NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 02-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Default Basketball Project...Input requested for card design

Guys,
Last November I started an interesting project. Basketball cards have had a very sporadic history, to say the least.
From 1958 until the late 60's, Topps abandoned hoops. Probably for the same reason that I don't make too many--they don't sell. Still, I enjoy them. I have begun small fantasy sets beginning with an 8-card run of 58-59 and a 5-card run of 59-60. Another small batch to represent 60-61 is due out soon. Basically, these are "what they may have looked like cards".
I took into consideration what execs may have been thinking given successes/failures they had experienced and what production techniques were available. While we enjoy the challenge of Topps '57 set today--it was NOT popular at all that year. Topps scrapped it the following year leaving us a major void in that end of the sportscard genre.
CARD DESIGN...
I figured to build some awareness of the expanding league, they would have featured large logos and try to build some familiarity with the visual aspects of the court. Next, they needed to "personalize" the players. Make the faces friendly and marketable as most fans had never seen these guys up close; hence the photos featuring their close-ups. The '58 set was born.
What would you suggest for elements of a 1960-1961 design?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basketball 2small.jpg (79.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:59 PM

Default Super Cool

Really like this what a great idea

Best

Barry
Old 02-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwilson2 View Post
Really like this what a great idea

Best

Barry
Thank you Barry! Here's what the 1960-1961 series (5 cards) will look like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan301.jpg (72.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's pretty cool.

I'd put the action shot in the larger space, but it works either way.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Design

Phil,

I don't know what interest there would be but.......I wouldn't mind seeing a Post Cereal basketball card based on one of the 60's design.