NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default No love for FSU....

Boy, tomorrow's game against Miami scares the dickens out of me...Hope I'm wrong, any thoughts??
Old 11-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

I hope Miami thrashes them. If Fisher had kicked Winston off the team and Florida State had supported his decision, I think Florida State would be an underdog fan favorite now, but none of that happened.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 PM
T0dd M@rcum

As a Marshall fan, it's hard for me to whip up a lot of sympathy for FSU not feeling the love....
Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 AM
H Murphy

Between Winston, the Head Coach, and the way FSU has handled the past 12 months, I can`t remember a more "unlikeable" team in college football for awhile. I know the group of college fans I`m around EVERY Sat. look forward to 2 things, their team winning and FSU going down the drain.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

It is plausible this year that FSU could win out the season and still miss the playoffs. Being leapfrogged by Oregon, whose schedule wasn't frankly that scary, shows the committee is putting a ton of weight into opponent strength. FSU can't point to much, as even their controversial win against ND no longer seems as impressive.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-15-2014, 02:59 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
It is plausible this year that FSU could win out the season and still miss the playoffs. Being leapfrogged by Oregon, whose schedule wasn't frankly that scary, shows the committee is putting a ton of weight into opponent strength. FSU can't point to much, as even their controversial win against ND no longer seems as impressive.
Jason...No way in the world that would happen. If they win out, you're talking about the defending National champions, and riding a 31 game winning streak.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

It would be unusual but here is how I would see it unfolding. If Bama beats Miss St today in a close game, Bama gets in the top 4 while State stays in with both potentially above FSU based on schedule strength. (May sound odd but I certainly see both their schedules tougher than 1-loss Oregon.) So then FSU and TCU are battling for a final spot in the top 4. If FSU is unimpressive in wins vs soft opponents while TCU looks good, then maybe. Not saying it's right...just plausible. Of course TCU is not looking so good against KU right now.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Miami might settle this the old-fashioned way.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
It would be unusual but here is how I would see it unfolding. If Bama beats Miss St today in a close game, Bama gets in the top 4 while State stays in with both potentially above FSU based on schedule strength. (May sound odd but I certainly see both their schedules tougher than 1-loss Oregon.) So then FSU and TCU are battling for a final spot in the top 4. If FSU is unimpressive in wins vs soft opponents while TCU looks good, then maybe. Not saying it's right...just plausible. Of course TCU is not looking so good against KU right now.
It looks like Jason had this dead on. I didn't see Baylor jumping ahead of TCU, and I would like to TCU in the final 4. I would also like to see Ohio State in the final 4. I need Auburn to beat Alabama, and either Mississippi or Missouri to beat Mississippi State in the next couple games. I would really love to not have any SEC teams in the final 4.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
It looks like Jason had this dead on. I didn't see Baylor jumping ahead of TCU, and I would like to TCU in the final 4. I would also like to see Ohio State in the final 4. I need Auburn to beat Alabama, and either Mississippi or Missouri to beat Mississippi State in the next couple games. I would really love to not have any SEC teams in the final 4.
Then you need Oregon to lose. I can't agree with Jason either. If FSU wins out, there's no way an undefeated National Champion (undefeated last year too) misses out on the tournament, especially as it is the only undefeated team in the country (with apologies and kudos to Marshall). No chance.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Jeff H

Default Fsu

The way I see it is FSU is in if they win out(nobody left on their schedule should beat them).
The SEC champion is in if that team is from the SEC West(or Georgia even with 2 losses).
Oregon, TCU, Baylor, and a one loss team from the SEC West will fight it out for the final two spots assuming these teams end with only one loss.
I don't see a BIG 10 team making it in without all the stars aligning perfectly.
Let's face it, the SEC is the toughest football conference in college. I would not be shocked if two teams from the SEC made it to the playoff.
All this from a fan that would like nothing better than to see a BIG 10 team win it all.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
I can't understand how any football fan would want the strongest conference in the nation to beat themselves out of having a rep in the 'final 4'. If possible for it to even occur, which I don't think it is, such a scenario would take away from the legitimacy of the title-winner.

At this point I think Oregon and Alabama are the only definites. Florida State has proven they can be outscored until late in the game, by not-so-great teams. If Florida has a lead late, I think they hold it.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I can't understand how any football fan would want the strongest conference in the nation to beat themselves out of having a rep in the 'final 4'.
Because I am tired of the SEC. I understand they are the best conference. I don't believe they are head and shoulders above every other conference. I am also sick of every SEC lover telling me that when a very mediocre A&M team beats Auburn that it's because they are all so great, but when Arizona beats Oregon, or Ohio State beats Michigan State, that it's because they just weren't that good to begin with.

I'm also tired of them playing sisters of the poor for their non-conference games and everyone excuses it because, "the conference schedule is such a grind". When it happens in other conferences, people talk about the weakness of the schedule.

A&M and Mizzou weren't super awesome when they were in the Big12, but they did fine moving over to the SEC. Did they get that much better overnight? Or was the SEC maybe not soooo much better then every other conference?

/end rant
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Because I am tired of the SEC. I understand they are the best conference. I don't believe they are head and shoulders above every other conference. I am also sick of every SEC lover telling me that when a very mediocre A&M team beats Auburn that it's because they are all so great, but when Arizona beats Oregon, or Ohio State beats Michigan State, that it's because they just weren't that good to begin with.

I'm also tired of them playing sisters of the poor for their non-conference games and everyone excuses it because, "the conference schedule is such a grind". When it happens in other conferences, people talk about the weakness of the schedule.

A&M and Mizzou weren't super awesome when they were in the Big12, but they did fine moving over to the SEC. Did they get that much better overnight? Or was the SEC maybe not soooo much better then every other conference?

/end rant
Very well said and excellent points.

I think the SEC is way overrated.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 11-17-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

You know, over the last few years I have heard so many people tell me I am pompous that I was starting to believe it;however, you make very good points, and I can totally see them...so maybe I'm not really pompous?

Your points are certainly valid, but here is my response to each:

Quote:
Because I am tired of the SEC. I understand they are the best conference. I don't believe they are head and shoulders above every other conference.
I get that. When A&M (my alma-mater) was in the SW Conference, I got sick of hearing the same about the Big-[insert #] conferences being so fantastic. They were all stronger than us, but it still would have been nice to see them get screwed every now and then, even if it was unfair. I don't know how much better the SEC is than the other conferences, but they do have some great teams. If you enjoyed seeing FL. State beat Auburn, the legitimate champ of the SEC, last year, then you should enjoy seeing MORE SEC teams in the final 4 this year, and seeing ALL of them get taken down.

Quote:
I am also sick of every SEC lover telling me that when a very mediocre A&M team beats Auburn that it's because they are all so great, but when Arizona beats Oregon, or Ohio State beats Michigan State, that it's because they just weren't that good to begin with.
Sorry, but A&M isn't mediocre. They have glaring weaknesses, which exposes them against some teams, but their strengths shine against others. The problem is that they aren't balanced. That's a problem for a lot of teams lately - look at some of the dogfights we've seen this year - 82 points from one team? What the heck. Lots of huge-scoring games, lots of defensive weaknesses exposed. These days it's all about how you match up against any particular team.

Quote:
I hate that too. But the danger of doing that is that you might get beat, or played too close, which can kill you on strength of schedule. LA-Monroe almost beat A&M, but I agree that such teams shouldn't even be on the schedules of supposedly good teams. As far as other conferences, if you are in a conference that is perceived as being weak, then you better schedule one or two tough non-conference games. That's the game now - everyone knows it.

Quote:
Yes, they did. So did Auburn. Auburn sucked two years ago - I mean, really sucked. Now they are very good. A&M caught lightning in a bottle with Manziel two years ago - it was a freaky thing that allowed them to keep their offense on the field long enough to hide their defensive weaknesses. This year it took teams a few games to get adjusted to Kenny Hill, and then they pounded A&M's terrible defense. Auburn was another 'new quarterback' deal. It happens.

I haven't really followed Missouri much, but they did not get good overnight - their first year in the SEC was pretty horrible. Playing better teams, and having to prepare for them, makes you better. So now Missouri is better.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Alex

I'm an FSU alum and shocked that we haven't lost yet. That being said, if we go undefeated we deserve to be #1 - you have to beat the champ.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Rob Anderson

Thanks for the reply, Scott.

How about South Carolina? Every year I have to hear about how awesome they are, and every year they end up with 3 or 4 losses. Of course this is because it is so tough to win in the vaunted SEC. Arkansas, same thing. Georgia lost to Boise State a couple years ago in basically a home game. Boise State got little credit because it was all gimmicks, trick plays, and Georgia just had a bad day.

Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Arkansas are free wins this year.

I don't think LSU is a top 25 team, but they are what? 17th? How is that possible? They have 4 losses, and are below .500 in the SEC. They were lucky to get by Wisconsin (how does Gordon only get 5 touches in the second half after rushing for 170 in the first half?), but some great wins against Sam Houston St., Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico St., Florida (having a horrible year) and Kentucky. They have 2 decent wins. How are they 17th again? And every team that beats them gets a power ranking boost for beating a "top team".

As far as A&M being a really good team, I don't buy it. They have one quality win. Auburn, and they needed to fumble recoveries in the last 3 minutes to hang on to that one. I am not giving them quality win credit for beating South Carolina. Sorry, can't do it.

Why don't we just rank all the SEC teams in the top 25, and if one of them beats another one, we can just exchange their spot in the polls.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Scott.

How about South Carolina? Every year I have to hear about how awesome they are, and every year they end up with 3 or 4 losses. Of course this is because it is so tough to win in the vaunted SEC. Arkansas, same thing. Georgia lost to Boise State a couple years ago in basically a home game. Boise State got little credit because it was all gimmicks, trick plays, and Georgia just had a bad day.

Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Arkansas are free wins this year.

I don't think LSU is a top 25 team, but they are what? 17th? How is that possible? They have 4 losses, and are below .500 in the SEC. They were lucky to get by Wisconsin (how does Gordon only get 5 touches in the second half after rushing for 170 in the first half?), but some great wins against Sam Houston St., Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico St., Florida (having a horrible year) and Kentucky. They have 2 decent wins. How are they 17th again? And every team that beats them gets a power ranking boost for beating a "top team".

As far as A&M being a really good team, I don't buy it. They have one quality win. Auburn, and they needed to fumble recoveries in the last 3 minutes to hang on to that one. I am not giving them quality win credit for beating South Carolina. Sorry, can't do it.

Why don't we just rank all the SEC teams in the top 25, and if one of them beats another one, we can just exchange their spot in the polls.
I understood your previous points, but now you just sound angry. The SEC is just another college football conference - it isn't worth getting so upset about. Besides, this 4-team playoff system should solve most of the problem with coming up with a legitimate champ.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-18-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Alex

Quote:
I understood your previous points, but now you just sound angry. The SEC is just another college football conference - it isn't worth getting so upset about. Besides, this 4-team playoff system should solve most of the problem with coming up with a legitimate champ.
I think the playoff will prove to be a better idea than in practice.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:

Arkansas, same thing.
Either this is hyperbole, out of context, or you're making stuff up. Arkansas has 1 conference win in the last 2 years. Nobody is talking about Arkansas being good on a national level. They're getting better. They're tough and physical. They're not a great team and haven't been since Bobby P fell off his motorcycle.

Last edited by Section103; 11-18-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I think the playoff will prove to be a better idea than in practice.
I think that with four teams, you probably have the best one somewhere in the mix, so it should solve the complaint that sometimes the best team is not the National Champion. At least with the new system, the best team will get a legitimate shot at it.

But I was very surprised when this 4-team playoff thing was sold as solving all the problems. The big problem now is the same one the NCAA basketball tourney faced. Bubble-teams would complain that they missed out on a shot, meaning that it was no longer about a National Champion, but rather, about getting more coverage and money for your team by simply getting in. So they expanded the field and the same thing happened. They expanded again, same thing....

The same thing will no-doubt occur with a 4-team football playoff. What about the 5th and 6th teams? If TCU, Mississipi and Baylor win out, two of those teams will be screaming "foul".

Last edited by Runscott; 11-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
I might be a little bitter. I am a fan of a team not in the SEC, so I feel there is no chance of ever seeing them in final 4.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Alex

Quote:
I think that with four teams, you probably have the best one somewhere in the mix, so it should solve the complaint that sometimes the best team is not the National Champion. At least with the new system, the best team will get a legitimate shot at it.

But I was very surprised when this 4-team playoff thing was sold as solving all the problems. The big problem now is the same one the NCAA basketball tourney faced. Bubble-teams would complain that they missed out on a shot, meaning that it was no longer about a National Champion, but rather, about getting more coverage and money for your team by simply getting in. So they expanded the field and the same thing happened. They expanded again, same thing....

The same thing will no-doubt occur with a 4-team football playoff. What about the 5th and 6th teams? If TCU, Mississipi and Baylor win out, two of those teams will be screaming "foul".
Perhaps. I think the AP and coaches polls would be better than this committee. It seems a little cloak and dagger to me.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Coaches have a serious conflict of interest, though.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Coaches have a serious conflict of interest, though.
That's true but why should Archie Manning (formerly) and Condoleezza Rice decide seeding?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Anyone knowledgeable and without a direct conflict of interest should be able to be part of the process. The general assumption is that these people know football. I have no knowledge to the contrary, do you?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
That's true but why should Archie Manning (formerly) and Condoleezza Rice decide seeding?
Agreed - seems like this committee's decisions will get even more blowback for decisions than previous ranking methods. But I think it was a good thing that they are doing weekly rankings and making a big deal about it. Their decisions are being questioned and debated each week, and that should result in people understanding the selection process better so that there won't be as much backlash by those who don't get selected.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
Either this is hyperbole, out of context, or you're making stuff up. Arkansas has 1 conference win in the last 2 years. Nobody is talking about Arkansas being good on a national level. They're getting better. They're tough and physical. They're not a great team and haven't been since Bobby P fell off his motorcycle.
Apparently beating a horrible Arkansas team by 1 doesn't hurt Alabama, but beating Kansas by 4 will knock TCU down in the polls.

From ESPN:

Mississippi State is followed by TCU, which slipped to No. 5 after a closer-than-expected win against Kansas on Saturday. Ohio State moved up two spots to No. 6, ahead of TCU's Big 12 rival Baylor.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...egon-ducks-top
Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

You aren't making much sense. Arkansas just shut out LSU. LSU should have beaten Alabama.

Minnesota is in the list, at the very bottom - ahead of both LSU and Arkansas,who aren't in it at all. Revel in that for a week and quit fixating on the SEC.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Alex

Quote:
Anyone knowledgeable and without a direct conflict of interest should be able to be part of the process. The general assumption is that these people know football. I have no knowledge to the contrary, do you?
I would agree that they know football. What seems off is that most (if not all) have close ties to major schools.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
I would agree that they know football. What seems off is that most (if not all) have close ties to major schools.
I think that's a fair criticism. I don't have an easy way around it as most everyone went somewhere (and in some cases) may even be closely associated with a university within their career. No matter who selects (coaches, committee, AP, etc), Im in favor of disclosing votes at an individual level for transparency purposes.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Apparently beating a horrible Arkansas team by 1 doesn't hurt Alabama, but beating Kansas by 4 will knock TCU down in the polls.

From ESPN:

Mississippi State is followed by TCU, which slipped to No. 5 after a closer-than-expected win against Kansas on Saturday. Ohio State moved up two spots to No. 6, ahead of TCU's Big 12 rival Baylor.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...egon-ducks-top
It wouldn't have been possible for Alabama to fall in the polls after the 1 point win to Arky because.......there was no CFP poll at that time. Im pretty sure Bama's ranking is considering their entire body of work - including that game. Personally, Im not convinced they're #1, but I absolutely believe they are top 4. Vegas, on the other hand, does absolutely believe they are #1. That's not bias, that's straight $ on the line.

Last edited by Section103; 11-19-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
It wouldn't have been possible for Alabama to fall in the polls after the 1 point win to Arky because.......there was no CFP poll at that time. Im pretty sure Bama's ranking is considering their entire body of work - including that game. Personally, Im not convinced they're #1, but I absolutely believe they are top 4. Vegas, on the other hand, does absolutely believe they are #1. That's not bias, that's straight $ on the line.
So who is #1?
  • Oregon? they have shown more glaring defensive weaknesses than any team in the top 7
  • Florida State? In a 4-team playoff, their inability to play football in the first half could get them knocked out in the 1st round. I doubt the come-backs they've staged against average teams will work against Alabama or Mississippi State.
  • Mississippi State? Alabama just beat them fairly soundly
  • TCU? I don't think they will even win out, but if they do, they lose the 1st playoff game
  • Ohio State? Possibly. A dark horse if they can get in.
  • Baylor? Another team with huge defense issues
Old 11-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Alex

Quote:
So who is #1?
  • Oregon? they have shown more glaring defensive weaknesses than any team in the top 7
  • Florida State? In a 4-team playoff, their inability to play football in the first half could get them knocked out in the 1st round. I doubt the come-backs they've staged against average teams will work against Alabama or Mississippi State.
  • TCU? I don't think they will even win out, but if they do, they lose the 1st playoff game
FSU mentally beats teams in the second half. In this way they remind me of Tyson in his prime, when people were scared to hit him.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
So who is #1?
My short answer is "I don't know". I think Alabama is a better team than Oregon by just a bit; but I also think Oregon has had a better season by just a bit. I don't know what to make of FSU. They start out slow against anyone in the FCS and they're done. I think all 3 of them clearly belong in the top 4 and could be placed in any order. I would probably lean UO, AL, FSU - but....whatever.

I have a much harder time with TCU, Baylor and Miss State for the 4 spot.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM
T0dd M@rcum

And still no sign of a 10-0 Thundering Herd that soundly beat a decent Rice team last week.Not saying we should be in the 4, but we certainly belong in the top 25.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Well, our discussion is at least as good as ESPN's.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
And still no sign of a 10-0 Thundering Herd that soundly beat a decent Rice team last week.Not saying we should be in the 4, but we certainly belong in the top 25.
I agree with that.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Jeff H

If I counted correctly, there are 10 FBS conferences. If the NCAA wants a real National Champion, they should invite only schools that won their conference. The teams could be ranked 1-10. The first week of the play-offs play the bottom four against each other. With eight teams left play 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7.... Winners keep playing until a champion is decided. Four weeks and all is won or lost on the field.
With a tournament like this there should be no complaining, you win your conference or stay home. If you want to be in the play-offs join a conference.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
My short answer is "I don't know". I think Alabama is a better team than Oregon by just a bit; but I also think Oregon has had a better season by just a bit. I don't know what to make of FSU. They start out slow against anyone in the FCS and they're done. I think all 3 of them clearly belong in the top 4 and could be placed in any order. I would probably lean UO, AL, FSU - but....whatever.

I have a much harder time with TCU, Baylor and Miss State for the 4 spot.
I think what hurts FSU as much as anything, is their team from last year. I consider them as one of the best teams of all time. With the exception of the National title game, they absolutely destroyed everybody. They average 54 points a game, and allowed around 10 points per game. I know the panel is
not supposed to consider things such as this, but I think it does happen to some degree....
Old 11-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I think what hurts FSU as much as anything, is their team from last year. I consider them as one of the best teams of all time. With the exception of the National title game, they absolutely destroyed everybody. They average 54 points a game, and allowed around 10 points per game. I know the panel is
not supposed to consider things such as this, but I think it does happen to some degree....
You have got to be kidding. They beat a bunch of seriously crappy teams, then barely beat Auburn. Last year was a down year for college football. Florida State is better this year, but so are a lot of other teams. The panel doesn't need to consider anything other than this year - another year where Florida State has played a bunch of mediocre teams.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:17 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
You have got to be kidding. They beat a bunch of seriously crappy teams, then barely beat Auburn. Last year was a down year for college football. Florida State is better this year, but so are a lot of other teams. The panel doesn't need to consider anything other than this year - another year where Florida State has played a bunch of mediocre teams.
Scott- you need to go back and look at the schedule from last year. They beat teams 80-14, 77-14, 59-3, 68-7, etc...If you think FSU is better this year than last year, I am in complete disbelief and shock. In addition, they had about 9 guys from last years team that went in the the draft. Sorry, but this is where we have to agree to disagree big time. Last years team was far superior, not even close...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-20-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Total draft, not 2 rounds...
Old 11-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

I did. They played a weak schedule. They were certainly worthy of their final ranking, but weak for a national champion.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2014, 04:22 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I did. They played a weak schedule. They were certainly worthy of their final ranking, but weak for a national champion.

As they have this year. My point is the difference in how they won games last year vs. this year. That's all the dumbass experts on ESPN want to talk about. It is not even close. Their defense last year was vastly better than this years defense, they completely dominated teams and got 3 and outs all throughout games....
Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
As they have this year. My point is the difference in how they won games last year vs. this year. That's all the dumbass experts on ESPN want to talk about. It is not even close. Their defense last year was vastly better than this years defense, they completely dominated teams and got 3 and outs all throughout games....
Okay, I see now what you are saying.

I have been watching the discussions each week since the rankings began, where they talk about how the panel members voted, and why. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), they seem logical and fair. I really don't think they are holding it against FL State that they aren't winning 'as big' this year. Also, they will be in the final 4 as long as they can get by Florida, and then they can prove that they deserve a repeat. And if they can't get by Florida, I don't they don't deserve to be in anyway.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Alex

Quote:
I have to disagree with you 100% on this year's team. Last year's team was much better, quite a few guys from that team are in the NFL.

The championship is another thing. The Noles shocked everyone with their level of play there. But a win is a win.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

I don't follow them closely - you are probably right. I gave this year's team credit for some strong comebacks, despite the fact that they shouldn't have gotten in those situations to begin with; however, I still don't consider last year's team to be a great one - all of the good teams last year had glaring flaws. Same thing this year - perhaps it is a trend we should get used to

Old 11-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Getting closer.......its pretty clear that FSU, Alabama and Oregon are in so long as they dont trip up in their championship games. Some pecking order will be set up between Baylor, TCU and Ohio State. I think this is the week you'll hear some heavy howling by #5 and #6. With that said, I have no complaints at all with the system so far.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Getting closer.......its pretty clear that FSU, Alabama and Oregon are in so long as they dont trip up in their championship games. Some pecking order will be set up between Baylor, TCU and Ohio State. I think this is the week you'll hear some heavy howling by #5 and #6. With that said, I have no complaints at all with the system so far.
Newsflash....Ga. Tech is probably going to beat FSU, and it pains me to say that....
Old 11-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Newsflash....Ga. Tech is probably going to beat FSU, and it pains me to say that....
Maybe. A part of me thinks FSU just hasnt been challenged or interested. We'll see. A lot of people are picking WI over OSU too.