NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Frank Wakefield

Default 25 years ago today, Pete Rose and hit #4192

Twenty-five years and one day ago, I was living in Fort Thomas, Kentucky, just across the river from Riverfront Stadium. I was in school, I could hear the fireworks whenever a Red hit a home run, or when the Reds won a game. I could leave a game as the last out was made, and usually get home before the Reds radio had their scoreboard. I was close. Sometimes, after a night class, I could go over to Riverfront, park out front, and walk in as they took down the turnstiles after the 6th inning. I saw the last 3 innings of several games while I was in school, I think one went 14 innings...

As Pete neared Ty Cobb's record, a few of my baseball fan classmates and I got to thinking about when Pete might get the hit. As time got close, I settled on Tuesday, September the 10th. A night game with the Padres. I got 4 tickets.

Three of my classmates and I went to the game that night. We'd predicted well, Pete had 4191 hits, and needed one. That night against the Padres he went 0 for 4. Flashbulbs going off with each pitch of each at bat. I think he hit a line drive at an infielder his last time up, the only ball he hit solidly... we were shattered. The game had been a sell-out, tickets were going through the roof. The Reds had built plywood platforms behind the top row of lower deck seats, and set up folding chairs on the platforms, people were jamming into that little Riverfront Stadium. As we walked over to the parking structure we dragged along, Wednesday night's game was already sold out. Our upper deck Tuesday seats had been affordable, even by student standards. We saw Wednesday tickets going for $100 each as we left the ballpark.

Once in the parking structure, we got to our level, and as we walked to my car there was this young guy, maybe 18 or 20, and he was standing in the driving lane, crying. At first I thought he was drunk, then crazy. I asked if he was ok... He said no, that he had taken off work tonight to see Pete, Pete had let him down, that he had tickets for tomorrow night, but that he couldn't get out of work tomorrow night... I asked if he wanted to sell his tickets. He quit crying and said yes, pulling 4 tickets from his pocket. I looked to make sure they were for Wednesday night, then asked how much he wanted for his tickets. He asked $100 for all 4, I said we'd take them, then it took all 4 of us to pool our money to buy the 4.

As we went to the game Wednesday night, we all 4 agreed that Pete had to do it tonight, because we had a night class Thursday night, one we really shouldn't miss.

Old Pete didn't let us down. As he batted in the first inning the flashbulbs resumed, just before each pitch. After a few pitches he hit a humpbacked soft liner over the shortstop, into left center. They stopped the game for a while... The place had a World Series frenzy. Eric Show, the pitcher, threw some warm up tosses while the hoopla continued.

I am well satisfied that Pete should NOT be in enshrined in the Hall of Fame. I'm also convinced that Pete Rose was one of the most driven, competitive baseball players ever to play. He was all about winning every ballgame he was in. He had more passion for the game than most. He was a great player. He could hit. I'm glad he got that hit. And looking back, I'm glad he got his hit on September the 11th, instead of the 10th. It cost me $25 more, but it's more memorable.

The Reds painted a white circle on the Astroturf, around where that hit landed; the circle stayed there for the next season.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 AM
marty

Thank you for making me feel old! I remember that game, at least that moment.. fairly well.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Rob Miller

Great thread Frank!!

Very much related, there is a very interesting and sad article about the life of Eric Show on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=5543839

That game was a major part of this article.

Last edited by Robextend; 09-11-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Jeff

With a corked bat no less, right?
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=pete+rose

Last edited by HRBAKER; 09-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Rose!

Frank, thanks for sharing your story and starting this great thread.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Frank Wakefield

Sorry about the old, Marty!!! Pete was a ballplayer. He's one of the old dirt and spit, fire and hustle, grit and sinew players that I think of when I look at those Old Judge ballplayers. I wonder if they'd let him serve as attitude coach for the National League's All Star teams, if then the NL wouldn't put together another streak of dominance.

Hadn't heard that Pete's bat was corked that night. But I was aware of the events that befell Eric Show.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Barry Sloate

Great story Frank, and well told. I too remember that game.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks Frank. Cool story, I was in college then, dont remember that I saw the game. I admire what he did on the field. Enough that I have a large photo of him on the diamond in my office.

Frank
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Great thread Frank!!

Very much related, there is a very interesting and sad article about the life of Eric Show on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=5543839

That game was a major part of this article.
I read the Show bio. How tragic.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Jeff

No kidding, what a tortured life.