NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 PM

Default I need your help trying to find a 1985 issue of SCD

I am appealing to my fellow collectors for an old issue of Sports Collectors Digest. The year would be 1985. At the time, SCD was bi-weekly, so we are talking only 26 issues. The issue I am desiring would not be hard to find; permit me to explain.

The issue I'm seeking has a full-page advertisement from Lew Lipset. The title at the top of the page is:

"1962 JELLO BOXES (MINT)"

At the back of each issue is an advertiser index. Simply search for Lew Lipset's name; the index is alphabetical, so it's a snap.

I would like to buy the issue from you. The prices I see on eBay range from $5-10. It is not that valuable. If you cannot bear to part with it, a good, clear scan would suffice. Feel free to share it with all of us, so we'll all drool on our computer keyboards!

I don't have some deep-seated plot in mind. I am helping a friend with his research for a book chapter he is writing.

Please, I need your help. The only 1985 issue I have of SCD came up empty.

Thanks. Best regards, Brian Powell
Old 06-23-2020, 11:28 AM
John

Brian,
I have the Nov 22, 1985 and Dec 20, 1985 SCD issues and Lew's ad in those 2 issues does not advertise 1962 Jello boxes...with your issue that may be 3 issues down and 23 to go

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I checked my vertical file clippings and don't seem to have this ad. Try David Kathman (trdcrdkid here). Doubt he would sell the issue but I'm sure he can find the ad if he has it.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:38 PM

Thanks, guys. Hopefully someone will have it.

Dave, how do I reach out to trdcrdkid / David Kathman if he does not join in on this thread? I guess I've never tried to reach out to someone unless it was to respond to a thread, or send a PM. On the latter, perhaps I do something wrong, since I never seem to get a response from anyone, unless someone has sent me a PM, and I respond to that. I know, I'm rather a VERY 20th century chap.

--- Brian Powell
Old 06-23-2020, 07:05 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Thanks, guys. Hopefully someone will have it.

Dave, how do I reach out to trdcrdkid / David Kathman if he does not join in on this thread? I guess I've never tried to reach out to someone unless it was to respond to a thread, or send a PM. On the latter, perhaps I do something wrong, since I never seem to get a response from anyone, unless someone has sent me a PM, and I respond to that. I know, I'm rather a VERY 20th century chap.

--- Brian Powell
If you go to his profile and hit "contact info" you'll be able to Private message him. If you don't mind me saying so of course.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:18 PM

Hey James! Of course I don't mind you giving me a primer on how to contact someone on here! That's precisely what I was hoping someone would do for me. Thanks James.

I really am a klutz when it comes to figuring things out, computer-wise. I'll try to do as you taught me tomorrow night, when I will have some more net time. Time to eat.

Wishing you the best--- Brian Powell
Old 06-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Steve

I only have three issues from 1985 - July 5th, Sept 27th and Oct 11th. All have Lipset ads, but none mention Jello Boxes. Good luck on your search.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
I only have three issues from 1985 - July 5th, Sept 27th and Oct 11th. All have Lipset ads, but none mention Jello Boxes. Good luck on your search.
Many thanks, Steve, for your kindness and time. Furthermore, many, many thanks for the 1951 Topps Current All-Stars reprints of Stanky, Roberts, and Konstanty you kindly sent me in the spring of 2016. They reside in my display case, and I find them enchanting. Thank you again.

---- Brian Powell
Old 06-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Steve

Default Memory Jogger

Quote:
Many thanks, Steve, for your kindness and time. Furthermore, many, many thanks for the 1951 Topps Current All-Stars reprints of Stanky, Roberts, and Konstanty you kindly sent me in the spring of 2016. They reside in my display case, and I find them enchanting. Thank you again.

---- Brian Powell

No problem at all, Brian. With my short term memory issues, the '51 Topps reprints had slipped my mind, and I had failed to keep a list of those board member I had sent them to. Thanks, my friend.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 PM
Curt

Unfortunately I can't help, but it reminds me of my subscription to I think it was Baseball Card News. Whatever it was called, it was right around that time, I was in High School. It was a newspaper-like publication, maybe every 2 weeks or so. When I joined the Navy in Nov 87, I remember being clear that my cards were not to be toughed. To me that meant everything, but apparently my parents decided that those bulky baseball newspapers were a different story and must have recycled them! To my knowledge/memory, that was the only childhood fatality of my collection, but I am still a little irritated by it after all these years. I forgave my parents, but still wish I had those back!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:45 AM

Thanks, Curt. I feel your pain, bro. Counting up the times my family and I have moved since 1985 comes to six moves. You cull through your things, thinking about what your wish to save, and what you honestly believe at the time you won't ever want again. Wading through large stacks of old Sports Collectors Digest, tearing out an article here, an ad there, a kazillion decisions.

The worst decisions were the cards and sets I thought AT THE TIME I didn't really want. I barely got "OK" money for them, only to find a half generation later I wished I had never ever sold them (i.e. a near complete set of 1952-55 Dormand postcards, a complete mint set of 1962 Topps Civil War News, and a mint (probably not technically, based on PSA's impossible standard for MINT with these) 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Whitey Lockman from Rob Lifson's find in the summer of '75. Their values all skyrocketed from the late 80s /early 90s when I parted with them. However, in all honesty, I want them back for their sheer beauty.

Curt, you and I well know the saying, "Life is full of decisions". As the immortal Fred Flintstone was known for saying-----"Uhhh Boy."

Thanks for wanting to help me. Stay safe, and have fun anyway.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-27-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:28 PM

I am pleased to report our Net54 brother, David Kathman, was successfully able to identify the 1985 Sports Collectors Digest issue I was seeking, and sent me a scan of the same. A big thank you to all who helped me find David Kathman, especially Seven (James) who taught me how to send a PM on here.

While you're keeping safe, try to keep cool; it's horrible in my upper Indiana neighborhood.

--- Brian Powell
Old 06-28-2020, 01:40 AM
Steve

Default Indiana

Quote:
I am pleased to report our Net54 brother, David Kathman, was successfully able to identify the 1985 Sports Collectors Digest issue I was seeking, and sent me a scan of the same. A big thank you to all who helped me find David Kathman, especially Seven (James) who taught me how to send a PM on here.

While you're keeping safe, try to keep cool; it's horrible in my upper Indiana neighborhood.

--- Brian Powell

Brian - Try some summers in southern Indiana. I spent four of them in Bloomington at IU and, man, as a kid from upstate NY, I never knew such conditions existed.

Any chance you can post a scan of the ad from SCD?
Old 07-03-2020, 12:14 PM

Good afternoon, Volod. When my son's schedule and mine intersect, I will have him load the ad up. Hopefully, he will not have to adjust the scan due to the KB limitations, but he has done that before.

Honestly, my friend, I feel the weather is much worse here in northern Indiana due to our close proximity to Lake Michigan. We get the high humidity that makes the heat index dangerously high. Conversely, in the wintertime, we are attacked with Lake effect snow.

Now, what you describe is indeed unpleasant, and I am not just agreeably responding. You see, I went to college at Ball State University, which is central Indiana, and their summers could be scorchers. Worse, I was a long distance runner on their cross-country and track teams, which translates to ......you never take much time off from training throughout the year.

I must admit that at my advancing age (mid-60s), none of these weather extremes agree with me!!!! At least we have appliances to deal with these matters.

My very best to you. Hope you uncover something special to you in the near future for your collection. --- Brian Powell
Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Brian - Try some summers in southern Indiana. I spent four of them in Bloomington at IU and, man, as a kid from upstate NY, I never knew such conditions existed.

Any chance you can post a scan of the ad from SCD?
I don't think David nor Ken will mind my showing you the image David Kathman sent me of the SCD ad from November 8, 1985 found on page 215, taken out by Lew Lipset. Wish I knew more details of this extraordinary find, but suffice to say, they were most assuredly genuine, mint condition, and as Ken Marks confirmed to me, they're one of a kind. Each unfolded box would be an enchanting centerpiece of any of those players. The display piece value is off the charts.

Enjoy the ad, guys and gals. --- Brian Powell
Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Attached Images
File Type: jpg holy crap.jpg (17.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Ken Marks

Brian-tried to post this last week, but my net54 connection just did not work. Great find. An hopefully OK to add some information about the boxes shown in the ad if I might. As one can see, there is no information that shows whether each Jell-O box is a large or small sized box that is for sale in the ad. Nor is there information as to whether those marked as Lemon flavor are either a gelatin or a pudding product. in researching these boxes for a while, it seems pretty dead certain to me that each of these boxes were a small sized gelatin box. I say this based on several reasons. Almost all the boxes one sees now that are complete and folded like these were, can be tied to a player and flavor shown in this ad. I say this based on observation and tracking over the years of unused, flattened, folded boxes like these on sites such as eBay ... and there is a direct tie on 99% of them. Your two boxes of Mantle and Maris are great examples. Both appear in Lew's ad and in the flavor shown in the ad. As we have talked about before, it is very tough to believe your boxes were not a part of those sold in this ad. Additionally after this ad had run its course, there were maybe 45 boxes that had not sold and Lew sold these in bulk to a long-time Post/Jell-O collector. That collector has liquidated these over the years. He confirmed to me that all the boxes he got from Lew were small sized boxes and none were pudding. Thought I would share if anyone is interested.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM

Ken, I am definitely interested. Your chiming in is a humongous gong of expertise, and I am grateful to you. I wish you the best as you track down research on the '62 JELL-Os! --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-17-2020 at 04:58 PM.