked like a 3 card panel, with the remnants of a label. I have not, or dont remember seeing a first series panel without the ad

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 07-29-2020, 03:44 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Bowman did not utilize salesman samples until 1954
There are 53 Bowman strips listed as salesman samples, but they are not.
I can post more later when I’m at a computer, but Bowman issues them in 54-55, Topps ‘52-‘67, and Fleer in 59. Playball backstamped individual cards in ‘39 and those would fit the criteria for salesman samples as well
Anthony, that's interesting info. Thank you.

So, are you saying that the six card 1952 Bowman panel that accompanied the salesman letter in the Topps Archives blog post (linked above) is likely indistinguishable from a cut production sheet...because those samples likely WERE cut from production sheets?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:52 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Now I seem to remember in an auction years ago that had some single cards with 3 parts of stickers on them, as well as OPC. I was skeptical as I had never seen those, since or before that auction

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2020, 08:09 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Three card Topps and Bowman strips have been around for a long time. I recall seeing them in the early 80's in bigger shops and at shows. Their true origin is not necessarily known, some may have been cut to use a promos other possibly after the fact from sheets. I have several now, including a 53 Bowman color. But the pre-54 Bowman's would almost certainly cut from production sheets when used as sales tools.

Topps were promotional geniuses-their sales and PR groups were constantly coming up with gimmicks, contests and incentives far beyond anything Bowman was doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947ToppsNYCParadePromo-Sept.1947.jpg (44.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Toppsc.1940PromoAdSheetFront-Shep.jpg (76.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg jamboree.jpg (76.9 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 07-30-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:57 AM
Anthøny N. ex

In my opinion, in order to be a salesman sample, the material must contain ad copy. Any product without ad copy is just a product sample, but not intended to be used as a sales piece- that is just incidental. As you'll see below, all salesman samples contain copy directed at retailers, touting sales

The first usage of product as a collateral sales piece by Bowman was in 1954. Prior to that they used regular product with an accompanying letter.

They continued this practice in 1955

They didn't issue them in '53 or before, although 3 card panels are found on occasion. As these follow the common format (most, but not all, salesman samples issued by Topps and Bowman were 3 card panels) they are occasionally called salesman samples, but there is no evidence they were used as that and contain no ad copy. One dealer told me he thought they were salesman samples because the cards contained were in sequential order, but that is how '53 Bowman was printed, as evidenced by the full sheet below

Topps first issued salesman samples as a sales tool in 1952

Topps continued to issue baseball salesman samples thru 1967.
For the most part these were 3 card panels, but 4 card panels were created in 1956 to go along with a 3 card panel.

In 1960 Topps issued a 3 card panel along with a 8 card panel that contained salescopy on card stock. But this wasn't a regular sample with ad copy, it was blank backed and I would consider it a point of purchase (POP in the ad business) display. It announces the arrival of the new series of cards, but nothing about sales and was directed at the consumer, not the retailer.

A similar POP display was issued in '62.

In 1955 Topps issued a salesman sample with an attached '55 Doubleheader. They are often found with the Doubleheader removed, but all originally had them

A serious run up in prices on salesman samples occurred around '11-'15, as several collectors were trying to put a complete run of these together. Prices have dropped back down considerably, aided by a few finds flooding the market, most notably with '54 and '66 samples. During this time any 3 card panel was called a salesman sample in an attempt to realize a high price. I consigned a '49 Leaf boxing 3 card panel to an auction house as an uncut strip- they instead called it a salesman sample with no evidence as such and refused to correct the copy. '53 Bowman and other 3 card strips continue to be identified as salesman samples on ebay when they were in fact not ever used or issued as such.

Topps issued salesman samples for their football cards as well, I suspect (but do not have evidence of) those paralleled the years issued for baseball.

Fleer issued salesman samples for their '59 Ted Williams set, and a non sport set created that year (can't recall which one, Stooges maybe?) but I have never seen one for other years. '60 Fleer baseball 3 card strips are very common, and I've got a '63 Fleer 3 card strip (2 full sets of 3 card strips were offered by H&S a few years ago) but none of these, while having fully printed backs, have any ad copy; they are just regular uncut strips.

Here's a small image of each year (minus '53 which I don't own, but is similar to '52 and '54) of Topps salesman samples. As you can see Topps began with stickers over the product (as did Bowman both years) and got a lot more sophisticated on back printing later in the run.

Last edited by Griffins; 08-01-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: image formatting
Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Last edited by Griffins; 07-30-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:59 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Last edited by Griffins; 07-30-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:38 AM
Al Richter

Great stuff Anthony. I am trying to play catch up on these. Just doing Topps but still need a couple. Thanks for posting all that

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-30-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:30 AM
John Donovan

Dave and Anthony, this is exactly the info I was interested in. Thanks for your insights and helping clarify some information around the early 50's salesman samples (and for providing cool scans).

I really appreciate it!
Old 07-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default A couple more

Here are a few more. One Bowman one Topps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bowman saleman panel 2.jpg (71.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Bowman saleman panel 3.jpg (75.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 54TADfront0001.jpg (78.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 54tADBcck.jpg (83.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Very nice Fred!
Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 AM
Jeff

Great stuff guys!

I have two '52 Topps cut from a panel (), Al Rosen and Johnny Bucha - any idea who the other player was on the panel?

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-30-2020, 11:50 AM
Anthøny N. ex

It should follow the standard sheet printing. Dave do you have a scan of the sheet with Rosen?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
It should follow the standard sheet printing. Dave do you have a scan of the sheet with Rosen?
I don't, although I have others from the first series on partials. Just not his row. I think they were all taken from press sheets or at least final proofs. Those partial sheets in the famous 1952 Woolwoorth's picture must have come from the same setup as well.

I am surprised you didn't show the mixed breed 55 Bowman samples:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55b ss front mixed.jpg (17.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 55b ss front mixed 2.jpg (16.8 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 07-30-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:32 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I left a lot out, figured I’d bogarted the thread enough
Old 07-30-2020, 03:06 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post

I am surprised you didn't show the mixed breed 55 Bowman samples:
Woah...do those upside down TV's have lighter color wood? That's super interesting. My guess is that those were just prototypes?
Old 07-30-2020, 03:50 PM
Anthøny N. ex

no, Bowman changed color wood from lighter to darker in the series. The salesman sample Dave posted (which is one of mine) bridges both series.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Great stuff guys!

I have two '52 Topps cut from a panel (), Al Rosen and Johnny Bucha - any idea who the other player was on the panel?

Jeff
Is the back the ad for "giant sized cards" gray and green?

I'm still.looking for a left side I believe as my 2 have also been cut!

Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 PM
Val Kehl

Pete Runnels was my favorite player when I was a kid. I have one Topps salesman's sample with Runnels on it for the 1957 cards. I would love to acquire another salesman's sample, Topps or Bowman, which includes Runnels. Does anyone know of any others that exist?

My only other salesman's sample is for Topps 1965 cards, which I'd be willing to part with in a deal for one with Runnels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957T & 1965T Ad Panels - fronts.jpg (72.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1957T &1965T Ad Panels - backs.jpg (72.2 KB, 94 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.