NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2020, 07:31 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I would send it USPS Registered with insurance. You must use gummed brown paper tape on all seams of the box.
You could send it Priority but for me Registered is just a little "safer".
Old 11-27-2020, 02:11 PM
J0hn H@rper

I don't get any of these POVs saying "use a purchase receipt" to prove the value of cards. Not only does the purchase price have nothing to do with what something's worth now, but naturally some people have had their cards for many, many years (or even since childhood), and would never have such a receipt.

I'm not sure what the best answer is for these insurance claims spots, but needing the proof of purchase is one of the worst. If the post office can't use info like VCP as a good enough indication of something's value, then they shouldn't offer insurance at all
Old 11-27-2020, 06:10 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I am going to send in a stack of raw cards to SGC for grading. The total value will likely be between $2-$3k.

Should I send via USPS registered mail?
Do I need to take pictures of the cards I send as 'evidence' in case I need to file a claim? For cards purchased here and on FB groups via Paypal F&F, I don't think those transactions have receipts.

This will be my first submission, want to make sure I do this the right way.

Thank you
I've always sent via Overnight Express via USPS insured with no problem, so like to PSA it goes to a PO Box or SGC to their office so not so many hands touch it. Though these days, might revert to Registered Mail as its seems "lost package" threads seem to be rising...

Also would be interested in hearing what company people are using for privat insurance? Chubb? I remember another that also does sportscards but can't remember name...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:17 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I would send it USPS Registered with insurance. You must use gummed brown paper tape on all seams of the box.
You could send it Priority but for me Registered is just a little "safer".
For those who may not have used "gummed brown paper tape" before, here is a link to Staples.com where it can be bought:

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Stan...product_468231

If you're in the store, ask (or look) for "water-activated" tape.

Lastly, be sure to cover all seams. To make it easy, think of taping the corners and edge of the box like you are wrapping a gift.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-27-2020, 06:19 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
I don't get any of these POVs saying "use a purchase receipt" to prove the value of cards. Not only does the purchase price have nothing to do with what something's worth now, but naturally some people have had their cards for many, many years (or even since childhood), and would never have such a receipt.

I'm not sure what the best answer is for these insurance claims spots, but needing the proof of purchase is one of the worst. If the post office can't use info like VCP as a good enough indication of something's value, then they shouldn't offer insurance at all
I agree here. I have exactly zero receipts for any of my cards. Of course I don't have any really large value cards for which I may have asked for a receipt but still. If the PO sells you insurance for a certain amount and they lose the damn package then they should suck it up and pay out. Whoa, I got a little heated there for a second. Sorry.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-27-2020, 07:04 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

People who buy/sell anything of value really need to look into a 3rd party insurance policy like Collect Insure.

You’ll save so much money in the not so long run but not buying pointless insurance on packages every time
Old 11-27-2020, 09:45 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
People who buy/sell anything of value really need to look into a 3rd party insurance policy like Collect Insure.

You’ll save so much money in the not so long run but not buying pointless insurance on packages every time
I’m working with them now on a quote. Seems like the best way to go about all of this. Looks like pretty decent insurance.

Tickets/Stubs:
Hank Aaron 714 HR
Hank Aaron 715 HR
Gehrig Appreciate Day
Shot Heard Round the World
1975 WS Game 6
1st All Star Game 1933
1986 WS Game 6
1988 WS Game 1
Dents HR 1978
Harvey Haddix May 29, 1959
Babe Ruth Called Shot
1955 WS Game 7
Bartman Game - Cubs
Billy Goat Game - Cubs
Black Cat Game - Cubs
Ray Chapman Hit
Brett Pine Tar Game
Merkles Boner
Old 11-27-2020, 10:54 PM
Tom Re.bert

I filed a USPS claim 10/23/2020, up loaded the Ebay sale with the claim. In this case the box appeared to be compromised and the card was missing. When the opened damaged refused box was returned I gave it to the post office as advised per a USPS response letter.
So its been a month and the claim history still shows under review. The insured card was sold for $650.00 so no life changer, but a month seems long enough to find the missing card. I do have private insurance but don't feel they should pay for what the Postal insured should. Talking with another collector whom filed a claim said it took forever to get paid--I do know my Congressman but hesitate to get him involved over 650.00. My situation may be a cheap education because I have used priority mail in the past to send in valuable cards for grading, so in the future will go the registered mail route!

Last edited by Directly; 11-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Lines can be long enough. Imagine if every person who sent an item insured had to show proof of value and the clerk had to go through an approval process while people stood there. Come on.
I had that years ago at UPS.

Two heavy items I figured would be cheaper that way.
One an old computer. old enough to be collectible, even in the horrible trash picked condition it was in. Missing drive, and a bit of hay where the drive should be.
The other a Victrola stand up model that had the base and record cabinet cut off. But it still worked.

I didn't want insurance.
Had to say what was in them.
Then open them up.
They rejected the computer since it wasn't in the original packaging.
Rejected the Victrola because "we don't accept antiques"
WT.... Neither had sold for more than their basic $100 coverage for loss. Which I don't believe they would have paid anyway.
Both were very well packed.

Took them to the post office, shipped no problem, and for less than UPS.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:58 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
I had a similar experience mailing to Boca. My package was listed as undeliverable even though SGC was a block from the Post Office. The Post Office said they were unable to find the package. I contacted SGC, and they found it at their facility after I gave them the tracking number. I think that too much sun in the Boca area is having a frying effect on people's brains.
Jim
I sent some cards to sgc last month. They said they could not deliver because no one was there, held for pickup. Luckily the next day they were received.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13