NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Question about Grading

I have searched and can't find any answers to my current question. I'm hoping that the deep knowledge pool here can assist. I have a Beckett card graded through their Raw service apparently at the Chicago convention last year. I purchased this and it appears to be legit with the sticker intact. It is a older card and I need it for my collection in this particular grade. I called Beckett about having it slabbed and I was informed by their employee that the grading process will start again for this card once it is sent to them and there is no guarantee that it will get the same grade. Apparently the previous grading means nothing at this point (after convention). I have three options:
1) Send to Beckett and hope for the best.
2) Send to Psa as a crossover to only be broke out if it meets the grade that it has previously received.
3) Keep it in its current state (with Raw Sticker intact from Beckett).

I would like opinions on this please. The advantage of number 2 (If Psa will accept a raw grade as a crossover) is that if Psa won't give it the grade I want I can still send it to Beckett.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I would think Beckett would have a predilection towards keeping it at that grade, in part because one of their employees already assigned it that grade. I assume the person who raw graded it was one of Beckett's regular graders.

I'm not saying Beckett won't change the grade and I'm not giving any percentages one way or the other, but it would seem a strong chance if not probably chance it would receive the same grade. They may have told you what they told you mostly because they can't guarantee anything without seeing the card in their hands. They can't assign a definite grade over the telephone.

Last edited by drcy; 07-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As it has already gotten the grade from one of their graders, the strongest chance is it will receive the same grade from Beckett.

I don't know what you want to do with the card, but keeping it as is seems a reasonable option to me. Granted, I'm not a graded card guy and its not my card.
I agree that the strongest chance would be from Beckett. I guess from their perspective its possible that someone has tampered or damaged the card after the show was over. If the card is removed from its holder and goes through the grading process again blindly it does put chance (as we all know) back into the grading procedure. The PSA route is interesting because of the fact that the card stays in the holder if it will not crossover.
As far as keeping it in its current state, I like the idea of being to recoup my investment on a card and I think selling it raw (sticker intact) some day will be tough (higher chance of fraud).
Old 07-13-2013, 01:42 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I would say it depends on what the card is worth. If its a 20-30 dollar card once graded forget sending it in, not worth the time money or hassle. Simply wait until u see another one that has already been graded and purchase that one, then offer your current card on ebay.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I would say it depends on what the card is worth. If its a 20-30 dollar card once graded forget sending it in, not worth the time money or hassle. Simply wait until u see another one that has already been graded and purchase that one, then offer your current card on ebay.
To clarify the card is worth several hundred dollars in its current grade.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I would send it to Beckett, since as David said, they'll probably want to keep it in the same grade. Since the raw card reviews are in a Card Saver however, they can be damaged if they are dropped, something falls on the card, etc. It's probably more of a general disclaimer that they can't guarantee the original grade on the card. Still to protect yourself, you can probably still submit the card as a crossover with the minimum grade as the grade on the card. If it doesn't crossover to Beckett, it probably won't cross to PSA since Beckett would already be giving it the benefit of the doubt as discussed before. Then, I'd just sell the card in the raw card review holder.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I would send it to Beckett, since as David said, they'll probably want to keep it in the same grade. Since the raw card reviews are in a Card Saver however, they can be damaged if they are dropped, something falls on the card, etc. It's probably more of a general disclaimer that they can't guarantee the original grade on the card. Still to protect yourself, you can probably still submit the card as a crossover with the minimum grade as the grade on the card. If it doesn't crossover to Beckett, it probably won't cross to PSA since Beckett would already be giving it the benefit of the doubt as discussed before. Then, I'd just sell the card in the raw card review holder.
Will Beckett treat a crossover in the same way as PSA? That is keep it in its original holder unless it will meet the grade. If this is the case then there is little risk in having Beckett do a crossover service. Worst thing that could happen would be I get the card back with my original grade. I would think it would be poor business practice and publicity for Beckett to do this (not honor its own grade).
Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM

Default Beckett RCR

Crossfire,

I see your predicament. I am considering some of the same options; however, my card is already graded by Beckett (BGS) and therefore, does not have an "indicative" grade as your does through their RCR (Raw Card Review) service.

I am not a graded card expert by any means. I am happy with the grade and am going to leave my card "as is" for right now - but if I ever sell the set or card - I will go with option #2 above using a cross-over service with my minimum established grade (they won't break it out and re-slab it if they feel it does not grade to your specified grade).

However, since your card is in an RCR semi-rigid holder with an indicative grade, I would be tempted to go ahead and have it officially grade in a rigid holder.

Best of luck either way.

Z Wheat
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I had this same experience with a T206 Cobb (bat on shoulder) in a pregraded Beckett holder with an overall grade of 2.5. I sent it to BVG for encapsulation and it came back BVG 2.5 in the official slab.