NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default New Guy Question: R346 Blue Tint/ Regular

Posted By: Dave

Hello, I'm a new reader of this forum and just got into vintage collecting. I was hoping for a little help with the R346 Cards. I tried to search posts, but was unable to do it.

1) Is the Blue Tint R346 a premium over a regular issue?

2) If so what makes it a premium and are these cards fairly easy to come across?

3) Has either set been reprinted and are there any traits that would help me in identifying a fraud.

Any comments on the set itself would be also be greatly appreciated. Again thanks for your help in advance

-Dave

Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Hi dave and welcome to the board. The blue tints are an issue of cards, not premiums. They are not popular and are inexpensive. You can get names like Joe Dimaggio and Lou Gehrig for under $100. For this reason, I would think it highly unlikely that there would be a reprint issue of these. They wouldn't be worth the printing. If the look like hell and are on junk cardboard, then they are original. Dan.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Thank you... I do understand that they aren't the prettiest... but I was wondering if these were the same card because the 2nd picture is so bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=641&item=5162453185&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5162183279&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thanks for the info... I'm big into Gehrig right now.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The listing of the second card which you provided a link for has several characteristics which constitute warning signs. Specificly:

- seller has low feedback
- seller disclaims knowledge of card offered
- scan provided is not clear
- seller has no documented vintage card experience

I would not bid on this card for this combination of reasons. There are probably other reasons too, but I have compiled enuff for my decision.

The first card, on the other hand is being offered by a seller with an established good reputation in the industry for honesty. Some think that Kit Young charges too much for his cards, while others contend that his service, policies and credibility are worth the potential additional price.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I'm with Gilbert on this one. First is guaranteed good.....2nd is too questionable to bid on, imo......scan is so fuzzy that that it could be a fake very easily...although as pointed out it would be stupid.....however I've seen "stupider".....good luck....

Old 02-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the advice guys.. just wanted to also let you know that I purchased at Gehrig '33 Goudey SGC 50 off Ebay after reading this board for some time. It helped me to understand grading card companies and their standards. It was a big price, but when it came in... it was just like I had expected... undergraded (at least from my view). Easily a PSA 5.

I also got a'48 Swell Sports Thrills Gehrig #14 for 30 bucks. The card shows some aging, but still undervalued for what I paid...

This really is an unreal board and I thank everyone here for sharing their knowledge about cards. I couldn't put a price tag on the stuff I've learned learn here just from reading.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I'm with you on that Dave. What Ive learned from this board would have taken me ten times as long everywhere else.