NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default Public Service announcement- scraps on ebay

Posted By: leon

I know this is not liked by some board members but I also know there are a hell of a lot of newbie lurkers that want to get into vintage collecting. With that being said I want to show an auction for something that is not a card and will probably be sold for more than it should be. Things cut out of magazines, and graded by BS companies (ironically the name of the grading company has "BS" in it), are not good buys. Also, 98% of private auctions are not good places to buy things. If this email helps one newbie then it will be worthwile. If it doesn't then at least it helps show we care about protecting our hobby......pardon the interruption....regards

http://cgi.ebay.com/1928-BABE-RUTH-PUTNAM-161-GRADED-MINT-9_W0QQitemZ5228299724QQcategoryZ86837QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

Old 08-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

...all of your Scrapps
Especially the Hanlon and Thompson ones. I will properly dispose of them for you.

(Above, in jest. Below, just whining)

Guys, I know that eBay has shown little interest in shutting down these types of auctions but c'mon...they get a lot of money from us baseball collectors/sellers & buyers. Couldn't we force these guys into at least listing the item as it is, uncluttering the vintage listings from cutouts? sheesh...

Brian L
familytoad

Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Leon,

I only post when i feel i have something constructive to add which isn't often as a am perfectly comfortable reading what others more experianced than i have to say but i do throw in my 2cnts every now and than.

I have many friends who are just starting out on ebay and ask me ?'s about these auctions all the time. If a thread could be continued showing these types of auctions when they pop up or at least diffrent variations of them it would be invaluable to some less knowledgable who lurk here. Also maybe it would cut down on some of these scams on scambay. Remember we are all collectors and i think we should try to look out for each other.

njvintagecards/jesgold

regards,
scott

Old 08-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

This auction listing does not contain any non-factual statements which I noticed. For example:

The item offered is 100% original, authentic and issued in the year stated (1928).

It is authenticated and graded Mint 9. I am not sure what a Putnam #161 refers to, but although I never heard of it, I did not try to look it up either.

It is on card stock.

Of course, it is not a baseball card. But the seller did not say that it was. What could eBay do?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

The graded item wasn't issued in 1928. A book or magazine that it was a part of was issued in 1928 and this is a partial piece of that destroyed item. The way it is advertised and graded, leads a buyer to believe that the piece was issued individually. It amazes me that people buy this trash. I have them come up to my table now and then asking what they are worth and I tell them "whatever you can get for the empty plastic case".

Old 08-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A standard rule for beginners is to buy a Standard Catalog or Becket Almanac and stick to cards listed in the book.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

How is this auction listed on "card stock"? There isn't the usual "helpful" scan, but I don't think baseball guide pages, whether glossy photo pages or not, would qualify as card stock.

Max

Old 08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The grading company is located....drum roll.........in Hawaii.....for those that don't know this, very well known history, that is where one of the biggest scammers is from...Roy Huff....and almost no doubt this grading company is a phony piece of poop....These are not technically incorrect auctions as Roy and his ilk (is that the word) have gotten smarter. They straddle the line just enough not to be booted.....the bastards....regards all

Old 08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

The majority of scammers are not trying to fool Bill Mastro or seasoned collectors. They are trying to fool people who know nothing (and I mean nothing) about baseball cards and the hobby. Like tides and boats, even a little knowledge raises a collector above many scams.

If a collector is bidding good money on a 'Putnam Babe Ruth' in a BVGSA holder in a private auction, he has pretty much hit the trifecta of baseball card collecting ignorance.

While my guide focuses on in person authenitication and reprint identification, it will include a chapter to help total beginning collectors-- including the "little knowledge" to raise their boats above most eBay scams ("avoid private auctions," "stick to cards listed in Standard Catalog," "stick to reputable graders," recommended books). I will be more than happy to sell a copy to any eBayer who wants it (I'm not averse to $$). However, I'm well aware that, even when the booklet is available, some eBayers will feel their money is better invested "Whitaker Ty Cobbs," "Vanity Fair Joe Jacksons" and "Green Bay Press-Gazzette Coupon Section Walter Johnsons" than in a dumb guide. That's just the way it is. Some people approach collecting and a hobby as an opportunity to learn, some don't.

I have always enjoyed helping out and giving advice to collectors who are intelectually curious and have a genuine interest what they collect or something new they stumbled upon at a garage sale. This is what the hobby is about .... On the other hand, I have no affection for these pint size eBay 'investors' who purchase items without caring in the least or having any intention to learn one iota about the item's history or non-financial value. Life is too short to shed a tear because that 0.5cm stopsigncut (e.g. the only conceivable reason someone paid $200 for something that butt ugly is beause he thought it was a good financial investment, and if he did actually buy it because of it's 'stunning beauty' for God's sake don't let him fix you up on a blind date) "Vanity Fair Joe Jackson with Partial Ad on Back" didn't bring the eBay investor his expected thousands upon resale.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I see this seller has this stuff all the time. He cuts stuff out of the newspaper and has it graded? What for? I just dont see the point of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-1905-Spalding-Pre-T206-HONUS-WAGNER-NMMT-8_W0QQitemZ5229314385QQcategoryZ111053QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

"I had the right to remain silent. I just didn't have the ability" Ron White

Old 08-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Why do it?

Because he can! He's techinally not doing anything wrong and collector's are simply so stupid. I'd like to make $50 for every photo I cut out of an old newspaper. You don't think he laughs everytime an auction ends?

Look at some of his feedbacks by the "duh buyers". These are the ones that knew they were duped:

1) Doesnt appear to even be a card. Appears to be cut out of newspaper
2) THERE IS NO VSA GRADING COMPANY,IF YOU BUY ASK HIM WHY THE PRIVATE BIDDERS
3) Arrived but never haderd of vsa grading
4) you suck ILL NEVER PAY FOR THAT CRAP!!
5) WHAT A SCAM GUESS WHO VGA GRADING IS,EMAIL ME ,DO NOT BUY,COPY'S
6) it's a picture from a news paper
Response: Of course it is. Thats what U bid on. Didnt U read the dscription?
7) placing was crooked-what paper did it get cut out from

DJ

Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I didnt mean, why does he do it. I Know why he does it. people will pay for any thing I guess. I meant, why would people pay $50 for a photo out of a newspaper, when its clearly stated that its cut out of Spalding catalogs and newspapers? Just doesnt make any sense to me. If they want old memorabilia, why dont they spend their money on a T206 psa 4?? About the same money and legit products. I am amazed at people every day. Out

"I had the right to remain silent. I just didn't have the ability" Ron White

Old 08-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

suppose your 10 year old and wife want to surprise you and buy you a vintage card for fathers day. so they log on to ebay,then go to cards pre 1930 on ebay.they know nothing about vintage cards, but dad really likes them. enter mr. roy huff...he preys on the naive.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I understand that, but there also people who will put their tongues in light sockets. What am I supposed to do, write a guide listing things readers should not put their tongues in?

At some point, buyers (even if they are wives and 10 year olds) have to take some modicum of responsibility for their purchases, because neither I nor anyone else has enough time to put plastic covers on all outlets in the world.

Lastly, I have had men, women, retirees, boys and girls ask me questions for help about art and memorabilia. I once had an 8 year old girl in Austrai\lia email me asking for help with her homework on the history photography. So I can testify that it is not against nature's law or Newtonian physics for an eBayer to do homework or ask for advice. If an 8 year old can do it, adult eBayers can do it.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

http://cgi.ebay.com/BABE-RUTH-GRADED-CUT-OUT_W0QQitemZ5230290152QQcategoryZ16269QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

We are valueing these now? Two up, $800 value!

DJ

Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

Dennis, while that may hold true for some I can attest that it would not happen to me. My wife said once how she would have liked to have done that for me (buy me a nice vintage card as a gift) but decided not to because she knows she hasn't a clue about them. I tend to believe most wouldn't buy something they know nothing about (notice I said MOST as this thread proves some do!). Unfortunately, my wife doesn't have an interest to learn in order to buy me one.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

my wife and daughter wouldn't either a t shirt with white sox/cubs/baseball is easier to find at the mall!