NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2021, 05:05 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default PayPal hold on funds?

I’m hoping some seasoned sellers might be able to help me figure out why PayPal would have put a hold on funds paid to me via eBay for a transaction recently completed.

The buyer (great guy, also a Net54 man) and I had a terrific transaction, he made a BIN offer on e-bay, I accepted and all seemed fine.

I packaged the item and added a tracking number into the eBay system but it’s still showing funds held, not available.

I found some general policy statements on PayPal suggesting some possibilities for wire the funds may be on hold for 21 days. 21 days??!

I also checked eBay and it shows nothing there in messages suggesting that eBay was putting a hold on the funds or transaction. In fact, it redirected me back to PayPal.

Anyone have any idea what might have triggered this hold? I’m a very infrequent seller on eBay but I have sold several items over the last month or so. My ratings as well as the buyer are both very good, 100%.

Thx for the forensics here... it’s all a mystery and, of course no luck reaching an actual human being at PayPal

Jeff
Old 01-18-2021, 05:16 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I’m hoping some seasoned sellers might be able to help me figure out why PayPal would have put a hold on funds paid to me via eBay for a transaction recently completed.

The buyer (great guy, also a Net54 man) and I had a terrific transaction, he made a BIN offer on e-bay, I accepted and all seemed fine.

I packaged the item and added a tracking number into the eBay system but it’s still showing funds held, not available.

I found some general policy statements on PayPal suggesting some possibilities for wire the funds may be on hold for 21 days. 21 days??!

I also checked eBay and it shows nothing there in messages suggesting that eBay was putting a hold on the funds or transaction. In fact, it redirected me back to PayPal.

Anyone have any idea what might have triggered this hold? I’m a very infrequent seller on eBay but I have sold several items over the last month or so. My ratings as well as the buyer are both very good, 100%.

Thx for the forensics here... it’s all a mystery and, of course no luck reaching an actual human being at PayPal

Jeff
If you're new to selling, they put a hold on payments, ask the buyer to leave feedback asap, that will free the money faster. Also if this transaction is higher than your usual sales, they might hold the payment, again ask buyer to leave feedback asap. If the buyer pays by echeck, the money won't show up until it clears but you should receive an email telling not ship until it clears.

Ebay is changing all sellers away from PayPal to Ebay Managed Payments, that could be a holdup as well.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:12 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I too am a spotty seller on Ebay, but have over a 2400 feedback rating and over 20 years on Ebay. Last week, I had a BIN on a card at $175 that sold in minutes (yes, priced a bit too low, and knew it) and the buyer paid immediately. The money was then placed on a 24 hour hold...I received a couple of automatic emails, but really no explanation. The buyer contacted me and apologized as he noticed it and thought it may be on his end? He also had over 2000 feedback. I waited the 24 hours, then shipped immediately. Again, I had sold a few items the last month or so around the same price range and nothing.

In the end it was a minor inconvenience, but in all years I have never had that happen and have sold items over $2-3k before. Figured something new must have triggered that...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-18-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Thanks for the insights... hoping this is a one/done issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
If you're new to selling, they put a hold on payments, ask the buyer to leave feedback asap, that will free the money faster. Also if this transaction is higher than your usual sales, they might hold the payment, again ask buyer to leave feedback asap. If the buyer pays by echeck, the money won't show up until it clears but you should receive an email telling not ship until it clears.

Ebay is changing all sellers away from PayPal to Ebay Managed Payments, that could be a holdup as well.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:22 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Thanks John.... I wonder if they created a new algorithm due to their change in payment system

As you said, it’s a small inconvenience - I know the buyer is trustworthy (and the timing hold of 21 days is not that big of a deal)

I just wanted to figure out why in hopes of avoiding another delay in the future (as seller OR buyer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I too am a spotty seller on Ebay, but have over a 2400 feedback rating and over 20 years on Ebay. Last week, I had a BIN on a card at $175 that sold in minutes (yes, priced a bit too low, and knew it) and the buyer paid immediately. The money was then placed on a 24 hour hold...I received a couple of automatic emails, but really no explanation. The buyer contacted me and apologized as he noticed it and thought it may be on his end? He also had over 2000 feedback. I waited the 24 hours, then shipped immediately. Again, I had sold a few items the last month or so around the same price range and nothing.

In the end it was a minor inconvenience, but in all years I have never had that happen and have sold items over $2-3k before. Figured something new must have triggered that...
Old 01-19-2021, 09:37 PM
Connor
Connor

Add the tracking number to PayPal’s website also and have the buyer give feedback like another member mentioned. In addition have them go to PayPal’s website and click on the invoice you are referring to. there should be an option for the buyer to select “received item “ or “received item and satisfied” (not positive on the exact wording.) But if they select this option it will release the funds immediately.