NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 03-15-2020, 07:35 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default 1955 Topps All-American Tribute

It is a with complete sadness I post to the community the news of the passing of my best friend of 60 years. We were glued at the hip like twin brothers from 1960 until February 28, 2020. That said, he and his sets are memorialized now on the PSA Set Registry, rightfully so, in all four top positions.

AVS always had an eye for the best.

Current Finest

1 AVS Memorial AA Collection - Set One NEW 100.00% 9.36 10.48 10.48

2 AVS Memorial AA Collection - Set Two HOF 100.00% 9.03 9.63 9.63

3 AVS Memorial AA Collection - Set Three NEW 100.00% 8.94 9.41 9.41

4 AVS Memorial AA Collection - Set Four NEW 99.00% 8.78 9.12 8.91
Old 03-15-2020, 11:11 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default sorry

Very sorry for your loss. Could you please tell us his name and some more about him? Im sure many on this board would like to hear what you have to say. Again very sorry for your loss of your long time friend.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:52 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Thank You

Thanks for your response and kind words. It is funny, because all his years on the PSA Registry he wanted to remain anonymous. His first name was Allen, and this is our story (see link - only thru 2010 when the SMR article was published). Aside form the card world, I will summarize his story. He was a man's man, although he never drank, smoked, or touched drugs. He was single for 66 years, until 6 months ago when he wed his girlfriend of 25 years - doing the right thing for her - as she inherited much of his estate with little or no tax implications.

He was an incredible carpenter and cabinet maker, working in those industries after HS for about five years. He was almost a failing student in HS graduating with a 1.6 GPA. In the mid to late 70's he hitch-hiked and toured S. and L. America for three years, but in the middle of that hiatus, he found a way back to surprise me by showing up at my wedding in NYC. He then went to college getting a dual BS in Physiology of Exercise and Kinesiology while graduating with a 4.0 and honors. Then he got his Masters, again with a 4.0. In 1980 he and his Long Beach track mates qualified for the Lake Placid Olympics in the bobsled. He became a teacher and worked for LAUSD for 30 years - and at one time he was the highest paid PE Teacher and one of the highest salaried teachers ever in the history of LAUSD as he knew how to work the system and get about $75,000 of add-ons to his $75,000 salary (once tenured). He was one of the best salmon fisherman in all of Alaska, as every summer was spent catching daily limits of sockeyes on the Kenai Peninsula. He always shipped back 100's of pounds of filets, and generously gave them to any/all who desired them. I could embellish this thread with a thousand other incredible anecdotes and innuendos but if you care to read about the AA's click on the link...........

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ball-card-set/
Old 03-17-2020, 02:38 AM
Jeff P

Sorry to hear about the passing of your dear friend, Jim. I really like that you are memorializing him with this awesome set and your story.

Most of my post-war sets are raw as I like them that way but did put together the Topps AA set (Basic and Master) in PSA 8 a while back and am working on an autographed version of the set as well. They are just awesome cards!

From the many of us looking up the PSA ladder at your sets, it is really cool to hear some of the back story about your friend and your relationship with him.

jeff
Old 03-17-2020, 02:48 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I enjoyed reading about his collection. Larry

"Life At The Bottom of the 1955 Topps All American Set"
Old 03-18-2020, 11:06 AM

I am very sorry for your deep loss of a lifetime friend. This must be extremely hard. Thank you for creating this tribute to your buddy, Allen. When he finally knew what he wanted, Allen seemed to attack the matter powerfully and with a ferocious intensity, be it a degree, a meritorious position as a physical education instructor, an Olympic pursuit, a ravenous collector of a gorgeous set of trading cards, and finally marrying to provide the most for his wife. Quite a remarkable man. I extend to you over the net a strong brotherly hug. I am so sorry, man. --- Brian Powell

PS---While Leon discourages any discussion on religion, when I am deeply troubled, I go to prayer and read the Bible. My choices, of course, but then we weren't designed "to hang in there" all alone.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:32 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Thank you for those extremely kind words and support. Need more of your type in this world Brian.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:17 PM
John

I'm sorry for your loss. I remember that article well - as soon as I saw 4 sets, I figured it was a match.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:28 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I take my hat off to you for this incredible tribute to a man I wish I had the pleasure to have known. There is no doubt the world was made a better place simply by his presence in it. My condolences to you and the others who loved and cared for him so dearly.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:39 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default sorry

Thanks for the update.....wow what an incredible friend, just goes to show you never know whats inside someone...... so cool that as he was schlepping around South America he still made it to your wedding! What a guy!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Lucky Larry's Hickman

Quote:
"Life At The Bottom of the 1955 Topps All American Set"
Lucky Larry - I've seen many a #1 Hickman card but yours is pretty singular in stature. Is that red blob on the left border a gargantuan Print Defect or a Twizzler stain?
Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I'm going with the "Twizzler Stain"
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
Lucky Larry - I've seen many a #1 Hickman card but yours is pretty singular in stature. Is that red blob on the left border a gargantuan Print Defect or a Twizzler stain?