NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-14-2020, 06:50 PM

Default New Vintage Collector.. Help me get started

Hello everyone,
I have had a few vintage cards in the past, but never been a vintage collector. I’m now 35, with 2 kids, a good job and have really started to love vintage. I love reading about it, and to put it in simple terms.. I love the history. I have started to sell off my entire modern collection to focus strictly on vintage. I love how our collecting habits can change, and I honestly feel like I have found a whole new hobby. Now, I need you help. Where should I start? I currently have around $3000. Should I buy 1 card, or should I buy several. I am interested in the iconic cards of HOFers, and have no interest in set building or anything like that. I want graded as well. I love all 4 major sports, so I’m curious where you think I should get started, or what the must haves would be at this point. Ill probably end up having $5000 to spend between now and Christmas. Thank you all for helping me start this journey.
- Clay
Old 07-14-2020, 07:06 PM

Runaway now........lol

But really.......Buy gold or silver

Mays/Aaron/mantle are great players to start with or pick up HOF’ers rc cards
Old 07-14-2020, 08:44 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I'd start with mid-high grade HOFers and RCs. Those seem to be going up or gaining the most interest. Can't go wrong with HOFer RCs. I've also noticed HOFer second year cards are gaining steam. I'm guessing people are getting priced out of rookie year cards (or they just like/want rookie cup cards if said HOFer has those cards).

I love the idea of selling modern to focus on vintage. That's what I've started to do. In fact, I just sold my entire Trout collection this weekend. So got that money to start. Working on building up a nice sum in Paypal.

I enjoy set building, and I don't deal in graded. But that's what's so special about sports cards. You can collect what you want to collect. I prefer raw, even big guys like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc, and putting them into my sets into notebooks.

Most of all, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:29 PM
D@le Irv*n

Like what has been talked about lately, card prices have been seeing some crazy realized prices lately.
I mainly collect 52 Topps when it comes to baseball cards and lately some of the auction wins I follow occasionally have had me shocked.

Not sure where it is going to go and if I should tell you to get in now or wait it out but depending on who you want, you might be surprised that the amount you are talking about spending might not go very far?

Good luck with your quest.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...C/402316129498
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...C/402316131910
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...p2047675.l2557
Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 PM
Tim Odeen

You can get a handful of t206 hall of famers for $3000. I am a quantity over quality guy myself. I'd rather look at six $500 cards rather than one $3000 card.

You could also buy 1-3 complete post-war sets for that amount (depending on quality of the set). You could pull out the star cards and then sell off the commons. It would actually reduce the price of the star cards if you did it that way.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-15-2020, 01:43 AM
J0hn H@rper

More info on your preferences is needed (especially if you're interested in pre WW 2, post war, or both). And even what you'd like most within those eras.

Like if it's post-war, mid-grade rookie cards of guys like Seaver or Nolan Ryan? Or early cards of Aaron/Mays? A Mantle?

And like Dale said above, with how the market has moved lately, unfortunately you're beginning in a more difficult position. He and I have talked about how we never would've begun building our '52 Topps sets if we had to start today (and I only began collecting vintage late last year!)

That being said, obviously the market could still have more room to grow. As long as you find the right current market prices on blue-chip type vintage, there's a good chance you could be okay in the long run. And even if your timing ends up being unlucky, it sounds you'll still enjoy owning the cards more than enough to make it worthwhile to you

Last edited by cardsagain74; 07-15-2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:09 AM
Chris Eberhart

Pay down the mortgage on your house with the $3000 and the return will be greater than any card investment you make. In the next 2-3 years there will be a downturn of massive proprtions. Buy in after the crash, it's coming.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:14 PM
John Donovan

You'll hear this repeated over and over, but it can't be said enough, "Collect what you enjoy." That way whether the value of your collection rises or falls, you'll still enjoy the process and hobby of collecting cool cards.

If your goal is to become a vintage card INVESTOR, then that changes the discussion.

But if you are looking to get in to vintage card COLLECTING, then there are lots of options. Set building can be really fun...so if you are interested in that, try picking up a few commons and minor stars from some sets that interest you and see how they look an feel in hand...and if something strikes you as interesting, then start researching and building out that set. Pretty quickly you'll start to discover your preference for condition....if you don't mind creases and marks on your cards, your money will go a lot farther than if you exclusively chase Near Mint vintage.

Another option is to decide which ONE vintage card would be awesome to have, purchase it, and then build the set around it (i.e. grab a 1955 Clemente rookie, and then enjoy adding all the other common, star, and HOF players from that set). Or grab a T206 Cobb, and then build a T206 Tigers team set.

I also enjoy reading biographies and baseball books from the time period I'm currently collecting. My first big vintage purchase was a 1952 Bowman Mays, and I enjoyed that card even more after reading a biography of him. I followed that pattern after I bought my first Ruth and first Mantle. Reading about pre-war baseball greatly enhances my enjoyment of the few T206 and Goudey cards I have, and reading about the early 50's Dodgers, Giants, and Yankees really gives me a better appreciation of my post war Bowman and Topps cards.

I haven't really gotten in to collecting cards from the 60's or 70's, but I'm sure there are some good books about those eras as well.

At any rate...$3000 can get you a ton of satisfaction in this hobby if you enjoy the learning and researching aspect of it.

Keep us posted on how your collecting goes!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am looking to get some iconic cards. The ones that will be conversation pieces. Obviously, some of the big iconic cards are nowhere near my grasp at this time. I'm interested in the 4 major sports. Right now, I am looking for a high grade 1955 Jim Thorpe as one of my first pieces as his story fascinates me. Baseball is my true passion, so I will want a 54 Aaron, an early Jackie Robinson and many others. I am not in this to invest, but rather to build some history that I can share with friends and family. Graded is a must for me to ensure authenticity, and to keep it protected. I want people to be able to hold these cards. I am also a teacher, and would love to share this history with my students. I teach at an alternative high school where students struggle for every reason imaginable. Getting them into sports has literally saved many of their lives. I doubt any of them will get into card collecting, but some of them have developed a real passion for the game and its history. Thank you all for your wise words. If you have anything that you think might fit my criteria, please send me a message. Stay safe everyone!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:12 PM
Tim Odeen

I think you'd be surprised at what you can purchase with $3000, if you're looking for a conversation piece. On Net54 you will routinely see big name cards pop up within your price range; you just have to be lucky enough to see it first. 33 Goudey Lou Gehrig PSA 1 have been hovering in the $1000 range. I picked up an ungraded one on the BST from a seller with good creds. You could get a very decent Cobb for that money. Be patient, know the card you want to buy, and then keep an eye open for it.

There was a thread a month ago of auto RC cards, and I thought those were definite conversation starters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-18-2020, 07:08 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstopguy12 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am looking to get some iconic cards. The ones that will be conversation pieces. Obviously, some of the big iconic cards are nowhere near my grasp at this time. I'm interested in the 4 major sports. Right now, I am looking for a high grade 1955 Jim Thorpe as one of my first pieces as his story fascinates me. Baseball is my true passion, so I will want a 54 Aaron, an early Jackie Robinson and many others. I am not in this to invest, but rather to build some history that I can share with friends and family. Graded is a must for me to ensure authenticity, and to keep it protected. I want people to be able to hold these cards. I am also a teacher, and would love to share this history with my students. I teach at an alternative high school where students struggle for every reason imaginable. Getting them into sports has literally saved many of their lives. I doubt any of them will get into card collecting, but some of them have developed a real passion for the game and its history. Thank you all for your wise words. If you have anything that you think might fit my criteria, please send me a message. Stay safe everyone!
Sounds to me like you already have answered your own question and know the direction you want to head in. That's such a great basis for wanting to collect. Purchase what you know about, and what means something to YOU. I myself am a retired teacher, and as I'm sure you know, while it's important to know your subject, it's also important to have a passion for it. That passion can reach your students. And if that's how you collect, getting cards about athletes that mean something to you and hold significance for you, those cards will help you reach your students. And so many great things can come out of that.

I would only say that you don't necessarily have to purchase graded cards, although I understand the concern. And some of the most historical cards, you might not always find in great condition. Also, some of the most soulful cards are not mint.

Last edited by jgannon; 07-19-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Curt

The question that probably needs to be answered at this point is what is your motive? Are you wanting to collect with the intent of making a gain in the future or are you simply doing it because you enjoy the hobby. That is easy to answer when you are buying 15 cent packs new and holding on to them for years, but when you are plunking down $3-5K and more to buy old cards you never had, then it becomes a much harder call.

$5K will buy a lot of iconic cards if you are willing to accept flaws and lower condition copies. If you are "investing" at this point, you are probably going to have a pretty small collection with that budget.

I'd say I am somewhere in the middle. I want cards that are enjoyable to look at (no major flaws that detract from the overall appearance) but won't break the bank. I don't do graded cards and I don't insist on gem mint cards either. I also don't buy much in the way of vintage anymore either, having grabbed up most of what I have now years ago. Knowing what I know though and with all the recent talk of trimming and the proliferation of counterfeit and reprints, it makes buying that stuff ungraded now even more risky though.

Good luck whichever way you go. I know I couldn't build the collection I have now if I started today and wanted to be budget conscious.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:05 PM
J0hn H@rper

I think some are overestimating what 3000 will get from his wishlist at the moment though. Any graded Aaron rookie and "early" Jackie Robinson will use up most of that budget immediately. Unless it's a low grade '54-'56 Robinson, and then you'd still have about half of it left (and even that's only if the Aaron was PSA 1).

If I were in your shoes, I'd get closer to the $5000 limit that you mentioned. That will probably make a major difference in meeting your goals
Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 AM

Thank you. $3000 is just my immediate starting budget, not my lifetime budget. I plan to save up and regularly buy cards over the years, but I’m probably looking at a few thousand each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
I think some are overestimating what 3000 will get from his wishlist at the moment though. Any graded Aaron rookie and "early" Jackie Robinson will use up most of that budget immediately. Unless it's a low grade '54-'56 Robinson, and then you'd still have about half of it left (and even that's only if the Aaron was PSA 1).

If I were in your shoes, I'd get closer to the $5000 limit that you mentioned. That will probably make a major difference in meeting your goals