NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default The Mudville 9 E98 Orphan Project

Orphan- A card the general collecting public doesn’t want.

While reading the “VG is good enough” thread recently I was inspired to challenge myself to a little project.

I met another member on that thread, Andy “CobbSpikedMe” Huntoon, who became my Co-Conspirator on the project. The general feel of that thread was that “Hey, I don’t have a lot of money to buy the fancy stuff but these VG cards are awesome” And they were awesome, actually they were better than the fancy stuff because those cards had a story, they had history, they had Soul, their owners were proud to show them off and tell their stories.

So, I designed a challenge to see if it was feasible to collect a pre-war set on a budget.

I chose the E98 anonymous “set of 30” because of the glaring difference between Black Swamp Find cards and Original Circulation 98’s not only in condition but the types of collectors who collect them.

Here are the parameters I set:

Challenge: Build a one-color original circulation E98 set on a budget. I chose green.

Condition: No BSF cards allowed. Nothing above a 3 grade. Creases, edgewear, Grandpas spittle stains, some paper loss, all allowed. Tried to avoid any trimmed cards.

Budget: I allowed myself $250 average per card price. I had no idea if that was a realistic number.

Time: 6 weeks. I wanted this project to have a short timeline but it’s clear a collector on a budget could do this over a period of months or years.

Results:

18/30 cards including 13 Hall of Famers with an average per card price of $238.67

Observations:

1. My most important observation is how genuinely nice people are in this hobby, everybody I met was super supportive of the Project. I heard on more than one occasion “Hey, I think I know a guy that can help you”. It wasn’t about the money, it was about networking with other collectors and seeing what could come of the relationships, which in my humble opinion is way more valuable than the ability to “buy” the market. When I recently started collecting again and built my list of 300 I knew no one in the hobby, so meeting and networking with members here was a real treat for me during the project. You’re all still a bunch of scofflaws and ne’er-do-wells but pretty great folks as a whole.

2. I bought and traded cards from 7 different sources, buying my 1st E98 (Lajoie) on October 10th about a week +/- before the VG thread and my last one (Mack) on November 12th, (thanks Leon).

3. If you notice the handwritten “L” on the top border of the Lajoie and the “L” on the top border of the PSA McGraw (last attachment) it looks to me to be written by the same hand, so at one point these two cards were possibly together before, kinda neat.

4. The Matty looks beat up but the image is all there, there’s also a pretty clean wet sheet transfer if you look closely.

5. My hands down favorite card is Lionel’s Lajoie which I’m honored to have along with two Frank Nagy cards in this collection, I also had so much fun during the Project I think I’ll make a run at a complete set.

6. You may not be able to complete a whole set on a budget since there is always big boys you have to pay up for but it's clear to me you can still have a ton of fun on a budget in this hobby. After all, this hobby should be fun.

I’d like to thank member and Co-conspirator Andy Huntoon, member Mac Wubben, member Frank D'Angiolillo without whose help this project wouldn’t have happened. Also, a shout out to Al Crisafulli for a fun e-mail/phone exchange about the project. Thanks guys.

Enough chit chat, Here’s the cards…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img185.jpg (73.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg img186.jpg (72.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg img173.jpg (74.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg img187.jpg (73.3 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg img173 (2).jpg (73.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg img190.jpg (76.0 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg img125.jpg (75.9 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg img191.jpg (75.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg img192.jpg (76.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg img211.jpg (74.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Casey2296; 12-20-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added two images
Old 11-25-2020, 06:30 PM
Rich

Amazing! Great story and great job!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:36 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Those green backgrounds in the old SGC flips look great together. Beautiful project.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Love it Phil! It's so nice seeing them all together at once. I think my favorites are the Lionel Carter Lajoie and the Mack. That's a really nice Miner Brown too. It's been a blast helping you with this quest and I'm looking forward to your next one. Let's see how we do in REA!

Andy

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
Those green backgrounds in the old SGC flips look great together. Beautiful project.
Right? I'll never understand collectors who say "I don't care if they surround my card in hot pink" "as long as it grades".

Not sure how to do a shoulder shrug emoji but you get the point.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:45 PM

Really cool, and I love you chose to stick with one color, which makes it a much tougher endeavor
Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 PM
Pete S.

This thread reinforces my passion for this hobby. Great project. Amazing results. Insanely cool cards. Friends and connections made. You’re doing it all correct. Absolute A+ !!!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 PM
Anson

I really enjoyed this. The green backgrounds together look great!
Old 11-26-2020, 06:06 AM
P*ter Me@d

Great story--the Miner Brown E98 has always been near the top of my list.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:29 AM
Ethan

Default E98

Wonderful looking group! Congrats on your progress. I used your method years back to hunt down the E103 set. Now I am working on the 1952 Topps...still missing some high numbers, but not many. Having something to work on and look forward to getting is so much fun. Reminds me of when I was a kid...sending cards to players in the mail with a self addresses stamped envelope and having them actually come back. Gotta hand it to the letter carriers for their help in these times.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Ethan

Last edited by LincolnVT; 11-26-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:36 AM
Scott M.

Great idea for a project and awesome progress in such a short time. Don't stop now since you are more than halfway to the set!

Thanks for sharing and please do keep us posted if you decide to forge ahead with an all Green set.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:02 AM

Great thread and great cards. I know there have been a few threads talking about collecting VG cards for their history, including mine. Your cards were owned, handled, traded and loved by many children and adults during their lifetime. You're holding someone(s) personal history in your hands. Congratulations on an outstanding collection and recognition of what collecting is and should be all about.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Great thread and great cards. I know there have been a few threads talking about collecting VG cards for their history, including mine. Your cards were owned, handled, traded and loved by many children and adults during their lifetime. You're holding someone(s) personal history in your hands. Congratulations on an outstanding collection and recognition of what collecting is and should be all about.

Yes, I believe it was your thread that inspired me.

Last edited by Casey2296; 11-27-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Yes, I believe it was your thread that inspired me.
I thought I was flying by the seat of my pants. Thank you Phil and ocjack for showing me a pond that is exciting to explore and establish contentment.
Ben
Old 12-20-2020, 01:59 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabie2424 View Post
This thread reinforces my passion for this hobby. Great project. Amazing results. Insanely cool cards. Friends and connections made. You’re doing it all correct. Absolute A+ !!!
Thank you for saying.
My thoughts exactly; it helps me to know that there are others out there.