NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default If you could.... be Marty McFly and utilize the flux capacitor...

Which ONE game would you choose to go see and why??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.5 KB, 264 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-09-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM

Default What game would you want to see?

That's easy: Vander Meer's 2nd consecutive no-hitter (the 1st night game at Ebbets Field)
C'mon!

Geez, honestly there are really so many. I would love to have seen Matty, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Carl Hubbell and Bob Feller pitch their best games...

How about you, Ben?

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Assuming you are talking about baseball games I would like to go back and see the perfect world series game thrown by Don Larsen, with only 97 pitches. And only one batter ever got a 3 ball count on him. He was quoted as saying he had great control that game "I never had that kind of control in my life" he said. (all according to wiki)....Or maybe Ruth's called shot to see if he really called it.

Last edited by Leon; 12-09-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 PM

Default Delete please

xxxxx

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-09-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 PM

I would go to the 1919 world series to see the players throwing the game.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 PM

What a shocker Scott!

I'll go with Walter Johnson - Smokey Joe Wood classic showdown, 1912 or so I believe.

Not far behind -- Bobby Thomson and the Shot Heard Round the World 1951 playoff game.

Man, it's fun to imagine.

Greg
Old 12-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thomson's Game...

Shot Heard Round the World. I would sneak my way into the general area that the ball landed as that ball has NEVER conclusively come up for auction. I would scratch, claw, rumble, and then offer a lot of cash on the spot for it. /then take my little prize back to 2015.....

I'm packed. When do I leave?

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 12-09-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

How about you, Ben?
It is very tough as there are just so many for so many reasons:

1)The called shot and 1919 to separate fact/fiction
2) shot heard around world and larsen perfect game with exciting endings.
3) Watch the greatest team; a 1927 game.. maybe game 4 ws or ruth beltig number 60.
4) old, cartoon like players where no footage exists in their primes primes/dead ball era.

After thinking it over, I would love to be at the 1916 game 2 ws game watching Babe Ruth giving one of the greatest pitching performances in WS history. I would love to experience his true greatness as a pitcher. Seriously,, how good was he? What could he have been? I also think it would be crazy cool being the only one at the park knowing what he would turn into(including the babe).
Babe Ruth pitched a 14 inning complete game with 13 scoreless innings in a row and drove in 1 of the 2 runs needed for the win.
I would love to see his swing which didn't do much that game and his temperament when he struck out 2 times. I would love to see poetry in motion on the mound(at least how I envision it from the photo below). I would also like to see how he interacted with players and the crowd at that young age.
In closing, I would like to get him to sign multiple early era sigs and a letter to me. I would simply offer him beers, cigars and food for the sigs. Who knows.. maybe I could be his wing man for a night and see what the ladies were like 99 years ago. 99 bottles of beer on the.. ok.. tired.. going to bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10557282_682975311781104_3951499415403457726_n.jpg (74.0 KB, 222 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-09-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:34 AM
ThreadKiller

Default ANY Game...

I would *gladly!* go to ANY GAME c.late-1952 with a store (within walking distance - hey, I'd be a kid, right, so I couldn't drive???) and suck EVERY penny outta my pocket to buy last-series 1952 Topps - gotta grab a shitload of Mantles IF I could when the opportunity's available, right, RIGHT?????
Old 12-10-2015, 01:14 AM
Murr the Blurr

May 8, 1968 -- Catfish Hunter's perfect game vs. Minnesota, at Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland. Only 6,200 fans witnessed the 9th perfect game in MLB history, but it was a dandy. Besides fanning the great Harmon Killebrew three times, Hunter came back from a 3-0 count to fan Tony Oliva and K'd the last two men he faced: Bruce Look and Rich Reese. Catfish also helped his own cause with 3 RBIs in Oakland's 4-0 win, thanks to a bunt single in the bottom of the seventh (to score Rick Monday), and a 2-run single in the eighth.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
What a shocker Scott!

I'll go with Walter Johnson - Smokey Joe Wood classic showdown, 1912 or so I believe.

Not far behind -- Bobby Thomson and the Shot Heard Round the World 1951 playoff game.

Man, it's fun to imagine.

Greg
Greg,
WaJo vs. Smoky Joe would be a great game to see!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
May 8, 1968 -- Catfish Hunter's perfect game vs. Minnesota, at Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland. Only 6,200 fans witnessed the 9th perfect game in MLB history, but it was a dandy. Besides fanning the great Harmon Killebrew three times, Hunter came back from a 3-0 count to fan Tony Oliva and K'd the last two men he faced: Bruce Look and Rich Reese. Catfish also helped his own cause with 3 RBIs in Oakland's 4-0 win, thanks to a bunt single in the bottom of the seventh (to score Rick Monday), and a 2-run single in the eighth.
Murr,
I had the opportunity to spend 15 minutes with Rich Reese one time in AZ.
We arranged a meet after exchanging a couple of letters perhaps 10 years ago.
I have always been interested in Reese for several reasons including him being Nolan Ryan's final strikeout in his MLB record 383rd strikeout in 1973, a game that I actually witnessed as a teenager.
We spoke at length about sports, his career in baseball and his amazing career in business.
With regards to Catfish Hunter's perfect game, he was especially proud of the fact that he forced Catfish to really dig deep in his final at bat in order to get the perfecto. I believe that Reese told me that he made him throw 11 pitches and really twist in the wind before getting him out.
Rich Reese is truly one of the nicest, most straightforward, candid and interesting people that I have ever met.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catfish Hunter perfect game celebration on field 1968.jpg (61.8 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-10-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Nick Edson

Default Spahn vs. Marichal

I would opt for something a little out-of-the-box: The regular season game in the early 1960s when Warren Spahn and a young Juan Marichal battled 16-innings and both went the distance. A classic pitching duel between two great Hall of Fame pitchers.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:12 AM

Knowing what was to come, I'd like to see Clemente collect his 3,000 hit.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 AM

9/12/64 - Bob Meyer and Frank Bertainia each have complete game one hitters. Orioles win 1-0.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Game three, 1932 World Series, October 1, 1932. Would like to be an eyewitness to Babe calling his shot...or not.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Disco demolition night
Old 12-10-2015, 09:42 AM

June 4, 1974 Cleveland Indians vs Texas Rangers.
That's right, 10 cent beer!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Mike Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Disco demolition night
The psycho in me would love to see this game and 10 cent beer night.

Unfortunately I only have one shot at this so I would pick the 1933 All Star game. That would cover a ton of legends and my favorite park in all its glory.

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 12-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Bill Boyd

I would go back to the first official scored major league baseball game, and gather, beg, buy, and haggle for as much memorabilia and autographs as I could get.
I know the infield would be missing at least one base.
By the way, can my digital camera go along too?

Last edited by billyb; 12-10-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

May 25th, 1935 Pirates vs Braves

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 12-10-2015, 07:36 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

because of this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthlasthr.jpg (74.6 KB, 99 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Val Kehl

Game 7 of the 1924 World Series at Griffith Stadium - the Senators win their only World Series - WaJo is the winning pitcher in relief in the 12th inning.
Val
Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
I would go back to the first official scored major league baseball game, and gather, beg, buy, and haggle for as much memorabilia and autographs as I could get.
I know the infield would be missing at least one base.
By the way, can my digital camera go along too?
Its an interesting thing, regarding the digital camera but moreso about wanting to buy things. A lot of people say they would go back in time to buy x item, but you would also need to source period money to use. I doubt you'd be able to pass off our current money in the past.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Mark Fober

October 10th, 1926 - Game 7 in Yankee Stadium

Cards win their first world series as Ruth is thrown out attempting to steal ending the game.

Hafey, Hornsby, Bottomley, Lazzeri, Gehrig, Alexander, Pennock, Haines, Hoyt et al
Old 12-12-2015, 07:16 AM
pete ullman

fantastic...i'd go with you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
It is very tough as there are just so many for so many reasons:

1)The called shot and 1919 to separate fact/fiction
2) shot heard around world and larsen perfect game with exciting endings.
3) Watch the greatest team; a 1927 game.. maybe game 4 ws or ruth beltig number 60.
4) old, cartoon like players where no footage exists in their primes primes/dead ball era.

After thinking it over, I would love to be at the 1916 game 2 ws game watching Babe Ruth giving one of the greatest pitching performances in WS history. I would love to experience his true greatness as a pitcher. Seriously,, how good was he? What could he have been? I also think it would be crazy cool being the only one at the park knowing what he would turn into(including the babe).
Babe Ruth pitched a 14 inning complete game with 13 scoreless innings in a row and drove in 1 of the 2 runs needed for the win.
I would love to see his swing which didn't do much that game and his temperament when he struck out 2 times. I would love to see poetry in motion on the mound(at least how I envision it from the photo below). I would also like to see how he interacted with players and the crowd at that young age.
In closing, I would like to get him to sign multiple early era sigs and a letter to me. I would simply offer him beers, cigars and food for the sigs. Who knows.. maybe I could be his wing man for a night and see what the ladies were like 99 years ago. 99 bottles of beer on the.. ok.. tired.. going to bed.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:30 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

1908 Cubs last World Series win.......