NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How much more will you pay for great centering, same grade and look otherwise?
No More 48 16.33%
10%-20% 124 42.18%
30% - 40% 73 24.83%
50% - 60% 29 9.86%
70%-80% 6 2.04%
90%-100% 2 0.68%
More than 100% 12 4.08%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default How Much More Will You Pay For Great Centering?

Many collectors don't care that much about centering. We all have our own things we want in a card. For me, centering has always been very important and I will pay significantly more for the same grade, with great centering, as opposed to 80/20 or 70/30 type cards.

Last edited by Leon; 08-03-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:32 AM
J0hn Collin$

I'm not a total centering freak, but will admit the prevailing attitude of the hobby on this matter over the last 20 years or so has swayed my opinion at least somewhat over the years. I don't usually mind a card o/c moderately one way - say 70/30. I do not like cards that are miscut or close to appearing miscut - 90/10 in most cases is going to be a non-starter for me, but really it depends on the individual card and the overall presentation.

I once overpaid for a '61 Mantle All-Star PSA 5, because it was nearly perfectly centered. It always seems like the majority of those that I see are close to miscut.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-24-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Ben North

Beautiful card Leon. Personally I won't pay more for centering. With more expensive old cards not having any problems on the players face is most important to me. I collect lower grade examples though.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I will pay 50% for something centered “perfectly” if its a card I’ve been looking for.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:16 AM

I didn't pay extra but I waited extra long to find and buy a centered copy:

Old 08-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Default Ha !! Fifty per cent ?? Piker !

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I will pay 50% for something centered “perfectly” if its a card I’ve been looking for.

..Some of us have been known to sell our blood and then pawn the full-size spare tire from the Park Avenue ULtra to get some centered cardboard...

Old 08-03-2020, 06:05 PM

At what point going down the centering % scale will you simply not even pay at all? These days, if not 55/45 (absolute worst 60/40) or better I probably don't even consider the purchase. There are exceptions for a notoriously poorly centered issue, but those are few and far between. For instance, the 1941 Ted Williams & the 1952 Bowman Willie Mays are extremely tough to find superb centering.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:39 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

I here you on the 52 Bowman Mays. I found my copy about 6 years ago and did not hesitate to pull the trigger. It was priced about 20% higher than other 3's at the time.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 PM
Matt

If I shop for a card and determine that the overwhelming majority are centered poorly, and that centering is a relatively rare attribute, I will pay up big when I find one centered.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-03-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:24 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

This may come across as a cop-out, but my answer is it depends. Centering is a big part of my evaluation of a card, but I also look for bright colors (no fading or staining) and good registration. I won't buy a card if it doesn't have all 3 elements.

I'm quite happy to pay a premium if I can check all 3 boxes, but the amount of the premium depends on the scarcity of the card, the number of issues with the particular card/set. For example 1933 Goudey doesn't have a lot of centering issues, so I don't pay much of a premium for well centered cards. By contrast 1952 Topps can be difficult to find well centered examples of certain cards, so I'm comfortable with a bigger premium for centering.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 AM

When I collected, centering was my least concern. Any flaw caused by the factory whether it be centering, wax stains, jagged edges are not something I care about. Creasing, soft corners caused by collectors is a much bigger problem from my perspective.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:04 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
When I collected, centering was my least concern. Any flaw caused by the factory whether it be centering, wax stains, jagged edges are not something I care about. Creasing, soft corners caused by collectors is a much bigger problem from my perspective.
I agree with James. I obviously would prefer a centered card but it isn’t as big of a concern as overall wear or creasing. Actually being out of focus or off-register is more annoying to me.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Justin

Figured since we are all showing off our centered 51 Mantles I would join in.

I only pay extra for centering in sets or cards that are notoriously poorly centered personally.

General eye appeal is more important to me, centering included but.not necessarily crucial.1951_Bowman_253_Mickey_Mantle__SGC-Grade-1_Auth-0753745-front.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Al Stein

I don't know about you but I would never buy a card just for the centering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44884724(3).jpg (48.3 KB, 879 views)
File Type: jpg 42855450.jpg (39.4 KB, 879 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 10:33 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I will definitely pay a premium for centered cards. How much? Depends on how hard it is to find centered examples that particular card.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 AM

That '52 Bowman Mays is a dandy.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
This may come across as a cop-out, but my answer is it depends. Centering is a big part of my evaluation of a card, but I also look for bright colors (no fading or staining) and good registration. I won't buy a card if it doesn't have all 3 elements.

I'm quite happy to pay a premium if I can check all 3 boxes, but the amount of the premium depends on the scarcity of the card, the number of issues with the particular card/set. For example 1933 Goudey doesn't have a lot of centering issues, so I don't pay much of a premium for well centered cards. By contrast 1952 Topps can be difficult to find well centered examples of certain cards, so I'm comfortable with a bigger premium for centering.
When I first rejoined the hobby back in 2016, I purchased many 52 Topps cards that weren't exactly centered, if you know what I mean? That has changed now once I became more educated and read on here numerous times how important centering was. I have now, for the most part, become fairly anal when it comes to centering, but then again, since most of my remaining needed cards are pricey, I won't be as anal with those if and when the time comes.

A fairly recent upgrade for me, and if I happen to come across a more centered copy of other cards in my collection, I will also give them a shot if the upgrade is significant enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gus Zernial front 1.jpg (77.2 KB, 869 views)
File Type: jpg Gus Zernial BB 52 Topps.jpg (75.9 KB, 872 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM
Brett

Most of the time I am just glad to own the card. There is always a chance to sell and upgrade later.

Doc
Old 08-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Nothing. I will pay a premium for a heavy miscut, but centering is both a natural defect from the techniques of a century ago, and doesn't really impact a cards visual aesthetics to my eyes. I don't do high grade, but things like registration, brightness, etc. have a much greater impact on how a card looks.

I will take a creased up, pinholed and wildly off center Old Judge with a bright image over a PSA 6 with 50/50 centering that's fading.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:25 PM
John Donovan

For me, it depends on the card. If it is a high dollar card that is notoriously off centered (i.e. the majority of the cards are off centered like the 52 Bowman Mays) then I have no problem adding an off centered version of that card to my set...I will not pay a premium for a rare centered copy.

However, if a higher dollar card can be found fairly easily with decent centering, I will NOT try and save money by finding an off centered version...I'll buy a reasonably centered card for market price.

And for common cards to fill my set...centering is not an issue. While I wouldn't want an entire set of off centered cards, i don't mind my commons being a mix of centered and off centered...and sometimes I will intentionally pick up a cheaper common that is very off centered to allow me to check it off the list at a lower price.

The 1952 Bowman set is great example. I'm fine with an off centered Mays (because the majority of them are off centered....but I held off on buying a Mantle until I found one with decent centering (not 50/50, but not bad)...here are my copies of both of those cards from my set...and I'm very happy with each one):

Mays.JPG

Mantle.JPG
Old 08-04-2020, 04:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's all about sharp corners for me. Centering (as long as it's relatively decent and not a smack in the face) is much further down on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:28 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's all about sharp corners for me. Centering (as long as it's relatively decent and not a smack in the face) is much further down on the list.

I'm pretty much on the same track Darren, especially for my PC-type cards.
I've written about it before, but I tend to go for "overall appeal", and that includes everything, corners, centering, registration, print etc etc.
(any projects I may do, are a bit different though.....)

Give me a sharp card that is "respectable" in all areas, and I will take that over a beautifully centered card, that has other notable problems.

I said it a few years ago, but I think the trend may ultimately move in that direction, and not strictly for the centering purists....but thats just my opinion.

All that aside, it sure is nice to find a beautifully centered mid grade (and up) card.
Its getting harder and harder as time goes on to find the extremely well-centered cards, as thats what so many have been going after for years now.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:31 PM
Robert Kasenter

Default centering is everything

As a favor to all of you, I will send you this perfect centered card for your garbage 73/30 Mantle rookie or perhaps a miscut t206 Wagner. No need to thank me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.7 KB, 808 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Glad we all like different stuff.

Leaves more centered copies for me.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Jason B.

The '52 Mays example made me laugh. It's tough. So tough that even after I finally found one centered, I couldn't pass up a nicer raw second one I found, just because it was centered

And I'm not an impartial party here -- when I started really collecting vintage about 10 years ago, I made my primary focus on centering, so that's how my collection has been built.
It's right for me -- as long as the eye appeal is good as well. I can handle a soft corner, no problem...

52032b.jpg52032.jpg
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 08-04-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
The '52 Mays example made me laugh. It's tough. So tough that even after I finally found one centered, I couldn't pass up a nicer raw second one I found, just because it was centered

And I'm not an impartial party here -- when I started really collecting vintage about 10 years ago, I made my primary focus on centering, so that's how my collection has been built.
It's right for me -- as long as the eye appeal is good as well. I can handle a soft corner, no problem...
Haha....so that’s why I couldn’t find a centered mid-grade 52 Bowman Mays....because you are hoarding them
Old 08-04-2020, 08:51 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
I'm pretty much on the same track Darren, especially for my PC-type cards.
I've written about it before, but I tend to go for "overall appeal", and that includes everything, corners, centering, registration, print etc etc.
(any projects I may do, are a bit different though.....)

Give me a sharp card that is "respectable" in all areas, and I will take that over a beautifully centered card, that has other notable problems.

I said it a few years ago, but I think the trend may ultimately move in that direction, and not strictly for the centering purists....but thats just my opinion.

All that aside, it sure is nice to find a beautifully centered mid grade (and up) card.
Its getting harder and harder as time goes on to find the extremely well-centered cards, as thats what so many have been going after for years now.

I’m mostly a 1956 Topps collector and I strongly agree with the above. It’s all about overall eye appeal, and the human desire for centering is a big part of that. I recently added this centered Williams and I probably paid an additional 20% compared to an average 6 without a second thought. I had been looking for a nice example for at least two years so I jumped at the chance for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Beauty is in the eye of the holder

Centering is definitely one of the top of the list qualities for me - I think the only thing that would be more important is actual front or back damage (including creases). When I saw this thread I started contemplating why - what I came up with is for my eye the centering has a HUGE impact on the eye appeal of the card - an off center card pulls my eye immediately to the defect - a well centered card allows my eye to focus on the image - for me - soft corners all day long over an off center image.
As far as premium as has been mentioned it is card specific - for a rarity - condition is virtually out the window, centering or otherwise.
For a card that is more available but hard to find centered - ususally willing to cough up a 10-15% premium.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Centering, image quality/registration and strong ink are my big 3. Centering is absolutely mandatory for me. I won't even consider purchasing a card--regardless of price or scarcity that is visually off center. If a card sells for 1000.00 in NM-MT I'll pay 50% premium or more to go from 60/40 to nearly spot on.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:11 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I used to have a business partner who was a freak about corners but didn't care about centering. I like reasonable centering but care less about corners. As for me, I don't buy things that I plan to resell that are not well centered. I am happy to let commons slide now and then.

Also, I am more tolerant of moderate left to right centering issues but don't like top to bottom centering issues.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

[QUOTE=bbcard1;2006079]I used to have a business partner who was a freak about corners but didn't care about centering. I like reasonable centering but care less about corners. As for me, I don't buy things that I plan to resell that are not well centered. I am happy to let commons slide now and then.

Also, I am more tolerant of moderate left to right centering issues but don't like top to bottom centering issues.[/QUOTE

I don't mind cards centered a bit low. I HATE cards centered high. Thin margin on top with a thick margin on the bottom is actually frustrating to me, Lol.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

[QUOTE=Phil68;2006286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I used to have a business partner who was a freak about corners but didn't care about centering. I like reasonable centering but care less about corners. As for me, I don't buy things that I plan to resell that are not well centered. I am happy to let commons slide now and then.

Also, I am more tolerant of moderate left to right centering issues but don't like top to bottom centering issues.[/QUOTE

I don't mind cards centered a bit low. I HATE cards centered high. Thin margin on top with a thick margin on the bottom is actually frustrating to me, Lol.
I am with you on the centering. I like big tops and average, or big, bottoms...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyb.jpg (79.8 KB, 619 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I have to say that it depends on the rarity of the card. If I cant get the card normally, I'll take what can and perhaps upgrade when or if I can
Old 08-06-2020, 11:20 AM
Carl

That's one gorgeous '56 Williams there!!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
I’m mostly a 1956 Topps collector and I strongly agree with the above. It’s all about overall eye appeal, and the human desire for centering is a big part of that. I recently added this centered Williams and I probably paid an additional 20% compared to an average 6 without a second thought. I had been looking for a nice example for at least two years so I jumped at the chance for this one.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 PM

To look at it from another angle, I don't pay any less for something like this compared to the same card in similar condition with more typical centering.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tattooorbitcuyler 001.jpg (66.0 KB, 606 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
That's one gorgeous '56 Williams there!!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Fred

I'm not a centering freak. I don't mind a little off-center (let's say 70-30) but once you get to 90-10, then it bugs me a little.

What the heck to the TPGs use to determine centering. I think they "eyeball" it in most cases because (not trying to pick on PSA, but...) there are so many cases where I've seen OC qualifiers on some cards that were marginally OC for the grade and then I've seen cards that should have had an OC qualifier that didn't.

IMHO, I believe that TPGs really need to not "eyeball" centering if they're going to use it as a reason to lower a grade on a card. This is one of the criteria that PSA just doesn't seem to "measure" very well.

Centering is NOT subjective, it's something that can actually be measured. I guess the extra minute it would take to use a proper tool just isn't worth a graders time.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:10 PM
Pete Sycks

Don't think I've owned a more centered card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young E90-1 Boston SGC 5.jpg (77.5 KB, 556 views)

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 08-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Personally I agree centering makes or breaks the eye appeal. I tend to look at it from a different perspective, though it may be difficult to articulate. Centering is a factory defect. There is no way to change this once it is cut and packaged, Much like registration. Surface , edges and corners however may or may not endure nicely the test of time. To me having a 100 year old card with tight corners, strong colors and no creasing is where it's at. Also I would opine, myself included, many folks pay a premium for centered say in a "5" holder. Im okay doing this. But I will never pay a "7" or "8" price for a "5". Just my $.02.

Card Collector thoughts only, not a professional card guy by any means.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Meh !!

..Centering , schmentering , ya takes what ya gets outta da pack ( or sheet )

..problems solved : five cents.....

Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I chose 10-20% for the poll, but for the right card will pay-up more. For post war a card has to have corners and centering. Pre-war, I'll take centering over corners all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '33 Goudey #92 Gehrig PSA 4.jpg (78.7 KB, 518 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 08-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
I chose 10-20% for the poll, but for the right card will pay-up more. For post war a card has to have corners and centering. Pre-war, I'll take centering over corners all day.

Wow, that’s a nice Gehrig!

Old 08-07-2020, 09:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

I answered over 100% and it could be much higher depending on the card, and the quality of recent same grade sales. As others have said it really depends on the card, how hard it is to find centered, and the overall eye appeal. A nice dead centered 4 of iconic card hard to find centered could easily sell for more than twice what other off center cards have sold for.

These are the kind of sales people will start threads about because they don't understand the market and assume the sales were manipulated.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Matt

The Ted Williams, Cy Young, and Lou Gehrig cards pictured here are gorgeous. What a treat to see them. Thanks for posting those, owners!
Old 08-08-2020, 08:15 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The Ted Williams, Cy Young, and Lou Gehrig cards pictured here are gorgeous. What a treat to see them. Thanks for posting those, owners!

Thanks! I love that Ted Williams too!

Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM
J0hn H@rper

When it comes to vintage, I am fine with fairly off-centered cards. There's something more pure about having plenty of them in my collection (since that's what you got out of packs way back when).

And since the fakes and reprints of the hallmark vintage cards usually have great centering, off-centered versions just give me a more genuine and nostalgic feeling to see and own.

As far as eye appeal, bad stains on the back bother me more than most things.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default How Much More Will You Pay For Great Centering?

I led off the response to this thread last year with a story about paying a premium for a centered, midgrade card. However, just last week I bought this:

I do think it’s interesting that PSA will lead you to believe that the half grade “plus” is usually reserved only for nearly perfectly centered cards. In practice, I have found this not always to be the case. I digitally measured this guy at 68/32 left to right (55/45 T/B). ‘67’s can be difficult to judge, because they have overall thinner borders (borders with less total area) when compared to other vintage issues.

This stuck me as a sharp card for the grade regardless, and when the seller discounted it more than I had been anticipating - I pulled the trigger. I think it really does depend on the individual card…

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-31-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:56 PM
Phil

My 53 Bowman color set would only be about 35-40% centered, the majority of my cards have borders favoring the tops of the cards. Corners, wrinkles, and creases bother me far more than centering. Sometimes I will upgrade for a better-centered card if the price is right, but I'm mostly happy with what I have.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:16 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

For certain cards finding the right blend of grade/eye-appeal and centering is important for me. Here is a good example. Not sure I will ever own this card in a higher grade but more than happy to have this low grade Mantle in my collection.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:52 PM

I paid a little more than market for this one last Fall. One thing no one's mentioned so far is that even for cards we may have felt we paid up for in the past, the market seems to have risen to meet us