NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2003, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Default Goudey Babe Ruth???

Posted By: Mike Marshall

I'm looking at a couple of cards on ebay, Goudye Babe Ruth cards....the seller states right in the statement that he doesn't know the date because there is not a date on them....if there is no date how does one know if the card is a reprint or if it is not?

Old 06-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: deadballera

many of the Goudey reprints are glossy, or have extra wide snow white borders.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Educate yourself on what you are buying before you buy it. Attend a few shows, talk to dealers with vintage material not shiny junk. Once you are comfortable, buy IN PERSON. Or, and I hate to say this, buy a graded one by a 3rd party company, one of the larger reputable companies. Most, not all but most of what they slab is original and not doctored. This is much safer than buying a raw card from an ebay seller you do not know and that has a low rating. Dan.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I rank the 1933 Goudey Ruths (any of the poses) amongst those that you should not buy online from someone you don't know or trust, unless the card has been graded by reputable dealer (scams can still be done with graded cards, or images of graded cards, so I would still deal with someone with a nice reputation). There are many more reprints/counterfeits than genuine cards, and a lot of scammers use this card, as it is popular and expensive.

Luckily, anyone who has already owned 1933-4 Goudeys (including rough condition commons) will be able to tell the difference between the real and fake Ruth wish some ease. A quick, in person comparison of printing and stock will weed out nearly all fakes right away. If you buy some cheap Goudey commons, I bet it will even help you pick out the fakes on eBay.

Also, most fake Goudey Ruths can be detected (or strongly hinted at) because either the picture card looks bad or the seller uses the tell-tale scamm seller language ("I'm no expert, but a local card shop said such-and-such" ... "Absolutely no returns" ... "My squirrell needs an emergency hernia opperation and I need the money quick" ... "This was obtained from the estate of my 7 year old sister")

When buying expensive, esoteric and/or items I'm not personally experienced with, I am a firm beleiver in buying from dealers and I know and respect.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Administrator

I should also point out the Goudey Ruths are not rare, so the buyer can wait for the right opportinity to buy one. In other words, if a buyer doesn't jump on the next Goudey Ruth to pop up on eBay, there will be many others.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

On the one hand, I have seen a few reputable dealers win the "Feldman Fake" Goudeys, which is scarey. On the other hand, I've bought plenty of Goudeys on ebay (including a Ruth), and never gotten burned.

If you question the authenticity of a card, and the dealer seems reputable, ask if you can return it if in your opinion it is fake. That's how I bought my only Goudey Ruth.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Administrator

One very last point (maybe).

Having dealt with scammers and counterfeiters and forgers for some time (No, I'm not refering to the in-laws), it is my experience that you can identify over one half of the the eBay and similar scams, just by reading the language and phrases of their description and without even looking at the provided images.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Administrator

I agree with Scott. Even it's Sotheby's or MastroNet or your favorite grading company, everyone makes mistakes from time to time (Though a top dealer should be making a whole lot fewer mistakes than anyone else). A sign of a good dealer is how they deal with the mistakes when they arrise. One of the reasons you have peace of mind buying from a dealer you know and trust, is that you know that if what you buy turns out to be a fake the situation will be taken care of.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Henry

Hello!!! You sound like you are quite knowledgable.I have aquired six photo cards one of Babe Ruth. Standing hands at side and no logo on uniform.
Believe it to be 1914-15. Measures 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 approx. If you email me I will send picture.
Thanks Mike Henry

Old 06-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Marshall

Thanks you very much for all of your thorough input...it is appreciated!

Mike