NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2019, 05:44 PM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Default Working theory: Murad T51 ’number-on-front’ variations

After a looong time looking, thrilled to finally have the Williams College ‘number-on-front’ (NOF) variation in my hands, in any condition. While the base T51 set has been relatively easy to put together, the 25 NOF cards have been much tougher for me. The Wiliams NOF variation is widely considered to be the first first basketball card produced and relevant because the Williams Ephs were arguably the top team in the country at the time of issuance (according to the Premo-Porretta_Power_Poll). This variation has a current PSA pop of only 2 but likely is only a tiny fraction of the overall ungraded population.

Even though there seems to be a general consensus that the NOF variations pre-dated the non-numbered issues, I haven’t see much mention as to why - I think the answer lies in the T6 redemption coupons that were included with each Murad cigarette pack:

My theory is the 'premium’ coupons (as well as the backs of the T6 cabinet cards themselves) were mistakenly printed with alphabetical numbering that differed from the actual T51 card-fronts themselves. So, the Williams T51 card reads #14 but the coupon has Williams College at #24. Because the coupon specifically requests the redeemer to “Write plainly your name and address, and order picture desired by number….” its safe to say that some collectors would have used the numbers on the coupon while others would have made their college request based off the T51 numbering. The resulting headache/confusion let to the small numbering being knocked of the printing plates mid run and the subsequent 1-25 series (First Edition) were printed as the more common “no-number” variety.

So that’s my case - Would love to hear other theories. Finally - realizing this is a baseball card forum, here’s some relevant red meat in a few variations:

Old 10-22-2019, 07:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Hmm; it's possible. I figured with the 1911 date on those coupons to redeem for the T6s, those would have been inserted in packs more around the time of the 2nd edition printing.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:02 AM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Hmm; it's possible. I figured with the 1911 date on those coupons to redeem for the T6s, those would have been inserted in packs more around the time of the 2nd edition printing.
I've always been under the impression that T6 and T51 were issued concurrently. We know for example that the T6's came out in mid-1910 since an earlier version of the redemption coupon exists:

(a bit blurry but states at bottom College series will be ready to mail on June 1st, 1910)

If you look at other ATC coupons that share that same expiry date, there is pretty clear evidence that all were being produced no later than early 1910. For instance with the T3 premiums, here's a Turkey Red coupon:

And a Fez:

What I'm less sure of is the T51 timing - would love to see some evidence they were being issued in 1909 as commonly suggested. If they were, maybe the NOF variations were standard prior to the redemption coupons being included in cigarette packs; Then, when the T6 offer started, ATC decided to scrap the original numbering system and removed these from the T51 printing plates?
Old 10-23-2019, 04:43 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It's a plausible explanation. I think the 1909 date comes from their similarity with the T206 and T205 issues.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:01 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I don’t have a whole lot to offer to the theory, but wanted to chime in with some love for Murads. Some of the most visually appealing and under rated cards in the hobby, IMO.