NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Andrew

Default Fake or real?

Hi all - today I received these 3 cards from an eBay seller.

I'm 99% sure the '68 is a fake - the focus isn't sharp, and under magnification the print pattern is blurred and barely visible rather than sharp. Red flag #2 is the back, which has faint print dots where a blank cardboard background should be, behind the name/info at the top and the cartoon at the bottom. And then when I went to take a photo with my iPad for this post, the telltale cracking effect became visible. It doesn't really show up in the version below because of file size limits, but it's definitely there.

I'm therefore suspicious of the '64 and the '65, of course, but I can't seem to find any obvious signs, even under magnification. The print patterns look like others in my collection, and the backs are blank where they should be. No cracking effect in the iPad photos, and the dot pattern on the surface looks similar to others. Are there other signs I'm missing, or maybe there are fakes that are better done than the '68?

The Mays does have some offset in the printing that is visible in the white outside the lines of the W and M in his name on the back, and under magnification, each letter in his name/position has a pink outline under it and a blue one above it.

Any input is appreciated, as always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001 (1).jpg (43.6 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 (1).jpg (53.7 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003 (1).jpg (43.7 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004 (1).jpg (59.0 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005 (1).jpg (38.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006 (1).jpg (47.0 KB, 356 views)

Last edited by ASF123; 12-27-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:05 PM
J@mes In.gram

The 68 Mantle is unquestionably fake; aside from your comments, the front "circle" text is blurred, and the red "Mantle" has bled, both should be crisp even if his photo is kind of blurry or slightly out of focus, which is pretty common.

The 65 Mays and 64 Mantle, I can't tell from afar. If fake, and I assume they are, they are well done. Eveything looks pretty much right from the photos. The key is the backs and what they feel like. Should feel like old cardboard with printing on it. Not smooth, and no gloss.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:55 PM
St@n Go.len

The Mays doesn't have much border, be sure to measure it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2020, 07:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Straightened the pics out...

IMG_0001 (1).jpgIMG_0002 (1).jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Card is super narrow, so if it measures 2.5" wide, you know it's a counterfeit that was printed with the wrong resolution.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

68 is definitely fake, but if the other 2 are I can't tell from the photos and are well done
Old 12-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Card is super narrow, so if it measures 2.5" wide, you know it's a counterfeit that was printed with the wrong resolution.
Which card do you mean? The '68 Mantle is indeed just a tiny bit narrow, but the other two are dead on with other cards from my collection. I don't see any distortions in the images on those that would result from "resizing."

The backs of the Mays and the '64 Mantle feel fine to me - no glossiness or unnatural smoothness as far as I can tell, but I don't have any experience in these things. The '68 Mantle maybe does feel a little oddly smooth by comparison, but that could very well be just the power of suggestion.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:52 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If the card measures short, then what I'm saying won't work. But if it measured as full, you would know it's counterfeit because there isn't enough border for a 2.5" wide card.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:18 PM
Andrew

Quote:
If the card measures short, then what I'm saying won't work. But if it measured as full, you would know it's counterfeit because there isn't enough border for a 2.5" wide card.
Which card(s) are you referring to? The Mays and the 64 Mantle don't look like they have too little border space to me (in person, maybe the photos above look different). The Mantle is off center, of course, but not suspiciously so. Are you seeing something I'm missing?

Last edited by ASF123; 12-27-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Which card(s) are you referring to? The Mays and the 64 Mantle don't look like they have too little border space to me (in person, maybe the photos above look different). The Mantle is off center, of course, but not suspiciously so. Are you seeing something I'm missing?
Don't overthink it. Simply measure the Mantle card and post it here. If it comes out as 2.5" wide, then it's a fraud (because a real card that is 2.5" wide would have more 'burlap' on the sides than the Mick does). If it's shorter than 2.5" (and possibly trimmed) then the jury is still out, because it can't be conclusively proven whether or not it's real from that fact alone.

Another way (probably?) would be to measure the Mantle card's active area (from the black line on the left across to the black line on the right). Then measure that same distance on other 1968 cards and see if they match (or come extremely close to matching). If they don't, it's bad.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 12-28-2020, 12:20 AM
Andrew

We all seem to agree that the 68 is fake, so I’m trying to find out if anyone thinks the border width on the other two is wrong? If it’s just the 68 you’re talking about, then yes, that may be another sign. But I’m more concerned about the other two at this point.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:57 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I think you should be able to tell the other ones with a loupe/magnifier in the solid sections (purple on Mays, black bottom section on Mantle). Both look real to me from the scans.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Andrew

Quote:
I think you should be able to tell the other ones with a loupe/magnifier in the solid sections (purple on Mays, black bottom section on Mantle). Both look real to me from the scans.
I just double-checked both of the solid sections - the Mays against a Murakami RC and the Mantle against a 64 Kubek - and they both look 100% legit as far as I can tell. It's strange.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Why is it strange? That a seller was duped by a fake Mantle and sold all three to you? That seems like it would happen pretty often.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Andrew

Yeah, I guess maybe I'm just being too suspicious in thinking that if one is fake, the seller is unscrupulous and the others must be too. It's tough diving back in to the hobby waters after so long, with so many good-intentioned warnings that fakes and trimmed cards are everywhere.

Last edited by ASF123; 12-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Howard Chasser

Default My 2 cents

68 sounds 100% fake. Definitely would make me uneasy about the other 2 from the same seller. That said - I am with the consensus that from the scans and your description there is nothing obviously fake about the other 2. That said - someone who in a best-case is inexperienced enough to miss the 68 as a fake could miss a number of other potential alterations (trimming, coloring, bleaching, etc) would concern me. In a worst case they knew the 68 was fake and was tried to either pay it forward or intentionally deceive. In all cases the cards you are talking about are relatively common - why not just send them all back, find new ones and rest easy at night.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

What does the '68 Mantle measure side to side??

Casey Stengel

Old 12-28-2020, 03:43 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
What does the '68 Mantle measure side to side??
It's only juuuuuust short of 2.5 in. - about 1/32 in.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:50 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
68 sounds 100% fake. Definitely would make me uneasy about the other 2 from the same seller. That said - I am with the consensus that from the scans and your description there is nothing obviously fake about the other 2. That said - someone who in a best-case is inexperienced enough to miss the 68 as a fake could miss a number of other potential alterations (trimming, coloring, bleaching, etc) would concern me. In a worst case they knew the 68 was fake and was tried to either pay it forward or intentionally deceive. In all cases the cards you are talking about are relatively common - why not just send them all back, find new ones and rest easy at night.
Well, the short answer is that I got them for a very good price - which, yes, I know, another flag. I basically made the deal figuring there was a chance there would be an issue and I'd have to return them, which is why I examined them thoroughly upon receipt. But I'm hesitant to let the ones that look good go without any concrete evidence that they're not legit (and in spite of apparently all concrete evidence that they are).

If they are trimmed, they must have been too big to begin with, because they're right on par with cards I've had since I was a kid both horizontally and vertically. I don't know the specific signs of coloring or bleaching, but I don't see anything suspicious on the surfaces even under a loupe.

Last edited by ASF123; 12-28-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
It's only juuuuuust short of 2.5 in. - about 1/32 in.
Q.E.D., in my book.

Everyone jumped on that Mantle pretty quickly, because it just didn't look right. The other cards certainly seem to pass the visual 'smell test' (yes, that makes no sense at all), so hopefully they are okay.

Casey Stengel

Old 12-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Andrew

Is there any known method of counterfeiting that would reproduce the dot patterns that make up the photos of cards from this era so well that it's virtually indistinguishable (to the admittedly untrained eye) from a real card?

When I load a hi-res photo of the 68T Mantle into the photo viewing software on my laptop and zoom in, the lack of a dot pattern is obvious, showing a different printing method. For the other two, I can't spot any readily noticeable differences. The only thing that occurs to me is that on the 64T Kubek and Terry, there are no dots, just a blank white space, for portions of the uniform that are close to the camera and in the sun (i.e. super ultra white). The Mantle has the dot pattern across his whole uniform, but so does Clete Boyer, who is also posed a little further away from the camera.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:57 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
The only thing that occurs to me is that on the 64T Kubek and Terry, there are no dots, just a blank white space, for portions of the uniform that are close to the camera and in the sun (i.e. super ultra white). The Mantle has the dot pattern across his whole uniform, but so does Clete Boyer, who is also posed a little further away from the camera.
The other guys who've helped you have more experience than I do. But from my experience, this variation of patterns among different colored areas of the same card is common and totally normal.

As far as your other last question, I've never had a legit card w/ the right pixel patterns that didn't pass all the other typical "real" tests. But I'm also curious if it's ever happened out there.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:44 PM
J@mes In.gram

Technology has increased exponentially with everything, so it only stands to reason that fakery with baseball cards would improve as well, and that is the case. Fakes used to be obvious. Not so anymore. There are any number of high grade fakes out there. PSA and others have admitted this. Many get found out, but many others make it all the way through the grading process. Unfortunate but true. When something becomes valuable, let the games begin. Humans are only human after all, no matter how much experience you might have evaluating baseball cardboard cards, and the ego to go with it.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Andrew

Update: The seller, who seems to have a bit of a "quirky" communication style, has been apologetic and says he has refunded my money for the '68 and it should process in 24 hours. Also said I could keep the card to save on return postage and because he wouldn't sell it again anyway. He offered to refund all three if I wanted to return the '64 and the Mays as well.

Thank you very much to all who have given advice and weighed in. This board has been a huge help for me in navigating the current market after a long absence.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:11 AM
J0hn Collin$

The giveaway to me on the '68 is the rather perfectly uniform slight rounding of all 4 corners. Most cards don't age that way.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:34 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Just today I thought I had a deal on this ‘65 Mantle. $100 on Craigslist. The pictures on the site and those texted to me had me hopeful, but after a 30 minute drive I knew it was a reprint the second I saw it in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA9AF85F-A461-4654-93F9-63C4B550B2EF.jpg (19.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 0C27E5D7-0672-4BB2-B9C9-151DBE1D708A.jpg (19.1 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 12-30-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Andrew

Interesting - how were you able to identify the fake '65? Same type of things as with the '68 above?
Old 12-30-2020, 03:00 PM
J0hn Collin$

If you've collected for a long time and handled lots of vintage cards, you just know.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:16 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
If you've collected for a long time and handled lots of vintage cards, you just know.
Well that doesn't help me much .
Old 12-30-2020, 03:21 PM
D.an Jackso.n

That’s true Andrew. Experience is the best defense. And even there it is hard to detect in an electronic image.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:54 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
If you want to take a crash course on identifying fakes from a particular issue, pick up a handful of commons from that set. For example, if you're hunting down a '65 Mantle, buy a small mixed lot of 1965 Topps cards. Make sure a couple of them are Yankees, so you become familiar with the way Topps printed that logo and team name.

After you get the cards, spend some time with them. Handle them raw and thoroughly check them out. You'll pick up on things a camera/photo cannot properly capture - qualities such as texture, fine print details, and the way light reflects off the surface.

You're also likely to begin developing an "eye" for spotting photos of fakes.

The best thing about this approach: the cheap common was printed using the same materials/equipment as the expensive HOFer. The experience and knowledge gained with the dollar cards will translate well when you go to make more expensive purchases.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-30-2020, 08:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

And, from what I hear, the smell. Vintage cards have a certain aroma that is also very hard to fake. Always give a look at Etsy or eBay to see what the available fakes look like, before making an expensive purchase. And definitely inspect cards you bought online when you get them, while the return window is still open.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:30 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
And, from what I hear, the smell. Vintage cards have a certain aroma that is also very hard to fake. Always give a look at Etsy or eBay to see what the available fakes look like, before making an expensive purchase. And definitely inspect cards you bought online when you get them, while the return window is still open.
The opposite is also true, and often helpful. With more recently printed cards, there can be a "chemical" smell. This is difficult to describe; however, it is easy to recognize.

So, everyone should make sure their cards "pass the smell test" - literally.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 12-31-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:11 AM
St@n Go.len

Or, buy graded? (Stick to PSA, BVG/BGS or SGC) A presentable low grade 68 Mantle is about $100. Worth the piece of mind and easier to sell later.

The fakes are getting better so if you are light on experience I would go this route.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hxcmilkshake; 12-31-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:34 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Fake or real?

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything with that response. I just think it's true. If you've handled a considerable amount of vintage cards, that's way better preparation to spot fakes and reprints in person than spending 10x that amount of time looking at real vintage cards online. There is a certain texture to them, and even a certain smell. 1950's cards are different from prewar cards, and 1970's cards are different from 1950's cards. In many cases with fakes, the gloss and color on the surface of the cards can be way off, and if you've spent a lot of time flipping through stacks of mid or lower grade commons from the era in question, you are going to notice that kid of thing in a couple of seconds. Another thing that's much easier to see in person with older cards is the halftone dots that make up the pictures, from the printing process of the day. If you compare that in many cases to reprints or modern cards, you will see that they don't have this.

These kinds of things are what I mean. Of course it's more difficult now, when I grew up collecting you could walk into any one of about 3 or 4 cards shops locally and handle vintage cards. These days you would probably have to start by buying some of them online.

Since we are talking about the '65 Mantle - some things I would look for with fakes there is the white borders being too white, the card overall being too glossy, and that magenta / pink inner border at the bottom. Legit copies of this card can have some variation with how bright this pink is, but based on how it was printed - a fake or reprint is almost always going to get that slightly wrong. As mentioned already, get some common '65 Yankees and see how this border looks. Once you've seen a few, a fake one is going to stick out like a sore thumb. To me another dead giveaway with this card is some combination of what I just mentioned with dead nuts perfect centering. You just don't see it that often. The real card was frequently cut to be off-center, often times with some degree of tilt to the picture. Perfectly centered copies exist, sure, but if you have a random otherwise midgrade card that someone is selling on Craig's List or eBay, the odds of it being perfectly centered are kinda low. Most fakers get this wrong, since modern cards are generally much better consistently centered than their vintage predecessors.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-31-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:39 PM
Andrew

Thanks much for the advice, everyone - it sounds like I was on the right track as far as comparing it to known commons, etc.

So, further update...get this: I was going through my HOF box just now to rearrange it alphabetically by player rather than by year, and I found another 65T Mays in about the same shape that I had completely forgotten I bought about a month ago. (This is what happens when you get a little overly enthusiastic about buying cards after a long layoff.)

Comparing the two directly, I'm now completely convinced that this one is legit. Either that, or they're both examples of the same incredibly good fake. I don't see any or feel any differences at all, even under the loupe.