NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Has a Set Grown on You Over Time?

I know the title of this thread seems to be asking if you've had some sort of cardboard borne malady overcome you, but I digress.

For the longest time, I had always hated the 1960 Topps set. Its crowded, horizontal design was a nightmare, virtually all of the player photos were dreaded headshots, the rookies had the terrible circle design of the 1959 set, and the manager cards didn't fit into it at all. They looked like they were stolen from some other never-produced set and just thrown into the mix...but then something very enlightening happened. When Bobby was organizing one of his PSA group submissions, I started flipping through my 1960 album to see if I had anything worthwhile (ended up getting a PSA 8 Whitey Ford, a PSA 4.5 Yaz RC, a PSA 8 Gene Conley variation and a PSA 5 Mantle), and I kept flipping, and then going back and forth really looking at the players and BOOM!!!!!!! I suddenly realized that I actually loved this set. Headshots always bother me terribly, but these are coupled with the (often weirdly cropped) inset photos, so there's an oddly comforting portrait quality to them. Sort of like your mom getting professional family photos from Sears back in the day. Plus, a huge number of these pictures were taken inside the old, magnificent stadiums. The crowds are very sparse (obviously due to the pics being taken during warm-ups), so you see the structures themselves and not just a muddy sea of blurry faces in the background. Since the sky isn't prominent in too many shots, it really brings the viewer right into the ballpark itself. I find that fascinating. And the color treatments of the cards - the backgrounds of the inset photos paired with the alternating hued letters of the player names - along with the cool logo placement, creates a real dynamic look and feel to the cards. I frickin' love them!!!!

Here's a bunch of random screengrabs from ebay...

s-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpgs-l1600-8.jpg

Has any set you formerly hated ever grown on you to the point that you really enjoy seeing the cards now? If so, give the initial reasons for the hate, and (not to sound too much like a hippie) the reasons for your newfound love.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.