NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2024, 07:20 AM
Moonshot Moose's Avatar
Moonshot Moose Moonshot Moose is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Scranton , PA
Posts: 186
Default 1970 Grateful Dead Promo poster

Hi, Everyone - My wife's uncle had gotten this from a record store in the 1970s, and I was wondering if anyone has contact to help me get more info on it.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3326_edited.jpg (214.2 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2024, 09:53 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,836
Default

Here is a link to a recent auction.
https://rockposters.com/products/auc...46605352698135
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2024, 10:02 AM
Moonshot Moose's Avatar
Moonshot Moose Moonshot Moose is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Scranton , PA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here is a link to a recent auction.
https://rockposters.com/products/auc...46605352698135
Thanks that was the only one I can find too.
The one I have is more card stock style too it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2024, 10:40 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot Moose View Post
Thanks that was the only one I can find too.
The one I have is more card stock style too it seems.
When I done the google picture search it seems to be a very popular picture used for several things. I did notice I only found the other poster pic with the WB logo on it.

I have only had a few real concert advertising posters I got directly from the place displaying them after concerts in the 80s. They were all on thin card stock and not poster paper.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2024, 01:05 PM
Cliff Bowman's Avatar
Cliff Bowman Cliff Bowman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near Atlanta
Posts: 2,537
Default

Unless Mickey Hart wasn’t available for the photo shoot I think the photo is more likely mid 1971, Hart left the band in very early 1971 because his Dad embezzled money from the band and he was on heroin. Keith Godchaux joined in late 1971. My favorite Grateful Dead story is Pigpen getting busted for heavy drugs which he didn’t even do, he was in the hotel room when the cops burst in on the group members.
__________________
“interesting to some absolute garbage to others.” —- “Error cards and variations are for morons, IMHO.”
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2024, 04:46 PM
Moonshot Moose's Avatar
Moonshot Moose Moonshot Moose is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Scranton , PA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Unless Mickey Hart wasn’t available for the photo shoot I think the photo is more likely mid 1971, Hart left the band in very early 1971 because his Dad embezzled money from the band and he was on heroin. Keith Godchaux joined in late 1971. My favorite Grateful Dead story is Pigpen getting busted for heavy drugs which he didn’t even do, he was in the hotel room when the cops burst in on the group members.
Thanks so maybe a 1971 image used on a concert poster?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2024, 12:06 PM
Moonshot Moose's Avatar
Moonshot Moose Moonshot Moose is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Scranton , PA
Posts: 186
Default

any insights?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2024, 12:40 PM
Lucas00's Avatar
Lucas00 Lucas00 is offline
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,829
Default

There's a Facebook group called Grateful dead poster collectors. Try there.
__________________
My Red Schoendienst collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/redsc...enstcollection

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2024, 02:00 PM
Cliff Bowman's Avatar
Cliff Bowman Cliff Bowman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near Atlanta
Posts: 2,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot Moose View Post
Thanks so maybe a 1971 image used on a concert poster?
I am by no means a Grateful Dead expert but I am somewhat familiar with them, the first thing that stuck out to me on the poster is that Mickey Hart wasn't present and he seems like the type to get out of his deathbed rather than miss a photo op, so I figured it must have been when he was asked to "voluntarily" leave the band. That was very early 1971, I think he came back in 1974. I looked at their 1970 and 1971 albums to see if that photo was used and I found it, it was the inset photo on their 1971 album 'Grateful Dead Live' AKA Skull & Roses which was a gatefold album, common at that time. The album was released in the fall of 1971, I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 grateful dead.jpg (193.7 KB, 31 views)
__________________
“interesting to some absolute garbage to others.” —- “Error cards and variations are for morons, IMHO.”

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 04-10-2024 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Omitted a word
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2024, 05:49 AM
Moonshot Moose's Avatar
Moonshot Moose Moonshot Moose is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Scranton , PA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I am by no means a Grateful Dead expert but I am somewhat familiar with them, the first thing that stuck out to me on the poster is that Mickey Hart wasn't present and he seems like the type to get out of his deathbed rather than miss a photo op, so I figured it must have been when he was asked to "voluntarily" leave the band. That was very early 1971, I think he came back in 1974. I looked at their 1970 and 1971 albums to see if that photo was used and I found it, it was the inset photo on their 1971 album 'Grateful Dead Live' AKA Skull & Roses which was a gatefold album, common at that time. The album was released in the fall of 1971, I believe.
Thanks this one is a large poster size on a card stock.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2024, 05:50 AM
Moonshot Moose's Avatar
Moonshot Moose Moonshot Moose is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Scranton , PA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
There's a Facebook group called Grateful dead poster collectors. Try there.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2024, 09:24 AM
aj406085 aj406085 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
There's a Facebook group called Grateful dead poster collectors. Try there.
He should be able to get atleast one from there!!.

Last edited by aj406085; 04-11-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS- lot of 12 original Grateful Dead photo daves_resale_shop Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T 0 08-20-2023 12:57 PM
Lot of 5 GRATEFUL DEAD pinbacks Added a Jerry Garcia pin .... ENDED AVAILABLE !! edtiques Live Auctions - Only 2-3 open, per member, at once. 2 01-30-2023 07:54 AM
Lot of 5 original grateful dead snapshots 1973/1979 daves_resale_shop Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T 2 07-10-2022 08:45 PM
Stan Musial Red heart promo poster??? Lucas00 Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 12 11-11-2021 01:01 PM
Grateful Dead vinyl (SOLD) SmokyBurgess Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T 2 07-15-2017 07:21 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.


ebay GSB