NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-22-2020, 07:39 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan:

As I compare the your photo to the one on the card (somewhat side by side), I think they're both Oliver (mutton chops/mustache)...

About the Ron Jackson Crown card, I knew it wasn't him but as my collection grew & seeing his card un-signed in my binder, it was bugging me so I reached out to him to see if he would sign it with that inscription (I made a donation to a baseball camp for under privileged kids he was affiliated with).

Since I started this project well before the internet, it was somewhat challenging to get a hold of some of these players...

Just an example was that I couldn't get Dan Graham to respond (who knows if I had his correct address), anyways (long story) I was able to locate his mother of all people and she told me to send my card to her and that she'd see that he sign it (and he did!).

Since I had duplicates of these cards, I would always offer to send them one back if they wanted (which I think helped with responses too).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-22-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Alan Strout

Default Topps 3D Orioles Cards

As a kid, I loved the Kelloggs 3D cards. They were a nice change from the regular Topps cards each year. Little did I know then that Topps had 3D cards also. Topps produced a test set in 1968. There are a couple different backs. Most that I've seen are blank, but there are also some with info about the cards being not for resale or distribution.

Here is one card I own and one I wished I owned.

1968 Topps 3D Boog Powell (Blank backed)

1968 Topps 3D.jpg

Topps 3D Prototype of Brooks Robinson. I also enjoy being married so I passed on it when it came up for auction. Would lover to see it in person someday.

hugginsandscottauctions-1968-topps-3d-prototype-brooks-robinson-sgc15.jpg
Old 04-22-2020, 08:00 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Alan:

Since I started this project well before the internet, it was somewhat challenging to get a hold of some of these players...

Just an example was that I couldn't get Dan Graham to respond (who knows if I had his correct address), anyways (long story) I was able to locate his mother of all people and she told me to send my card to her and that she'd see that he sign it (and he did!).

Since I had duplicates of these cards, I would always offer to send them one back if they wanted (which I think helped with responses too).
Bill,

I appreciate all the effort you go through to get your items autographed. Maybe it's growing up in Maine and not having much access to players, but I never got passionate about getting a lot of my stuff autographed. I prefer to get items signed in person, so spring training is where I get most of my autographs. I also get many of them personalized to me. It seems to help get a little better autograph in these days of scribbles.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Topps 3D

Those Topps 3D cards are so cool. I think they are head and shoulders above the Kelloggs cards. The first 2 years of Kelloggs are interesting then they seemed to lose something.

Question I've wondered about. Do the Topps 3D cards have the same problem with bending and cracking over time? I don't recall ever seeing one that has the same issues as many Kelloggs.
At one time I had uncut sheets of the 1970 Kelloggs and 1972(?) Old Gold HOF 3D sets. I was young at the time and didn't appreciate what I had. But man those things rolled themselves up like a burrito!

Last edited by stevelucille; 04-22-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:47 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
The only printing plates I've ever seen for the vintage cards are from 1962. The others from the different years must have been destroyed after production or reused for different jobs.
I think they were all found together in Connecticut, possibly in the house of a printing plant employee. I posted about some on my blog five years ago, it gives some detail on how these entered the hobby but not the original source. I believe I got that info later. They had to be melted down for reuse, so survivors are scarce.

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2015/03/metal-shop.html

Last edited by toppcat; 04-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucille View Post

Question I've wondered about. Do the Topps 3D cards have the same problem with bending and cracking over time? I don't recall ever seeing one that has the same issues as many Kelloggs.
At one time I had uncut sheets of the 1970 Kelloggs and 1972(?) Old Gold HOF 3D sets. I was young at the time and didn't appreciate what I had. But man those things rolled themselves up like a burrito!
Steve,

I've only handled one 1968 Topps 3D and it's been awhile since I've had it out of it's case, but I think they're slightly thicker than the Kelloggs cards. I've stored my 1968 card in a screw down case for many years with no issues yet. I've also been lucky with my Kelloggs cards. I store them in Ultra Pro sheets and they have stayed flat and haven't cracked. I just collect Orioles cards, so the cards in pages around the Kelloggs cards are regular cardboard. I not sure if that has helped keeping them uncracked and flat. I have heard people from humid areas of the country complain about their Kelloggs cards curling. I assume getting them stored before they start to curl goes a long way to preserving them.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

I have to admit that I've never seen that Brooks Crown card set ad sign previously (looks like they would have been placed above the pumps)..Very nice..

When that set came out in 1991, there were 502 cards in the set and by my count at the time, 450 of the players were still living.

Being an Orioles autograph guy, I decided to get them signed with my "goal" at the time to get at least 400 of them auto'd (I pretty much started my project as the cards were released).

Well here I sit today with 445 of the cards signed:
Man, that is awesome Bill. I can't even imagine trying to do what you've accomplished.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:50 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucille View Post
Those Topps 3D cards are so cool. I think they are head and shoulders above the Kelloggs cards. The first 2 years of Kelloggs are interesting then they seemed to lose something.

I may be incorrect, but I thought they were both made by XOGRAPH.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I think they were all found together in Connecticut, possibly in the house of a printing plant employee. I posted about some on my blog five years ago, it gives some detail on how these entered the hobby but not the original source. I believe I got that info later. They had to be melted down for reuse, so survivors are scarce.
Dave,

Thanks for the information on the plates; interesting read. I know the 1962 Topps plates are the only ones I've ever seen on the vintage cards.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:41 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I may be incorrect, but I thought they were both made by XOGRAPH.
They were both done by XOGRAPH. I just pulled my 1968 Topps 3D Boog Powell out of the case and you can disregard my earlier statement. They feel the same thickness to me.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

Early 80's game used Orioles helmet with ear flap for a left handed batter (player unknown).

Orioles helmet.jpg
Old 04-23-2020, 02:02 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 114 (April 23, 2020 – 114)

The Sunday News Family Weekly is a newspaper insert and pictures a young Brooks in a very cool, color, batting stance photo. The Family weekly is dated April 23, 1972 with the article entitled, “Family Weekly’s All Stars”.

Family Weekly Sunday News April 23, 1972

Day 114 a.jpg
Old 04-23-2020, 06:24 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Clint...I love those style batting helmets! can you at least see an outline of a number on the bill?

Mark...Love that Family Weekly publication but it's crazy that they used a photo of Brooks that appears to be like nine years old!

Here is a neat LeRoy Neiman 1984 framed poster of Mike Boddicker (signed by Mike):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-23-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 AM
Alan Strout

Default Rochester Red Wings photos

Rochester NY has long been associated with the Eastman Kodak Company. In what I can best guess is 1994 and 1995, they sponsored some very nice 4x6 color photos of the Rochester Red Wings. On the back of the photos is stamped Eastman Kodak. I don't know much more about these, but assume they might have been stadium giveaways. Maybe our Rochester connections can provide more information.

I would love to get a complete checklist together of these photos at some point. I have 1 photo from 1994 and 16 photos from 1995.

Bruce Dostal (1994) ??

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 09.jpg

All of these photos I believe are from 1995, except for the Greg Biagini. That photo isn't stamped on the back and is probably from 1989-1991.

Joe Borowski and Greg Biagini

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 01.jpg

Curtis Goodwin and Paul Carey

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 02.jpg

Scott Klingenbeck and Jimmy Haynes

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 03.jpg

Scott McClain and Mark Lee

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 04.jpg

Jimmy Myers and Kevin McGehee

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 05.jpg

Brian Sackinsky and Rod Robertson

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 06.jpg

Brad Tyler and John Shea

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 07.jpg

Gregg Zaun and Tyrone Woods

Rochester Red Wings (Eastman Kodak) 08.jpg

All of these guys, except Scott McClain, Rod Robertson, Brad Tyler, John Shea and Tyrone Woods, played for the Orioles at some point.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Clint

Bill, there’s no outline of a number. The bill looks like it was sanded or was somehow scratched up. Maybe they did this to reuse? That’s a great Neiman, I’ve never seen it before.

Mark, that Family Weekly pub is cool, I haven’t seen it either.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:34 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Clint...I love those style batting helmets! can you at least see an outline of a number on the bill?

Mark...Love that Family Weekly publication but it's crazy that they used a photo of Brooks that appears to be like nine years old!

Here is a neat LeRoy Neiman 1984 framed poster of Mike Boddicker (signed by Mike):
While I wasn’t always the biggest fan of Neiman’s style this one of Boddicker looks pretty nice. Auto makes it even better...
Old 04-23-2020, 03:41 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Red Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Rochester NY has long been associated with the Eastman Kodak Company. In what I can best guess is 1994 and 1995, they sponsored some very nice 4x6 color photos of the Rochester Red Wings. On the back of the photos is stamped Eastman Kodak. I don't know much more about these, but assume they might have been stadium giveaways. Maybe our Rochester connections can provide more information.

I would love to get a complete checklist together of these photos at some point. I have 1 photo from 1994 and 16 photos from 1995.

All of these guys, except Scott McClain, Rod Robertson, Brad Tyler, John Shea and Tyrone Woods, played for the Orioles at some point.
Alan,

Those are very professional looking photos. Can you picture one of the backs so I can view the type of Kodak stamp?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:51 AM
M@rk Comer

Today Clint has another 80's Oriole helmet, left handed batter, with no player identification. I'm a definite fan of this type of helmet.

You can see that the bird is a sticker. What year/years did the Orioles have the white panel front helmets with the bird painted on rather than a sticker?

Helmet.jpg
Old 04-24-2020, 12:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 3-D

Day 115 (April 24, 2020 – 115)

We were just talking about 3-D cards so why not post the '75 Kellogg's Brooksie example.

The Kellogg’s cards in 1975 went a bit smaller than in the past. For ’75 they were 2 1/8”x 3 1/4” in size. I’m a fan of the 3-D cards; I’m not a fan of them cracking…

I have pictured a 1975 Brooks Robinson #18 that is blank backed. I’ll also picture the normal back to one '75 Brooks 3-D cards as well.

1975 3-D #18 front/blank back

Day 115 a 1975 Kellogg's 3-D blank back.jpg
Day 115 b 1975 Kellogg's 3-D blank back back.jpg

1975 3-D #18 back

Day 115 c 1975 Kellogg's 3-D back.jpg

I also have a 1975 Kellogg’s progressive proof

Day 115 1975 Kellogg's #18 Proof.jpg
Old 04-24-2020, 04:09 AM

I like the 3D cards too.Not sure why Brooks wasn’t included in the 71 set. I also a like the 73 Kellogg’s even though they weren’t 3D. For the longest time as a kid my 1973 Kellogg’s Lou Brock was one of my favorite cards. How cool was it to pull a card out of a box of cereal? (Frosted Flakes) ...no wonder I have so many cavities in my mouth!
The card was always at the very bottom of the box too!
Old 04-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

Those are very professional looking photos. Can you picture one of the backs so I can view the type of Kodak stamp?
I'll have to post the backs when I get back to Maine. I'll have access to many more items then. We head back the second week of May, hopefully.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:35 AM
Alan Strout

Default CPI Bowie BaySox Photos

Yesterday, I shared some photos from the Rochester Red Wings. Today are some photos from the Orioles AA team, the Bowie BaySox. My research leads me to believe these are from 1995-1997. They are 4x6 photos, but not as high quality as the Rochester Red Wings photos. They are sponsored by CPI Photo. I'm not sure if that's a local Bowie business or the nation wide company that is known for doing yearly photos of school children. We all remember dressing up our kids for that perfect photo at school and not always loving the photos we got back.

I assume the photos were stadium giveaways. I've cataloged them by style and when the players appeared for the BaySox to come up with the 1995-1997 estimate. As always, additional info, corrections or checklists are appreciated.

1995 Photos (I only have one of the eight)

1995 Bowie BaySox (Millares, JoseCPI Photo).jpg

1996 Photos

1996 Bowie BaySox (CPI Photo) 01.jpg 1996 Bowie BaySox (CPI Photo) 02.jpg 1996 Bowie BaySox (CPI Photo) 03.jpg 1996 Bowie BaySox (CPI Photo) 04.jpg
1996 Bowie BaySox (CPI Photo) 05.jpg

1997 Photos

1997 Bowie BaySox (CPI Photo) 01.jpg
Old 04-24-2020, 08:35 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Day 115 (April 24, 2020 – 115)

We were just talking about 3-D cards so why not post the '75 Kellogg's Brooksie example.

The Kellogg’s cards in 1975 went a bit smaller than in the past. For ’75 they were 2 1/8”x 3 1/4” in size. I’m a fan of the 3-D cards; I’m not a fan of them cracking…

I have pictured a 1975 Brooks Robinson #18 that is blank backed. I’ll also picture the normal back to one '75 Brooks 3-D cards as well.

1975 3-D #18 front/blank back

Attachment 396186
Attachment 396187

1975 3-D #18 back

Attachment 396188

I also have a 1975 Kellogg’s progressive proof

Attachment 396189
Mark,

I really like your Kelloggs cards. I've always been a Kelloggs fan for a few reasons. If you want to put together Orioles team sets, the Kelloggs sets are fairly easy. If you like a challenge, putting together Kelloggs team sets with all the variations can take years.. I'm still looking for the 1979 Mike Flanagan 1st printing with 57 SO on the back.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:44 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark...

Love that Brooks' Kelloggs Proof Card (never seen any, let alone Brooks!)...

There was a tough oddball/test issue from Topps back in 1997 called "ProShooters Marbles." There were 60 plastic marbles in the set (the checklists are collectible as well) and the rumor was that they were distributed in Canada.

Here is the Cal Ripken Jr. marble and checklist (with him pictured):

Old 04-24-2020, 12:13 PM
Clint

Quote:

Today Clint has another 80's Oriole helmet, left handed batter, with no player identification. I'm a definite fan of this type of helmet.

You can see that the bird is a sticker. What year/years did the Orioles have the white panel front helmets with the bird painted on rather than a sticker?

Attachment 396185
Mark the first white panel helmets were painted in 1975. Not sure how long they were used but probably into the late 70’s. The one thing for sure is the Orioles helmets of the 60’s and 70’s were very inconsistent. Sometimes the Oriole was painted very professionally and others not so much.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Alan Strout

Default RIP Steve Dalkowski

Just found out that Steve Dalkowski passed away on April 19th. Some consider him the fastest pitcher ever. He just could never find the strike enough to live up to his potential.

A few Steve Dalkowski items

1961 and 1963 Scrapbook cards

1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Dalkowski, Steve).jpg 1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Dalkowski, Steve).jpg

1963 Team Issued 8x10 Photo and Postcard

Dalkowski, Steve 1.jpg 1963 Postcards 03 - Copy.JPG

Don Wingfield 8x10 Photo

Dalkowski, Steve (Don Wingfield).jpg
Old 04-24-2020, 05:52 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark...

Love that Brooks' Kelloggs Proof Card (never seen any, let alone Brooks!)...

There was a tough oddball/test issue from Topps back in 1997 called "ProShooters Marbles." There were 60 plastic marbles in the set (the checklists are collectible as well) and the rumor was that they were distributed in Canada.

Here is the Cal Ripken Jr. marble and checklist (with him pictured)
That’s a marble? Doesn’t look like one... Does look cool though!
Old 04-24-2020, 08:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Just found out that Steve Dalkowski passed away on April 19th. Some consider him the fastest pitcher ever. He just could never find the strike enough to live up to his potential.
Sad news Alan. Thanks for sharing the news and some of his pictures.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:17 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 116 (April 25, 2020 – 116)

Here’s one for you Scott (quitcrab). I finally dug out a piece made by the same company that made the odd-ball baseball lacing needle you pictured in post #109. While the box is rough, I really like these types of odd-ball items. This was made by Ajay and is a “Professional Shatterproof Flip-Up Sunglasses” endorsed by Brooks Robinson. I remember wearing a pair like this when I was playing ball back in the day, but I think mine were of better quality (at least that’s how I remember it).

Speaking of flip-up sunglasses; I went all in, at least for me, on a pair of games used, flip-up Brooks Robinson sunglasses, in Heritage Auctions. I wanted them bad but came up short. I was disappointed at the time, but you can’t win ‘em all.

Day 116 a Ajay Sports Flip-up sunglasses front.jpg
Day 116 b Ajay Sports Flip-up sunglasses back.jpg

A Brooks Robinson endorsed rosin bag just in case you need a improve your grip or to keep your hands dry.

Day 116 c Ajay Sports Rosin bag.jpg
Old 04-25-2020, 06:26 AM

Wow Mark
Never have seen either of those. We have to find you a lacing needle! I wonder if any other items exist? Bat donut, spoil of rawhide for relaxing gloves, batting glove or a ball and strike counter ....
Old 04-25-2020, 07:30 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

A few more promotional photos. The first four are 8x10 while the last four are smaller.

Brooks Robinson (Sports Illustrated)

Robinson, Brooks (Sports Illustrated).jpg

John Orsino (Wilson Sporting Goods)

Orsino, John (Wilson Sporting Goods).jpg

Ken Singleton (Sears)

Singleton, Ken (Sears).jpg

Gene Woodling (Diebold)

Woodling, Gene (Diebold).jpg

Earl Weaver (Advanced Auto Parts)

Weaver, Earl (Advance Auto Parts).jpg

Kevin Kennedy (The Sports Scene)

1979 Kennedy, Kevin (Rochester R.WingsGold Glove).jpg

Jeffrey Hammonds (Caldor) and Mike Flanagan (Home Team Sports)

SCAN3946.jpg
Old 04-25-2020, 07:43 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Ad Slick for the C&P Yellow Pages signed (up top) by actor James Earl Jones & Cal Ripken Jr.:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-26-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
A few more promotional photos. The first four are 8x10 while the last four are smaller.
Alan,

I really like the rarely seen promotional photos. Thanks for sharing so many of those, with different Orioles, in the thread.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:17 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Ad sheet for the C&P Yellow Pages signed by actor James Earl Jones & Cal Ripken Jr.:
Well that's odd AND cool! How did you come across this item?
Old 04-25-2020, 06:31 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Well that's odd AND cool! How did you come across this item?
Mark:

While the promotion was ongoing, I wrote C&P Telephone & they generously had their ad agency send me a VHS tape of their commercials with JEJ & Cal as well as this ad slick.....

A few years after the fact, I saw that Jones signed TTM and sent the slick to him to sign, then added Cal

Does anyone remember their TV commercials? They were filmed at Memorial Stadium...........
Old 04-26-2020, 04:40 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

While the promotion was ongoing, I wrote C&P Telephone & they generously had their ad agency send me a VHS tape of their commercials with JEJ & Cal as well as this ad slick.....

A few years after the fact, I saw that Jones signed TTM and sent the slick to him to sign, then added Cal

Does anyone remember their TV commercials? They were filmed at Memorial Stadium...........
Thanks for the background. Such a cool and unique item for sure.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 AM
M@rk Comer

Default "Bat Man"

Day 117 (April 26, 2020 – 117)

If I’m not mistaken this picture is from a home game between the Orioles and the California Angels on April 26, 1966. The picture shows Brooks on-deck with Frank Robinson in the background up to the plate and the Orioles bat boy on one knee. The batboy in the picture is Bob Scherr wearing the uniform with “BAT MAN” on the back. Bob was the Orioles batboy from 1964 to 1967 and I like how the caption relates to “BAT MAN” the current popular television show which first aired in January of 1966. Bob was also called “MAN” because he was as tall as some of the players. Just a cool picture in my view.

1966 Wire Photo

Day 117 a.jpg
Day 117 b.jpg
Old 04-26-2020, 07:44 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

I thought I would change things up a bit today. Here are a few team issued postcards and promotional photos featuring the ladies. I don't know much about the Miss Oriole promotion, but I have only seen items from 1983-1988.

1986 and 1990 Orioles team issued postcards (There is also one from 1988 that I don't have). Even though the postcards look different sizes in the scans, they are both 3x5 postcard size.

1986 Postcards 07 - Copy.jpg 1990 Postcards 09 - Copy.jpg

Miss Oriole 8x10 Promotional Photos

Miss Oriole 1983 (Kathy Lioi).jpg

Miss Oriole 1985 (Teresa David).jpg

Miss Oriole 1986 (Kimberly Kline).jpg

Miss Oriole 1987 (Bonnie Lorber).jpg

Miss Oriole Schedule Poster (I also have one from 1988 somewhere)

s-l1600.jpg
Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan:

I've never seen those postcards before...Here is a random picture I took in 1985 of an Orioles ballgirl spinning a child during the 7th Inning Stretch (can you imagine that being done in 2020??).

I'm thinking that the Miss Orioles' represented the team at local community events or taverns (they were sponsored by Busch Beer) to drum up interest in the club.

As an aside, a couple of those Miss Orioles' married Oriole players (Kathy Lioi at one time was married to Bill Swaggerty & Bonnie Lorber is married to John Habyan).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-26-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:34 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I thought I would change things up a bit today. Here are a few team issued postcards and promotional photos featuring the ladies. I don't know much about the Miss Oriole promotion, but I have only seen items from 1983-1988.

1986 and 1990 Orioles team issued postcards (There is also one from 1988 that I don't have). Even though the postcards look different sizes in the scans, they are both 3x5 postcard size.

Miss Oriole Schedule Poster (I also have one from 1988 somewhere)
Alan,

I haven’t seen those postcards either. Those are pretty neat. I like the poster as well especially with the calendar included.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:35 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Alan:

I've never seen those postcards before...Here is a random picture I took in 1985 of an Orioles ballgirl spinning a child during the 7th Inning Stretch (can you imagine that being done in 2020??).

I'm thinking that the Miss Orioles' represented the team at local community events or taverns (they were sponsored by Busch Beer) to drum up interest in the club.

As an aside, a couple of those Miss Orioles' married Orioles players (Kathy Lioi at one time was married to Bill Swaggerty & Bonnie Lorber is married to John Habyan).
That and imagine bat day!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Bill H@e1ig

In 1992, the Babe Ruth Museum held an exhibit related to the career of Cal Ripken Jr. that went from May to October....Here is a framed 2' x 3' broadside promoting that exhibit which were made to be posted at area MARC Train Stations. Fortunately, my buddy and I knew someone affiliated with the museum and they saved a couple for us:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-26-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan:

Bill,

I'm thinking the girl in your photo is the same one on the 1986 postcard.

Quote:

As an aside, a couple of those Miss Orioles' married Orioles players (Kathy Lioi at one time was married to Bill Swaggerty & Bonnie Lorber is married to John Habyan).
That is very interesting. I did not know that...

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 04-26-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

I thinking the girl in your photo is the same one on the 1986 postcard.

As I look closer to the date on the back of the photo, it's dated May 1986 (so it probably is!).
Old 04-26-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Orioles photos

Here are some early to mid-1960s snapshots. Looks like most were taken at Yankee Stadium.

Who is the player at top middle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3269.jpg (73.1 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by horzverti; 04-26-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Here are some early to mid-1960s snapshots. Looks like most were taken at Yankee Stadium.

can you enlarge them a little larger?
Old 04-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
can you enlarge them a little larger?
Enlarged. Thanks Mark!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3270.jpg (74.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3271.jpg (77.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3272.jpg (73.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by horzverti; 04-26-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I have more Orioles snapshots but I am currently receiving a site error when I try to post. Those pics are mostly at Yankee Stadium. I’ll try again later.

Also, how do I enlarge the photo so that you can see them more clearly?
I find that putting them in your photos on a laptop/desktop computer then posting from there they show up larger. If I use my phone they are always small.

I love snapshots and it looks like you have some great ones there... Hope I get to see them a bit bigger.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:50 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

It looks like Larry Haney.

Haney, Larry 1.jpg
Old 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Enlarged. Thanks Mark!
Those snapshots are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing them.