NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-10-2019, 03:22 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Cracked all the '89 Donruss rack packs.

Pulled 5 Griffey Jr's, 4 Randy Johnson, and it seems mostly 3-9 cards.

I've started listing a few cards on eBay, but I can't imagine I'll make the $50 I spent on the case. I guess the approach is to try to make a little back, and the rest is "entertainment fee" for the fun of opening and sorting.
My best advice if you want to make money is to get a very few of the key cards graded if they are worthy. I just recently sold a 1987 Topps bo Jackson psa 10 for around $38. If the Griffey would grade a 10 it is around $200. But if it’s a 9 it’s worth less than $20 so you have to be really sure it’s a 10. Otherwise the junk wax stuff is usually worth more unopened - as are all cards.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
My best advice if you want to make money is to get a very few of the key cards graded if they are worthy. I just recently sold a 1987 Topps bo Jackson psa 10 for around $38. If the Griffey would grade a 10 it is around $200. But if it’s a 9 it’s worth less than $20 so you have to be really sure it’s a 10. Otherwise the junk wax stuff is usually worth more unopened - as are all cards.
It's not really "make money" as much as it's "make some of it back".

I've actually never had any cards graded. The whole "hoping for 10's" things is a bit too much like gambling for me. Looking at population reports for '89 Donruss on PSA, looks like many have tried the same and gotten burned.

That last part sounds mildly depressing. I guess the fact that I open stuff makes me a "hobbiest"
Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
It's not really "make money" as much as it's "make some of it back".

I've actually never had any cards graded. The whole "hoping for 10's" things is a bit too much like gambling for me. Looking at population reports for '89 Donruss on PSA, looks like many have tried the same and gotten burned.

That last part sounds mildly depressing. I guess the fact that I open stuff makes me a "hobbiest"
I just picked up a case of 1989 Donruss wax last weekend and had fun ripping it open. If your luck was anything like mine, there would have been no Griffs worth grading. Not one was remotely close to being centered. That being said, it's not the only money card in the set if graded. The Schillings are now going for $50-65 in PSA 10, I believe in anticipation of him possibly getting into the Hall next year. I'm sending in about 15-20 of the cards in a bulk sub but I am being overly picky on what I'm sending.
Even if you don't send in anything for grading, pick the most centered, sharpest cards(best to use maginfication) and just put them back, you...or your son may want to send them in for grading one day!
Best of luck/fun in your rips and thanks for sharing!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
I just picked up a case of 1989 Donruss wax last weekend and had fun ripping it open. If your luck was anything like mine, there would have been no Griffs worth grading. Not one was remotely close to being centered. That being said, it's not the only money card in the set if graded. The Schillings are now going for $50-65 in PSA 10, I believe in anticipation of him possibly getting into the Hall next year. I'm sending in about 15-20 of the cards in a bulk sub but I am being overly picky on what I'm sending.
Even if you don't send in anything for grading, pick the most centered, sharpest cards(best to use maginfication) and just put them back, you...or your son may want to send them in for grading one day!
Best of luck/fun in your rips and thanks for sharing!
Yeah, in addition to the Griffey and Schilling, there's also the Randy Johnson.

I do have a couple non-89 Donruss cards I'm thinking about getting graded, maybe if they come back decent and I feel like I can tell the difference between a 9 and a 10, I'll give a few a try.

The suggestion of using magnification is a good one, though...my old eyes probably can't tell the difference!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:16 PM

The five Griffeys sold for a total of $14.50 delivered.

Minus shipping and fees, that still should pay for about 25% of the box.

So, 5 of the cards covers a quarter of the cost. Now, if only I was more optimistic that the remaining 3,235 cards would cover the other 3/4.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Sold a set of the 1988 Topps Superstars today. $2.99 plus $3.50 s/h.

67 cards sold...5,600 or so to go!
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I had no idea donruss griffeys were going for that much. I bought 3 or 4 for like 40 bucks each a while back along with some fleer, score, and topps traded.