NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-26-2020, 12:05 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Info on Jay Picture Packs Color Photos??

Hi Gang:

Any Jay Picture Pack collectors out there? I have most of the Phillies and similar team issued sets.

Came upon the 1960 Jay Football Yearbook shown below which listed on the back cover issues/sets available to mail order.

I am familiar with the Jay photo/picture packs and the yearbooks they issued for some teams, but I am not sure I saw or know about the team color photos advertised in the bottom right of the page.

The only thing I can think of that would match the description ( at least of the Phillies) was a color team photo that were attached/inserted to pennants. The photo is a similar size to the 5" x 7" Jay B&W picture pack photos

The 1960 Phillies team photo pennants come with a B&W photo as well as a color photo. All later pennants had color photos.

You can see one of the 1960 Phillies pennants here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phillies-19...UAAOSwd1deDNXF

So, does anyone have any info on these Jay color photos? If so please post here along with scans of any you may have. It seems strange they only list a few teams and not them all.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jay YB cover.jpg (75.2 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Jay YB back cover.jpg (77.3 KB, 291 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Curt

Wonder how many, if any, ponied up the $10 for the whole collection. Looks like that is about $87 in today's $. That would have been a pretty large purchase that would require a kid making minimum wage ($1/Hr) to work at least 2 days to pay for.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Marty

Hey Fred! Hope things are well!

I picked up a bunch of color 5x7 team photos (mostly football but some baseball) quite a few years ago. I think they date from the early to mid 60s - maybe 1964 or 1965, if I recall correctly. Always liked them but they listed no manufacturer on the back, just the team name and row by row identification of the players. Seemed to me they were likely the same photos that were used in the pennants. Your post makes me wonder if maybe these were all produced by Jay, perhaps? Will dig these out again when I get a chance and look at them closer.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:39 PM

I found this on WorthPoint, that is very likely the 1960 color team photo.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:43 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hey Marty:

Been awhile! All good here. Hope the same for you.

Below is a back page of a Jay FB Guide that lists the football team photos. Hopefully when you find yours it will match the list of BB and FB team photos on the lists.

As for the photos on the pennants, the one I checked for the Phillies did not have a Jay ID rather the concessioneer for the Phillies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jay FB.jpg (74.6 KB, 219 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Marty

Hey Fred!

Finally dug some of them out. I think mine are from 1962-1963 or so, but definitely look different than the one in your picture. No manufacturing info. I think the football photos might be the same photos used for the 1962 Tang football team picture set, but nothing to indicate they are related to Tang. Probably the official team photos used for multiple purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201004_102134.jpg (78.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 20201004_102215.jpg (72.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:14 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Jay Team photos?

Hi Marty:

Thanks for posting your pictures.

However, I was mistaken when I said here is a list of the Football team photos when I posted my last image above. The list was for the picture packs. I see no reference or proof that Jay issued color football team photos. Or hockey for that matter since I see you have one of them too

But, I see you have three baseball photos. The Phillies, the Cardinals and I can't make out what the last baseball team photo is. Can you please advise.

FWIW the Phillies photo IS the one that came on one of the Phillies pennants that had the team photo.

Curious what team is shown in that final baseball photo.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:33 AM
Marty

Hey Fred!

The other team is the Detroit Tigers. Did a quick search and see that the football photos were apparently used for the 1962 pennants, and the baseball for the 1963 pennants. I got a bunch of these probably 15 years ago - am guessing that at one point they sold both pennants and the pictures separately, as the pictures show signs of some handling but not ever being attached to a pennant. A couple of pics I found on the interwebs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (77.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg browns pennant.JPG (48.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Marty:

I have to assume that your photos are NOT the Jay color photos I referenced.

If you look closely at the list of color baseball photos they listed on the back of the 1960 Football Yearbook it lists six baseball teams and the Tigers are not one of them.

Thus I am stymied. They don't list any football color photos just the picture packs and the baseball teams they list having the color photos for do not include your Tigers.

Still would be nice to find out who issued the ones you have though.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Marty

Hey Fred!

Yeah - I guess it's possible the subjects and style changed by 1963, but the ones I have definitely look different from the one you showed. I really don't know much about pennant manufacturers - guessing there were multiple manufacturers of team picture pennants, and maybe Jay publishing was involved, but who knows? The lack of manufacturer info on the back is not too helpful!
Old 10-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Mike

Is this what you are referring to: Lot 302 in this current auction has a 1960 5 x 7 Pirates color photo that was available via mail. what do you think?
www.brockelmanauctions.com

https://www.brockelmanauctions.com/C...=25&category=1

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 10-13-2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Is this what you are referring to: Lot 302 in this current auction has a 1960 5 x 7 Pirates color photo that was available via mail. what do you think?
www.brockelmanauctions.com

https://www.brockelmanauctions.com/C...=25&category=1
By Jove Mike I think you've got it!!

This item certainly hits all the marks as far as I am concerned.

The envelope is similar to those used for the Jay photos, the postmark on the envelope SEEMS to say New Canaan Conn. as the ad states, it is the proper size, is in color and one of the few teams listed is the Pirates!

I also have to believe the 1960 photo of the Phillies shown above in the post by Cliff is the Jay issue as well.

So now we just have to find the Orioles, Cardinals, Reds and A's![/LIST]