NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Jon Canfield

Default Anyone Collect Non-Sports (Political, etc) Autographs?

I am an avid autograph collector and like to dable in non-sports autographs as well. Does anyone else collect anything similar?

Ed White - killed in the tragic Apollo 1 fire

A few JFK signatures (all authenticated by JSA)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Clayton

Default I've been collecting strange things........

Lately,in my trips to antique malls,I've been looking for postcards from the early 1900's,and just got this one last week.The others that were postmarked between 1905-1908 had a one cent stamp on them.This one has no writing on it,but you can see where the stamp goes,it says one cent....
By the way,those are some special auto's you have,you are very lucky to have those
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clayton's Cards 099.jpg (71.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton's Cards 098.jpg (71.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 PM

I've had non-sport autographs, including Politics and Hollywood, and my favorites are science Nobel Prize winners. Getting a JS Bach, Beethoven or Mozart would be totally awesome. I'd also be interested in a Gia Carangi.

Last edited by drc; 12-10-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Guilty. I collect entertainment, politics and generally of people who I find interesting or admirable. Here are a few:

Ronald Speirs was a United States Army officer who served in the U.S. 101st Airborne Division during World War II. He was initially a platoon leader in Company D (Dog Company) of the 2nd Battalion of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. Speirs parachuted into Normandy on June 6, 1944 (or D-Day) and quickly met with fellow troops after landing. He assembled a small group of soldiers to assist during the Brecourt Manor Assault, where he single-handedly captured the fourth 105mm Howitzer. Speirs was reassigned to command E or Easy Company in Bastogne at the end of the Battle of the Bulge. When the attack on the German-occupied town of Foy bogged down due to the poor leadership of its commander, Speirs successfully took over the assault and led Easy Company to victory. He was reassigned as commanding officer of Easy Company and remained in that position for the rest of the war. Ronald Speirs was a legend to his fellow soldiers during World War II because of rumors that he had shot twenty to thirty prisoners of war on D-Day. It is rumored that he gave the prisoners cigarettes, gave them a light, and then shot all but one of them. Speirs also shot a sergeant in one of his squads for disobeying a direct order in combat, saving the lives of many other men. Speirs did report this incident to his commanding officer, however, that officer was killed in action the next day and the incident was never pursued at any level. Following service in command of a rifle company in Korea, Speirs attended a Russian language course in 1956 and was assigned as a liaison officer to the Red Army in Potsdam, East Germany. In 1958 he became the American Governor of the Spandau Prison in Berlin, where Nazi war criminals were imprisoned.

William Guarnere joined Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, to fight in World War II. He made his first combat jump on D-Day as part of the Allied invasion of France. Guarnere received the Silver Star for combat during the Brecourt Manor Assault on D-Day, and was later decorated with two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts. He earned the nickname Wild Bill because he fiercely attacked the Germans he came into combat with. He hated the Germans because he learned on the eve of D-Day that his brother, Henry, had been killed fighting the German Army in the Italian campaign at Monte Cassino. While recovering from injuries, he absented himself from his hospital to rejoin Easy Company just before the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. He lost his right leg in that battle while trying to help his wounded friend Joe Toye (who could not get up because he had also lost his right leg). In his autobiography entitled Beyond Band of Brothers; Memoirs of Major Richard Winters, Richard Winters respectfully referred to two men in Easy Company as being natural killers: Ronald Speirs and Wild Bill Guarnere.

Bios from Wikipedia.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-11-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Jim Murphy

Default Romney

All politics aside, I attend a rally today in the Philadelphia area for Mitt Romney. As is their custom now after the speech he went around the stage area and signed autographs. I waited with a Major League Baseball and had a ballpoint with me but was told by the SS to put the pen away as the Gov carried his own pen. As he came closer I saw he had a sharpie and guessed that is how it was going to be. As I handed him the baseball he turned to a staff person and said, "Baseball, please give me a ballpoint".

Points to him for knowing the right way of signing a baseball
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
All politics aside, I attend a rally today in the Philadelphia area for Mitt Romney. As is their custom now after the speech he went around the stage area and signed autographs. I waited with a Major League Baseball and had a ballpoint with me but was told by the SS to put the pen away as the Gov carried his own pen. As he came closer I saw he had a sharpie and guessed that is how it was going to be. As I handed him the baseball he turned to a staff person and said, "Baseball, please give me a ballpoint".

Points to him for knowing the right way of signing a baseball
Yes, definite points for Mitt knowing how to sign a baseball. Very cool.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Funny Men:

Eric Idle [got it in person]:

Benny Hill:

Sam Kinison:

Woodie Allen [on check back]:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.